Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:36 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,591,718 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Lately, I'm very interested in the art of all-around self-improvement. For me, that would be learning how to do fine art, like drawing and painting. I've also thought about getting into photography and maybe sculpting. Something to do with fashion would also be very nice. I feel like some of these pursuits, though, would be quite trivial in nature, take up a lot of time, and cost a fair amount of money.

Here were some things I was thinking about maybe trying to do before age 40, though. (I'm getting close to thirty now.)

Go to a fashion school of some kind. I do not have innate talent, but I think learning how to sew, design, and wear certain fabrics would be something beneficial for a woman to get into. I don't plan to make a career out of it, but I'm slightly obsessed with the images the media has portrayed. Plus, I feel like it's a good way to connect with my fellow females: students, teachers, and parents.
Become a cosmetologist. Again, I don't think I'm going to make a career out of it, but it would be nice to know how to fix the hair and skin or friends and family members. It would be another potential point of female bonding.
Take a photography class or two and start working with local photographers.
Learn how to do blown glass or ice sculpting.
Learn how to play a musical instrument.

I really would like to add to my repertoire of talents, but I'm kind of feeling like whatever I do may not be worth all of the effort. My main motivation for wanting to do this is to be able to prove that I have hobbies outside of teaching, but I really haven't taken time to develop any. I feel like knowing some of these skills, though, would make me a more interesting and fun person. What should I do? I won't be young forever, and I really want to accomplish something.

Last edited by krmb; 04-24-2014 at 06:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 03:49 PM

18,415 posts, read 19,073,882 times
you won't know if you like any of these things unless you try. go buy some good drawing pencils and paper at the craft store and try to draw. all it takes is practice. tons of clips on you tube to tell you how and give you hints. there are sewing centers where you can take a class, get a simple pattern grab some fabric and rent a machine for a few days. hair and make up can also be practiced the same way. sculpting has air dried clay as well as clay you can put in the oven to dry. a musical instrument you can rent. everything you do is worth the effort as it gives you experience, even if you don't continue it for the rest of your life.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:40 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,243,442 times
Check your area for workshops that interest you. Colleges, art centers and even some high schools have workshops for
adults. Since you have listed a variety of interests, you can try a couple of things on your list from doing some research
of what is available in your area and the cost of these art workshops. Just for your information, some of the things you
mentioned take time to master especially glass blowing. With glass blowing, you do not start making pieces on your
own but start out helping an artist first.
btw, since you are a teacher, art is usually the model for how to teach in a classroom since it involves critical thinking,
hands on learning and using a variety of teaching styles.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 04-24-2014 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 04-24-2014, 08:03 PM

29,226 posts, read 22,449,924 times
All great objectives except for the last two, kmb!
Glass blowing is both very dangerous and extremely expensive- unless you are a millionaire, putting together a glass blowing shop is something you would never be able to accomplish on your own. The smallest slip of molten glass can cost an eye, a limb, or even a life.

Learning a musical instrument requires both determination and some physical discomfort, especially in the beginning. How much of both depends entirely on the instrument. Some instruments are good for a moderate amount of dedication- learning how to strum the ukulele a little, just enough to accompany a sing-along- can be accomplished, but practice is a necessity, as everything learned is soon lost without it.
Other instruments require instrumental companions by their design. A tuba can be gratifying on it's own, but a tuba needs a trumpet buddy or another instrument to fully realize it's intended job.

Still others are deceptive as all get-outs. My chosen instrument, the banjo, is one. At first, it seems to be very easy to learn, but in short order, a beginner finds the banjo is an infernally difficult instrument to master in the slightest. Like Thelma and Louise, it's all clear cruising until you go over the cliff.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:59 PM

If I take up a musical instrument, I may take up something like the flute. I had something like a miniature flute when I was a child, and, although I never tried to learn any songs on it, it wasn't that hard to at least try to play.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:34 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,376,113 times
Check your local community colleges. Lots of adult learning classes there. Credit and non-credit.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:05 PM

Yes, the local community colleges do offer a few of things in which I'm interested, but I don't know about the quality of the programs.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:56 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,243,442 times
^^^But that is a great way to start.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:57 AM

686 posts, read 1,233,918 times
Just try things that you are interested in, not just things that you think may help with your "self improvement". Do them because you LOVE IT, not because you think it would somehow make you better, or make people think better of you. Do it with your soul/spirit/heart, not just with your mind.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:16 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,951,296 times
Look up your local area for the art classes you want to take.There are many beginner classes that you can take.These are clubs that other artist teach as a side job.College classes aren't for you because you will pay a lot for something you aren't even sure you want.I had many students in my class take art as a easy credit and rather suck.lol
My sister took a art class and I did all the work for her.

I agree with another poster workshops are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts