Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 PM

790 posts, read 2,310,878 times

Advertisements

I notice that most successful professionals generally work 50-60 hours a week. Does this apply to the fine arts?

I realize that conventional notions of "success" and "professional" may not be appropriate. I imagine that creative people may define success in their own terms and may not care whether anyone considers them to be professionals or not. So here are my questions:

(1) Do you consider yourself to be a successful artist?

(2) How many hours a week do you spend at your art or at activities related to making a living as an artist?

Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,237,490 times
Although I'm married with child now, it doesn't seem so long ago that I was dating an artist name Leo in the Great Northwest. He was somewhat sullen, but always worked from dusk 'till Midnight. Those were his hours, even on Sundays. But artists, of any sort I think, march to thier own drum.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:13 AM

12 posts, read 42,810 times
I am a full time, self supporting artist.
I love mornings, so tend to piddle about for about 3 hours...begin serious work by 9am and stop at 9pm. Seven days a week.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:55 AM

315 posts, read 1,085,784 times
I start around 9:30 , stop for lunch and continue till about 4:00 pm. I just do it as a hobby because I enjoy it so much but over the years someone has always bought most of my paintings, some I don't sell as I wanted them for myself and I've given some and painted some for members of my family.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 23,610 times
Default Interesting question.

Interesting. As an visual artist who spent well over a decade of his life as a musician, I seem to have brought a few habits with me. I make a clear difference in practicing art and making art, even though sometimes the product of practice can be good art. Therefor I set out to make an art when I feel I have a clear product in mind. But I practice no more than 4 hours a day, any more can be harmful. Sometimes it is a practice of the hand, sometimes it is a practice of the mind.

Anyone who says they are a professional artist and starts making wild claims of working every waking minute is either full of **** or producing ****ty art.

As artists, our time not making art is just as important.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:53 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,282,744 times
I wonder do those hours count the prep time necessary for the materials? Prepping canvas, stretching watercolor paper, cleaning up, brushes, etc. framing, mounting, etc. etc. Also, taking photographs to use for your material - all That takes up a lot of time too. I would tend to think it would depend on what you are working on that defines the hours spent. Most artists I know carry around a little sketch pad with them everywhere.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:39 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,291,433 times
About six to seven hours.

Sometimes those hours are spent working on promotion, negotiating certain things/deals.

There are times when I spend a few hours talking with a Lawyer about certain things that I don't understand. I usually try and handle these things after my six/seven hour work period.

When it comes to practice, i'm always practicing. I feel that what I do has to be ingrained in me as second nature.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 AM

Most of you are spending as much time as I do on painting. Of course those hours include setting up my easel, and paints. And about 45 min. for lunch, and it includes cleaning up my brushes and putting stuff away. I never ever paint after supper, no energy for that. Some of you are putting in more time than myself at it. I never carry a sketch pad around, I pick a picture I like and just paint that or I paint people and dogs, love painting animals.I also visualize something I would like to see on canvas and give that a go, like I said, with me it's just a hobby but I do help teach art classes with a friend for our art club. I order my frames after my painting is done so I have an idea what would look good, can't just put any frame on any picture. I have the corners to try and match what I can order.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDelacroix View Post
Interesting. As an visual artist who spent well over a decade of his life as a musician, I seem to have brought a few habits with me. I make a clear difference in practicing art and making art, even though sometimes the product of practice can be good art. Therefor I set out to make an art when I feel I have a clear product in mind. But I practice no more than 4 hours a day, any more can be harmful. Sometimes it is a practice of the hand, sometimes it is a practice of the mind.

Anyone who says they are a professional artist and starts making wild claims of working every waking minute is either full of **** or producing ****ty art.

As artists, our time not making art is just as important.

I would be interested in finding out the dangers of painting more than 4 hours a day "if there are any dangers of course"

Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,346,260 times
The artist I live with paints in segments of about three hours then a break then another segment. Sometimes that is three a day sometimes two a day, sometimes one a day. Actual brush to canvas time (and cleanup). I have persuaded her to reduce her involvement in the less valuable functions such as stretching canvas, painting surface prep, frame making, etc. Of course those things do have an artistic component and in some circumstances the artist must be involved. But, there are only so many hours in the day and if a painter values their time, fiddling with canvas supports in not its highest and best use.

Given that schedule of actual painting, the week is easily 60 hours what with client meetings and deliveries, installations, speaking engagements, correspondence, research, material purchases, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts