Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times

Advertisements

The Art Institute in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 04:01 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
The royal palace in Stockholm and the Drottningholm Palace outside of Stockholm.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
My favorite museum experiences have been the Orsay and the Orangerie in Paris, the Bargello in Florence, and special exhibitions at the de Young in San Francisco.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:46 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times
MoMA, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and AMNH in NYC. American Art Museum in DC.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:39 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times
Art Galleries UK – Visit Britain's Finest Art Galleries

Couple of Newer Galleries

Baltic Gallery - Newcastle Gateshead

Turner Contemporary

Hepworth Gallery

Tate St Ives | Tate

Old 02-18-2014, 04:16 PM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
My favorite art museum I visited many times, and my preference is more to do with sentiment than comparison. It's the Cincinnati Art Museum. I used to go there with my Great Aunt who has now passed...she was the most amazing and inspirational person I've ever known. We had a special fondness for a painting called "Florentine Flower Girl" by Frank Duveneck. I know she contributed a lot of money to that museum over the years... I just have really fond memories of the place.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:44 PM

417 posts, read 815,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Has anyone visited the Frick Collection in NYC?

I'm hoping to visit there in the next couple of months.

I visited in December when there was a special exhibit of some paintings on loan from a museum in Amsterdam. I had always wanted to see Vermeer's Girl with the Pearl Earrings and I figured it was cheaper for me to travel to NY than The Netherlands

I enjoyed the temporary and permanent collections. I got there before 10:00 am so admission was free. Not sure if that's an everyday occurrence but it is always nice to have a price break in NY. What struck me was the variety of paintings. Frick appears to have had a fondness for the Dutch masters and for Gainsborough, so these painters are very well represented. But I also saw paintings by El Greco, Holbein, Pieter Bruegel the Elder (might have been a Jan Bruegel picture there as well), Velazquez, Jacques-Louis David, Degas, and a couple of Turners if I remember correctly. For a relatively small property, I was impressed by the quantity and variety that an independent, private collector could amass.

There was quite a bit of Chinese pottery, and a very large collection of clocks, I think. Forgive me if I have these details wrong, as my primary reason for going was to view the paintings.

It was a cold, snowy day, so visiting the Frick was a comfortable way to pass a few hours.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:56 PM

417 posts, read 815,907 times
So many great museums. So little time to see them all

I would have to go with the Louvre for my favorite, only because there is so much to see. I have been there twice and have only scratched the surface.

Also loved the Uffizi and would love to see it again now that I know a little bit more about art than the first time I visited.

I enjoyed the Prado, but I may have enjoyed the Thyssen-Bornemisza even more.

For a regional fave, check out the Kimbell Museum in Ft. Worth.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
I agree with many of you - so many excellent museums to choose from! A few that come to mind are:

The Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York - Always surprising
The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam - Amazing collection of Dutch Masters
The Forbes Gallery in New York - a quirky collection of Fabrege Eggs and toy soldiers

Old 03-12-2014, 03:11 PM

83 posts, read 149,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam - Amazing collection of Dutch Masters

I am going to see the Reichsmuseum this month! Have been looking forward to it for a long time, I am so excited. The Dutch masters are my favorites, and while you find examples in many European museums, it must be wonderful to see Rembrandt's Night watch and Jewish Bride and Vermeer's Little Street in person.

My favorite Museum experience was the Palazzo Pitti in Florence, rooms and rooms of beautiful florentine Renaissance painting, breathtaking works by Titian, Raphael and many lesser-known artists. I was there in February, right in the morning when it opened. The rooms were all empty, the staff running through with the vacuum cleaner and chatting with coffe at the open windows. The paintings are hung from floor to ceiling like in the original Palazzo setting, so it felt almost like a residence not a museum.

I also used to love the sculpture garden in the Louvre, with the orange trees between all those elegant white marble sculptures.

In the U.S. I thought a little gem was the Delaware Museum of Art, which has the largest pre-raphaelite collection outside Britain, I loved it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts