Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 08:11 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Our Hogfeldt chess print was an old family favorite and I only recently noted the name of the artist on the print so I could google for more info.
And the reproduction of Bruillov's "The Rider" ( black horse, the girl, the dog and all) was hanging above my head on the wall in my childhood)))

( But I'll want to get Hogfeldt's reproductions now too - I liked them both, equally))))

Happy New Year to everyone!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 AM

941 posts, read 1,803,528 times
Yes, thank you..
Happy New Year to Everybody!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times
^^ Wow! Who's the artist?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Dulac, 1906

Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 AM

Tantalust:
Rijksmuseum
A nude, winged, old man is crouching beside a group of peculiar objects: scales, a mirror framed by a snake and some withered cabbage leafs. He has just uncovered them and is holding the cloth that had concealed them in his hand. This is Old Father Time, painted in 1810 by the Utrecht artist P.C. Wonder. This large painting has a striking composition: Time fills the whole surface area of the painting. Careful attention has been paid to the anatomy of the man's body. The painter probably worked from a nude life model. Wonder has depicted the man's skin, the feathers on the wings - which he may have copied from a swan - and the wilting cabbage leafs with great accuracy.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Tantalust:
Rijksmuseum
A nude, winged, old man is crouching beside a group of peculiar objects: scales, a mirror framed by a snake and some withered cabbage leafs. He has just uncovered them and is holding the cloth that had concealed them in his hand. This is Old Father Time, painted in 1810 by the Utrecht artist P.C. Wonder. This large painting has a striking composition: Time fills the whole surface area of the painting. Careful attention has been paid to the anatomy of the man's body. The painter probably worked from a nude life model. Wonder has depicted the man's skin, the feathers on the wings - which he may have copied from a swan - and the wilting cabbage leafs with great accuracy.
Hmmm... If it's Rijksmeseum, the names I can think of right away are Rembrandt and Vermeer. The painting looks awfully familiar, but can't remember off top of my mind..

Old 01-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Hmmm... If it's Rijksmeseum, the names I can think of right away are Rembrandt and Vermeer. The painting looks awfully familiar, but can't remember off top of my mind..[/quote]

Pieter Christoffel Wonder *(1780 - 1852) this artist painted the Father Time I sent in earlier.here's another called three ladies

Originally Posted by countryswan
Tantalust:
Rijksmuseum

Last edited by CourageMom; 01-02-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Tantalust:
Rijksmuseum
That's really weird... Lol.
I could not find the painter with such name,(P.C. Wonder) although all of them ( Dutch painters) seems to be here - the whole list
http://www.artholland.ru/

yet I'm pretty sure I saw this painting before.
Weird, really)))

Old 01-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm... If it's Rijksmeseum, the names I can think of right away are Rembrandt and Vermeer. The painting looks awfully familiar, but can't remember off top of my mind..
Pieter Christoffel Wonder *(1780 - 1852) this artist painted the Father Time I sent in earlier.here's another called three ladies

Originally Posted by countryswan
Tantalust:
Rijksmuseum
[/quote]

I hear you, I hear you (although I should have been more attentive the first time around,) however the second painting looks unfamiliar to me, and I still can't find any mentioning of this particular painter on Russian sites ( although all others seems to be there,) which is very puzzling to me..

Old 01-02-2012, 03:34 PM

Default Dutch painter P.C. Wonder

Here's the history I found by typing in search box :
Dutch painter P.C. Wonder

Pieter Christoffel Wonder Biography
(b Utrecht, 10 Jan 1780; d Amsterdam, 12 July 1852). Dutch painter, active in England. He was largely self-taught, although between 1802 and 1804 he attended classes at the academy in Düsseldorf. In 1807 he established the Kunstliefde (Love of Art) Society in Utrecht together with other artists including Jan Kobell II. During this period he painted Time (1810; Amsterdam, Rijksmus.), a symbolical representation of a naked and winged old man in a strongly Neo-classical style. Wonder also painted interior scenes in imitation of the Dutch 17th-century masters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts