Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 06:58 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Thanks for those ideas, I'll make a note. I find I'm always getting funny little ideas for stuff to paint on, but somehow when I try to do it they never look right. The problem might be that because it's a new idea [to me] I don't give it time to work. So for instance if I do a portrait and it looks like an alien for 3 weeks, I have more faith that it will eventually look like a person (ideally the right person!) If I pick up a cheap gilt picture frame and decide it wants the faux gilt painting out and pictures of shells on it, if I spend 10 minutes and it looks rubbish I ditch the whole idea.

Maybe I need more patience. Or maybe I need to have left those old roof tiles where they were.
Ahhhh old roof tiles!! Those should be nice and flat! I was thinking about trying to work with some native slate that would be really irregular. It had this wonderful mix of grey and very old copper patina colors. I think you should definitely give it a try and see what happens!

I know precisely what you mean by being more likely to give up on new ideas! It's funny that we should get like that when it took us several years to learn the technigues for painting in the first place. You't think we'd eventually get it through our heads that the first few attempts most likely will look pretty lousy. I'm pretty guilty of it for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:42 PM

41 posts, read 96,335 times
Haa Maruaweka,

I do mechanical schematics of my "inventions".Sort of a Da Vinci thang.
I also do nude females,which people also stare at for a very long time.
My sister use to scratch the silvering off of the back of mirrors to create wierd futuristic cities in "mirror and black".I have never seen this genre anywhere else.
My brother makes "funky handmade interactive pet altars". Another unique genre.(I think one of his works just sold in Tokyo for about $50K)
My other brother is the coolest interior designer,you should see his apartment.
Of course,we are descendants of several Comanche chiefs.
Maybe we could learn the greatest of all arts;War/Survival.

Ura,Lawrence

Old 01-30-2008, 08:19 PM

201 posts, read 432,599 times
The kind of art I usually like to create is through words with poetry and stories. But, I also like painting, mostly with acrylics. Also, the margins of the papers in which I write are covered with doodles, so if that counts, then there's that

I think the best way to learn is to have the art teacher I had in 8th and 9th grade . He really opened my eyes to what art could be. It sounds cheesy as hell but its true haha.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:26 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,181 times
Water media and clay board.

Great art teacher in Jr. High. Motivating art teacher in High school. Few lessons from local artists that I like.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:33 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Clay board caught my attention. Smith has a sale on it these days, and it is one of the few foundations I haven't tried.

Are you using all water media, or one in particular? Can it withstand lots of gel? I understand from their literature and promotions, it is capable of multiple erasures and/or removals which may work against multiple applications.

Any suggestions? Info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
Water media and clay board.

Great art teacher in Jr. High. Motivating art teacher in High school. Few lessons from local artists that I like.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:49 AM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Clay board caught my attention. Smith has a sale on it these days, and it is one of the few foundations I haven't tried.

Are you using all water media, or one in particular? Can it withstand lots of gel? I understand from their literature and promotions, it is capable of multiple erasures and/or removals which may work against multiple applications.

Any suggestions? Info?
I use water color paint, ink & acrylic on the clay board. I also use the India Ink covered boards and scratch through.

It does well with erasing of pencil marks and mopping up small unwanted paint "boo-boos". It will stain more when using inks.

It is sturdy and super easy to frame, It comes in standard sizes.

I love the effect it has. It is like working with heavy weight paper (300#), meaning that I find it has just enough resistance to the fluid to allow it to spread and then it seeps in. On my web site, The siamese cat titled "Frankie" was done on white Ampersand clay board. I couldn't be more tickled with how his eyes turned out. He was an ink/watercolor combo.

I don't know what you mean by "gel".

Have fun!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:54 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Thanks, tulegirl,

I may give it a try as I do work with watercolour and Smith is advertising the board for use with their watercolours.

Gel, is acrylic gel medium, which I use lavishly with acrylic paints. And somehow I suspect, that the boards may not work as well with acrylic based medium. But frankly I don't know. I do use crescent board with both watercolours and acrylics, with success.

I just checked your site; nice work, and I see you are using F&W inks--they are acrylic-based I believe.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:30 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
Thumbs up pieces of slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
I've also recently come across some pieces of slate that I think are crying out to be painted on, but I don't want to produce anything tacky or holiday-souvenir-like. I don't want to hijack the thread but if anyone has any ideas of how I could mount them nicely they'd be most welcome!

I do like painting on bits of card that would otherwise get thrown away rather than bought boards - it makes you feel like you're getting something for nothing! Of course it doesn't help the tax bill much if you then sell them.
Just a idea..Depending how thick they are why not mount on a piece of ply wood about 10%--20% larger than the piece of slate, then using black motor around the slate too the edge of the frame, and make the slate uneven on edges.
Just my 2 cents worth........

Old 02-04-2008, 08:27 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchewarrior View Post
Haa Maruaweka,

I do mechanical schematics of my "inventions".Sort of a Da Vinci thang.
I also do nude females,which people also stare at for a very long time.
My sister use to scratch the silvering off of the back of mirrors to create wierd futuristic cities in "mirror and black".I have never seen this genre anywhere else.
My brother makes "funky handmade interactive pet altars". Another unique genre.(I think one of his works just sold in Tokyo for about $50K)
My other brother is the coolest interior designer,you should see his apartment.
Of course,we are descendants of several Comanche chiefs.
Maybe we could learn the greatest of all arts;War/Survival.

Ura,Lawrence
That all sounds really interesting - I'd love to see some of the mechanical stuff. Do you have any pictures on the net? This sort of genre fascinated me for ages and I had a phase where I was really into automata and Da Vinci's sketches. Recently I tried to design an over-complicated machine for pushing plastic cups out of moulds, a bit Heath Robinson-esque (not sure why!) I saw some work by Jean Tinguely at the weekend, who creates kinetic sculptures that are really quite eerie, and I can feel the phase coming back again.

Stormcrow - this is yet another of the "new ideas" that never get off the ground with me.

I used to do life drawing and I know what you mean about people staring!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:37 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Clay board caught my attention.
Does anyone know if you can get this in the UK? It's certainly not something I've come across at all, and internet searches just bring up building materials or US sites. It sounds interesting anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts