Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:17 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,708 times

Advertisements

I have to be honest, you've got me more interested in this stuff that I would normally just appreciate on a superficial level. I much prefer this stuff over murals, how I loathe murals.

San Francisco

Chore Booge, I think is the painter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:35 PM

448 posts, read 533,803 times
Good I'm glad!! It's an incredible art form and is a huge movement. I love the pics from San Francisco, I've never been over to the west coast, but with LA and SF the Street Art scene must be booming. I've only seen pics like the ones you posted and it seems like there's so much talent!

Another one of my favorite street artists is a guy from France who goes under the name Invader or Space Invader and he basically creates mosaics of the invader character from the video game using tiles and "invades" as much space as he can. It's a simplistic concept but it's absolutly amazing.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:28 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,438 times
I thought I was the only one who thought graffiti was cool looking even if it's illegal. I wouldn't do it but still some people make some interesting things with it!

Old 07-03-2011, 11:39 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Another one of my favorite street artists is a guy from France who goes under the name Invader or Space Invader and he basically creates mosaics of the invader character from the video game using tiles and "invades" as much space as he can. It's a simplistic concept but it's absolutly amazing.
The first two are from Pacman, fyi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I thought I was the only one who thought graffiti was cool looking even if it's illegal. I wouldn't do it but still some people make some interesting things with it!
Would be cool to live in one of these buildings. Actually I'm planning on a move to Philly, saw some really cool spaces, I will most definitely ask the landlord if I can throw some glitter to the exterior walls.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
The first two are from Pacman, fyi.

Would be cool to live in one of these buildings. Actually I'm planning on a move to Philly, saw some really cool spaces, I will most definitely ask the landlord if I can throw some glitter to the exterior walls.
Hahaha whoops my bad. They are arnt they. Hahaha.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
There is a small population of people (besides from the actual writers) who love to see graffiti. But unfortunately the majority still thinks it is part of the downfall of urban spaces, which is why it has such a bad rep.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:42 PM

5,006 posts, read 10,682,464 times
Definitely better than murals, which tend to be self-righteous and political. Street art is just that: art, an attempt to make the world more beautiful and offer a different visual perspective rather than convince you to believe something. I really can't stand political art.

I also prefer that street art should confine itself to urban spaces. It looks ridiculous (for whatever readon) in non-urban spaces. I've always loved the trains and subways in NYC--what a great idea, they are the perfect canvas:

YouTube - ‪never guilty‬‏

Old 07-05-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Definitely better than murals, which tend to be self-righteous and political. Street art is just that: art, an attempt to make the world more beautiful and offer a different visual perspective rather than convince you to believe something. I really can't stand political art.

I also prefer that street art should confine itself to urban spaces. It looks ridiculous (for whatever readon) in non-urban spaces. I've always loved the trains and subways in NYC--what a great idea, they are the perfect canvas:

YouTube - ‪never guilty‬‏
I agree!! Street Art just looks better in an urban area. (but to be honest I've never really seen any outside tr city. It's just something about it being in a large urban space that makes it that much more interesting.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:56 PM

5,006 posts, read 10,682,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
I agree!! Street Art just looks better in an urban area. (but to be honest I've never really seen any outside tr city. It's just something about it being in a large urban space that makes it that much more interesting.
Well, that's why it's such an interesting medium: it actually beautifies, and even gentrifies, some urban spaces. However, it tends to do just the opposite in a non-urban setting (it really makes a suburb look ghetto!)

Old 07-05-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Well, that's why it's such an interesting medium: it actually beautifies, and even gentrifies, some urban spaces. However, it tends to do just the opposite in a non-urban setting (it really makes a suburb look ghetto!)
Hahahaha that's so true!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts