Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:32 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well I happen to trust the cops until I know differently..i have absolutely no reason not to believe them.

Nita
My uncle was a retired police officer and then a district attorney and then a judge. He told me the sad truth that cops are no different than anyone else...they lie, they steal, and they commit crimes. You should trust them no more than you trust anyone else that you don't know. I think those were wise words. Based on the Arkansas news regarding some police officers divergence from the law they are supposed to enforce, I would have to agree with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
My uncle was a retired police officer and then a district attorney and then a judge. He told me the sad truth that cops are no different than anyone else...they lie, they steal, and they commit crimes. You should trust them no more than you trust anyone else that you don't know. I think those were wise words. Based on the Arkansas news regarding some police officers divergence from the law they are supposed to enforce, I would have to agree with him.
Hotair, I too have had close friends and relatives with the police dept and of course they are human, but when they are doing their job, I happen to believe them until I have a reason not to, that is my point..What do you know about the Bella Vista police Dept? I am just cuious...Normally speaking they do not go around arresting people just for the HELL of it.

Nita

Old 12-17-2009, 07:39 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Hotair, I too have had close friends and relatives with the police dept and of course they are human, but when they are doing their job, I happen to believe them until I have a reason not to, that is my point..What do you know about the Bella Vista police Dept? I am just cuious...Normally speaking they do not go around arresting people just for the HELL of it.

Nita
I live in a small Southern town, know many of the police officers and the higher-ups (sheriff, chief of police, etc.) personally, and while they are not perfect (no one is), they are very conscientious in their jobs. That old stereotype of small-town policemen doesn't hold water here.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Quote:
Excellent post.

We have a tendency to place people of certain professions on pedestals, always giving them the benefit of the doubt. That's a mistake. That's how some tv preachers have made off with millions of dollars from sick old ladies. That's how some military folks have gotten away with raping and murdering innocent villagers. That's how some cops have been able to plant drugs and manufacture charges against people they didn't like. That's how John Q. Businessman in Mississippi in the 1950s was able to have a pristine home life, while hiding under a hood at lynchings.

I'm not a Ronald Reagan fan at all, but I remember well one of his best quotes: Trust, but verify.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:07 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:

Nita
Is there a profession that you don't have a relative or a friend working in? I have no idea as to Bella Vista Police Dept. I have never been to Bella Vista. I am speaking in generalities. I know good police officers and I know of bad police officers. I hope people, police officers included, will do the right thing, I trust that some won't. I can't see Bella Vista Police Dept. being any different than any other city in the United States. Maybe it is and each and everyone of the officers that work there have never said an untruth on the job, I somehow doubt that is the case. As I said earlier in my post, I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the story, but I have no reason to believe that it is all true either just because a police officer said it happened. If police officers were always to be believed, we would need no court system. The officer could be the judge and the jury. Fortunately, our founding fathers thought that was probably a bad idea.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Is there a profession that you don't have a relative or a friend working in? I have no idea as to Bella Vista Police Dept. I have never been to Bella Vista. I am speaking in generalities. I know good police officers and I know of bad police officers. I hope people, police officers included, will do the right thing, I trust that some won't. I can't see Bella Vista Police Dept. being any different than any other city in the United States. Maybe it is and each and everyone of the officers that work there have never said an untruth on the job, I somehow doubt that is the case. As I said earlier in my post, I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the story, but I have no reason to believe that it is all true either just because a police officer said it happened. If police officers were always to be believed, we would need no court system. The officer could be the judge and the jury. Fortunately, our founding fathers thought that was probably a bad idea.
Well when you are my age, come from a varied background and a relatively large family plus you have lived in several states, you do tend to have good friends and family members in most professions and most circumstances including a family member in prison. Does that answer your question? No one ever claimed the police dept should be judge and jury.

Nita

Old 12-17-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I live in a small Southern town, know many of the police officers and the higher-ups (sheriff, chief of police, etc.) personally, and while they are not perfect (no one is), they are very conscientious in their jobs. That old stereotype of small-town policemen doesn't hold water here.
My feelings as well. Here most of our few cops that we have would rather give a warning than a ticket most of the time...If they arrested the guys, i will have to beleive they had a reason. If not, the jury will decide and then I will say, of the cops "shame on you" I trust the police in small towns more than in large urban cities. There they see so much crap they become very biased and hard...

Nita

Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Moderator cut: post was previously deleted

Hmmm. I've never been propositioned by a man in a restroom or anywhere else for that matter.

Perhaps you look gay? Perhaps guys' gaydars go crazy as soon as you enter the restroom. I don't know. I just know that what you're describing has never happened to me or to anyone I know -- so maybe it's just something about you.

Last edited by Chickrae; 12-17-2009 at 08:49 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 03:07 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Hmmm. I've never been propositioned by a man in a restroom or anywhere else for that matter.

Perhaps you look gay? Perhaps guys' gaydars go crazy as soon as you enter the restroom. I don't know. I just know that what you're describing has never happened to me or to anyone I know -- so maybe it's just something about you.
Perhaps you and your friends aren't as attractive as the rest of us?

Old 12-17-2009, 03:24 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Well I'm not gay however I do have a nice ass !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers