Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times

Advertisements

It's the newbie again.

What grocery stores do you recommend in the B'ville/Bella Vista area? We shop at Fry's (Kroger) for most things now, along with Wal-mart, Trader Joe's, and farmer's markets. No Kroger or TJ's close to B'ville, etc., so I'm looking for alternatives, please.

I know we can find everything else we need within a short drive, but am interested in finding quality and low prices for everyday grocery shopping. In our area, I don't care for the quality of the meat or produce sold at our local Wal-marts.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
It's the newbie again.

What grocery stores do you recommend in the B'ville/Bella Vista area? We shop at Fry's (Kroger) for most things now, along with Wal-mart, Trader Joe's, and farmer's markets. No Kroger or TJ's close to B'ville, etc., so I'm looking for alternatives, please.

I know we can find everything else we need within a short drive, but am interested in finding quality and low prices for everyday grocery shopping. In our area, I don't care for the quality of the meat or produce sold at our local Wal-marts.

Thanks in advance!
Don't we all wish for a Trader Joes, we even stock up when we go someplace and have to fly home, in the meanwhile, the best we have but it is a good little store is Allens. Although Allens isn't like Krogers, the specials can be very good the employees are friendly. Where else would you find a store where they insist on taking your groceries to the car for you? Yes, there is Harps, I just find them very pricey. We also use Sams club and yes, Wal Mart sometimes. Now that summer is almost here make sure you check out the Bentonville and Rogers farmers markets, but the best (a little further away) is Fayetteville, plus it is really fun.

I hope this helps a little.

Nita

Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 PM

Excellent! Thank you so much! Allen's sounds great. I can hardly wait to see the farmers markets - nothing compares to really fresh produce, does it?

Your posts are always so helpful, nmnita. I've been combing this forum ever since we decided to make the move, and your posts (and many of the other "regulars") are always solid gold. Thanks for your swift response.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 PM

119 posts, read 346,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
It's the newbie again.

Thanks in advance!
I don't mind the produce of the local Walmarts, it's about the same as the local Harps and IGAs. The beef is a different story, it's mediocre to awful. None of it is cut in-store and it seems to be a lower grade than indicated. I find the ground beef to be especially strange looking.

I'm in Fayetteville and mostly buy meat from Harps and Richards, a local butcher shop. Perhaps someone else here knows of a good butcher around the Bentonville area? There's probably a farmer's market around Bentonville for produce, the Fayetteville one is outstanding.

I will say that I've had many big-city transplants bitterly complain to me about the local grocery stores. There are no high-end groceries like Whole Foods, and the local Harps and IGA stores tend to be on the small size when compared with mid-grade stores from bigger cities.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotive View Post
I don't mind the produce of the local Walmarts, it's about the same as the local Harps and IGAs. The beef is a different story, it's mediocre to awful. None of it is cut in-store and it seems to be a lower grade than indicated. I find the ground beef to be especially strange looking.

I'm in Fayetteville and mostly buy meat from Harps and Richards, a local butcher shop. Perhaps someone else here knows of a good butcher around the Bentonville area? There's probably a farmer's market around Bentonville for produce, the Fayetteville one is outstanding.

I will say that I've had many big-city transplants bitterly complain to me about the local grocery stores. There are no high-end groceries like Whole Foods, and the local Harps and IGA stores tend to be on the small size when compared with mid-grade stores from bigger cities.
Yes, shopping here isn't like shopping in the BIG cities in other states, but we have learned to adjust and actually like it.

There is a butcher shop in Bentonville with very good meat, however as I mentioned Allens has great meat. So does Harps, they are just so pricey.

Yes, there are several local farmers Markets, Rogers has a great one, so does Bentonville, but nothing is quite as much fun as yours in Fayetteville.

Nita

Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotive View Post

Thanks for your input. Having lived in small towns in the past, I'm fine with smaller scale offerings. It's all a matter of scoping out the best an area has to offer, then you adjust.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:02 AM

10 posts, read 41,456 times
The Bentonville Butcher and Deli has very high quality meat if you are willing to pay for it. Sam's is decent, and Allen's does, in fact, have a good butcher.

If you're looking for more natural options, organic foods, or just things you can't get anywhere else- I came to love Ozark Natural Foods (known as "The co-op" to locals) while in college this past year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers