Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2021, 05:40 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times

Advertisements

I would have thought these inheritance battles would have mostly been resolved, especially the Nazi ones, and petered out by now, but apparently not.

Philly Art Museum faces ownership challenge over classic 20th-century work of modernism
A masterpiece of modernist art that has been in the collection of the Philadelphia Museum of Art for almost 70 years has been characterized as “Nazi-looted art” by representatives of the artist’s heirs who plan to challenge museum ownership in court

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/art...cid=uxbndlbing

Mondrian at the Philadelphia Museum of Art is Nazi loot, heirs allege
In 1937 the work, which had belonged to art historian Sophie Küppers, was seized by Nazi authorities and eventually sold to New York collector

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2021...i-loot-lawsuit

Mondrian Heirs Sue Philadelphia Museum Over Work Claimed to be Stolen by the Nazis
https://artdependence.com/articles/m...-by-the-nazis/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 08:57 AM

729 posts, read 533,773 times
Art?????

Old 12-20-2021, 02:13 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Just how hard would these heirs be fighting if that particular piece never basked in reflected glory from its famous signature? I doubt very much all they want is to hang it on a living room wall.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:10 PM

3,062 posts, read 2,040,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Just how hard would these heirs be fighting if that particular piece never basked in reflected glory from its famous signature? I doubt very much all they want is to hang it on a living room wall.
If you had a work of art taken from you wouldn't you want it back? And if you weren't alive wouldn't you want your children to have it back? It belongs to the rightful owners, whether they keep it or sell it. I don't understand the comment that implies the rightful owners are at fault here.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
If you had a work of art taken from you wouldn't you want it back? And if you weren't alive wouldn't you want your children to have it back? It belongs to the rightful owners, whether they keep it or sell it. I don't understand the comment that implies the rightful owners are at fault here.
But this is where the story gets murky. Depending on which account you believe, Mondrian's own designated heir was aware of the painting's whereabouts for decades and never claimed it as his property. Apparently he had no problem with it remaining in the museum's collection. We don't know whether he even considered it rightfully his to claim or if he did, whether he ever clarified the piece's fate with the museum (on permanent loan, transferred upon his death by deed of gift, etc). How this piece of property was dealt with in his will wasn't stated. Sounds as if no one cared enough about it. We can't speculate whether it was specifically bequeathed to anyone else including the heirs now demanding it back. I was suggesting that no one would be pursuing it now unless they hoped for a windfall. They probably don't care anything about the work itself, just the potential payoff. Maybe the best place for it is to remain part of an appreciative museum collection, not in the hands of mercenary relatives or some collector who will lock it away in some private vault.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-27-2021 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-29-2021, 06:32 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Art?????
Piet Mondrian was a Dutch master. An innovator, whose work heavily influenced 20th century art, as well as design and architecture.

There really is no accounting for taste - you can stick with your poker playing dogs and velvet Elvises or whatever you think art is supposed to be.

Old 01-03-2022, 03:38 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Don't bet on that!
Mondrian didn't get to be internationally famous because his art wasn't good.

Old 01-03-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Don't bet on that!
Mondrian didn't get to be internationally famous because his art wasn't good.
No argument here. I like some Mondrians but this particular piece doesn't do much for me. Still, context, in terms of a lifelong body of work and the time within which it was created, does matter.

This brought to mind a museum trip with my godmother to see a famous touring Rembrandt. We walked around the rest of the museum for several hours. One gallery contained several Picasso etchings and studies. I'll never forget standing in front of a pencil sketch of something or other...don't remember. My godmother, whose opinions were often quite enjoyable, gazed at it a while, then whispered: "I know I'm probably being sacrilegious but I just don't think that has merit."

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-03-2022 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts