Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 8,598 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are relocating from FL to NW AR. What are the most liberal areas (we are lesbians)?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 10:05 AM

837 posts, read 2,240,356 times
I would say definitely Eureka.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:36 AM

529 posts, read 1,644,541 times
Yep, Eureka or Fayetteville way before Bentonville.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:02 PM

157 posts, read 515,689 times
Eureka Springs is a well known mecca for gays. They have a popular diversity weekend where a lot of regional gay couples flock. It's a very small place, though.

Fayetteville's pretty progressive as well--college town. And with some 70k, it has many more amenities.

Bentonville is not.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,598 times
I appreciate the responses.

I'm a little concerned that Eureka is so small. We have been there several times and fell in love with the place, though. Anyone know what the cost of living there is compared to Fayetteville? I would imagine jobs are fairly difficult to come by in Eureka. What is Holiday Island like as far as housing?

So Bentonville is pretty conservative then? How is Rogers?

I am doing alot of research online, but i think it's more accurate to hear from people who actually live in the area.

Thank you so much...

Old 04-24-2010, 08:54 PM

99 posts, read 300,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaya View Post
I appreciate the responses.

I'm a little concerned that Eureka is so small. We have been there several times and fell in love with the place, though. Anyone know what the cost of living there is compared to Fayetteville? I would imagine jobs are fairly difficult to come by in Eureka. What is Holiday Island like as far as housing?

So Bentonville is pretty conservative then? How is Rogers?

I am doing alot of research online, but i think it's more accurate to hear from people who actually live in the area.

Thank you so much...
Yeah, jobs out in Eureka are not exactly booming like the rest of the area. Fayetteville seems like you're only other alternative. As you probably already know from research, this is the most conservative part of Arkansas (as far as major residential areas go).

I'm from Rogers and I would feel awfully reluctant to recommend it as THE place for gays or lesbians. I'm not exactly a church-goer and this town often makes me feel like a bad person.

There are some good pockets for you in Fayetteville. Check out the Wilson Park area. It's right next to the university and downtown/Dickson St where all the nightlife is. I've never really figured it out but there seems to be a decent number of homosexuals in that area.

Fayetteville as a whole is more liberal than all of the surrounding cities but still conservative. The university area is much more liberal but much of the undergrad population is actually very conservative coming from rural parts all over the state (plus there is a huge Texan minority at the university).

You will still see radical conservatives in Fayetteville (giving speeches on the street corner or protesting with signs outside the bars on Sat night) but this is the fringe. They just seem to think everyone's going to hell so don't get offended if they yell something at you. Overall, I think you will be pretty well accepted in Fayetteville.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,340,798 times
Eureka would be the ideal place if sexuality was the only variable. If you want decent jobs. shopping, etc, you would be better off in Fayetteville. It is probably one of the most liberal cities outside of Eureka.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,008 times
I live in ROgers and have several gay friends in the area. I don't see Rogers as overly conservative

Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,843,208 times
Eureka Springs is very bohemian. If you are trying to shock people don't go to Eureka Springs. I wore a second skin walking around Springdale. I got some strange looks.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:02 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Eureka would be the ideal place if sexuality was the only variable. If you want decent jobs. shopping, etc, you would be better off in Fayetteville. It is probably one of the most liberal cities outside of Eureka.
I would also suggest Fayetteville, I did notice the poster never came back. I wonder what she decided if anything?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers