Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 7,224 times

Advertisements

Moving to work for WM in Bentonville - which areas would you recommend for family of 4 with children aged 13 and 15. Taking into account schools, things to do and closeness to malls / eating places would Fayetteville (which areas) or Rogers be best. Looking to spend approx $500k - $600k on house.

THANKS

Old 12-04-2009, 03:57 PM

163 posts, read 616,543 times
Scott, there is a lot of information on here from other WM re-locatees.

Best way to get specific information is to use the 'search' function on the Arkansas forum. You will be surprised with the quality of information that is available.

Good luck with the move.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:35 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
$500-$600K? You can get A LOT of house in Arkansas for that kind of coin - especially in this economy. There are a lot of houses that were built and never sold because the housing bubble burst = new houses for great prices.

Any of the big four [Benotnville, Rogers, Springdale, & Fayetteville] have good schools, probably the best schools in the state (that isn't saying much though).

Lowell is right in the middle of NWA. That might be a good place to start.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
$500-$600K? You can get A LOT of house in Arkansas for that kind of coin - especially in this economy. There are a lot of houses that were built and never sold because the housing bubble burst = new houses for great prices.

Any of the big four [Benotnville, Rogers, Springdale, & Fayetteville] have good schools, probably the best schools in the state (that isn't saying much though).

Lowell is right in the middle of NWA. That might be a good place to start.
Yep, Lowell is in the middle, but if I were spending anywhere close to that money I would lean toward Fayetteville or bentonville. Both areas have so many awesome homes. Bella Vista does as well, but he the home overlooking the lakes are mostly in the Gravette school district which isn't as good as Bentonville, Fayetteville and Rogers.

Nita

Old 12-04-2009, 08:02 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
Speaking of schools, understand that you have the option of taking your students to any of the schools in the area - even if you do not live in the district. The Arkansas school-choice law allows you to do this, but you will be responsible for transportation and if the kids play athletics it can get a little complicated (unless they go to Shiloh Christian )

Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
One of the prettiest areas of nice homes is on N. Crest Drive in Fayetteville. They homes are classic, and aa little older but, they very well built and placed in a well maintained area. I have friends who live in the 1000 block of N.Crest. I absolutely love the area.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Speaking of schools, understand that you have the option of taking your students to any of the schools in the area - even if you do not live in the district. The Arkansas school-choice law allows you to do this, but you will be responsible for transportation and if the kids play athletics it can get a little complicated (unless they go to Shiloh Christian )
While you can request a transfer to different schools within the same district or even request a transfer to a different school district (e.g. you live in Fayetteville but want your kids to go to Bentonville), you are not guaranteed your request will be honored. In Fayetteville, if your request is honored it is only good for one school year. You have to reapply every year.

Ages 13 and 15, huh? This is a hard age to move (I moved to Fayetteville when I was 15). My advice, let your children feel a part of the decision. I was able to visit the high school, meet teachers, etc. before our family's move. Seeing the course selection book was eye-opening even way back then!

What are your children's interests? Are they into sports, arts, etc? Each town has its specialty.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
While you can request a transfer to different schools within the same district or even request a transfer to a different school district (e.g. you live in Fayetteville but want your kids to go to Bentonville), you are not guaranteed your request will be honored. In Fayetteville, if your request is honored it is only good for one school year. You have to reapply every year.

Ages 13 and 15, huh? This is a hard age to move (I moved to Fayetteville when I was 15). My advice, let your children feel a part of the decision. I was able to visit the high school, meet teachers, etc. before our family's move. Seeing the course selection book was eye-opening even way back then!

What are your children's interests? Are they into sports, arts, etc? Each town has its specialty.
good advise about kids being part of the decision if possible. We moved our kids a few times when they were in their teens, did they survive and mature to be good adults? Yes, but if I had it to do over again I would at least have let them be more involved in our choices. The lucky thing for us, they were all joiners and athletic so they fit in easily.

Thanks for clearing up the part about the transfers, I didn't think it was 100% true the kids could go to any district. I say that, because one of the problems we have, here in BV is attracting families with kids..The east side sends kids to Bentonville schools, our side it is Gravette.

Nita

Old 12-07-2009, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,224 times
Thanks. fayetteville looks like it will be better for us. looking for a neighborhood with other kids of that age but also somewhere well placed that we can walk to some places. Don't really want a sub-division 3 miles from downtown Fayetteville. We will look at N.Crest Drive but recommendations of anywhere else would be welcomed.

Also if at list price is %500k would would normal selling price be ?

THANKS TO EVERYONE

Old 12-07-2009, 02:23 PM

77 posts, read 238,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott55 View Post
Thanks. fayetteville looks like it will be better for us. looking for a neighborhood with other kids of that age but also somewhere well placed that we can walk to some places. Don't really want a sub-division 3 miles from downtown Fayetteville. We will look at N.Crest Drive but recommendations of anywhere else would be welcomed.

Also if at list price is %500k would would normal selling price be ?

THANKS TO EVERYONE
The vast majority of Fayetteville is what I consider a terrible mistake of post WWII planning. Most of the town's commercial activity is segregated from its residential areas. Most roads do not have sidewalks and many that do have far to many curb cuts to be safe for pedestrians.

You have now limited yourself to very small area in Fayetteville
Wilson Park/Dickson St/Square: North Street to W Mountain Street between the Railroad and College Ave.

Even then the area lacks certain amenities that I was spoiled with in Brooklyn, such as a butcher, deli, green grocer. But if you wanna get yourself Drunk, then you found the right spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers