Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:43 PM

148 posts, read 418,946 times

Advertisements

My favourite painting is Christ of St John of the Cross by Salvador Dali,I first saw this painting when I was nine years old and fell in love with it there and then. I'm fortunate that it hangs in a gallery only 10 minutes from my home. I have yet to see another painting which evokes the feelings I have when I see this one, I am not religious at all but I don't think that matters,I love it for it's beauty, not what it represents.
It was bought by Glasgow City Council in 1952 for the controversial sum of £8,200 (about $15,500). Last year it was voted by a very large margin as Glasgow's favourite painting. (don't tell anyone but I voted twice !!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 12:48 AM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times
Oh man... there is no way I could pick one favorite. Here is a short list of famous paintings that have always struck a chord with me, for some unexplained reason:

Vermeer's Milkmaid

Botticelli's Birth of Venus

Manet's A Bar at the Folies-Bergere

Martini's Annunciation (the altarpiece in the Galleria degli Uffizi in Florence)

Gustav Klimt's The Kiss

Picasso's Guernica

These paintings just have a certain something to them that has touched me the first moment I saw them. And it's still there whenever I look at them. I can still think of a lot of other paintings (and prints and architecture) that also fall into this category, but these are the ones that first come to mind. Of course, I haven't seen any of them personally, so I'm sure the experience would be so much different seeing the real thing! Oh crap, you're making me depressed now. I need a ticket to Europe.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:47 AM

Oh No I hope not, Next year

Old 11-11-2006, 03:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
It is hard to pick just one.
And mariatherese, it does make a difference seeing the art "up close and personal."
A few pieces which I've always had a fascination with:

The Unicorn Tapestries
at the Cluny Museum in Paris

The Annunciation
by Fra Angelico at the museum in Cortona, Italy (that incredible blue!)

I enjoy the Arts and Crafts design of William Morris,Charles Rennie MacIntosh, and Frank Lloyd Wright.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:15 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,474 times
I don't know the name of my favorite painting. My younger sister had a print of a painting by Adolf Sehring. It's a picture of a little girl with dark pigtails looking out at the ocean. She loved it because it looked like a painting of her when she was a little girl living on Lake Erie. I've searched the web trying to find the name, but I can't. I have her print hanging over my bed now. When my granddaughter was little she thought it was a picture of her.
I do very much like his paintings of children. During my searches I found he had also painted a little blonde girl on the beach. I have a print of that hanging in my bedroom too.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:58 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
My favorite paintings have to do with Judaica. I'm not Jewish, but I love Jewish themes in art. There was one painting I debated buying a few years ago. It was old, don't quite remember when it was painted, maybe early 20th Century, and it was of an old Rabbi studying an unscrolled Torah. It had all the features in it one would expect with an orthodox Jewish Rabbi and it was painted in the realism style - very much like a photograph it was so sharp and clearly done. I wanted it badly! But...I couldn't justify the money at the time I should have bought it as I think about it occasionally and regret I don't have it. I love art in my home and I constantly stare at the pieces I have. I would have especially enjoyed that one.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:35 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I am partial to Kincade. My favorite is Summer Gate.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:48 AM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
It is hard to pick just one.
And mariatherese, it does make a difference seeing the art "up close and personal."
A few pieces which I've always had a fascination with:

The Unicorn Tapestries
at the Cluny Museum in Paris

The Annunciation
by Fra Angelico at the museum in Cortona, Italy (that incredible blue!)

I enjoy the Arts and Crafts design of William Morris,Charles Rennie MacIntosh, and Frank Lloyd Wright.
I love William Morris! I am most interested in his work through the Kelmscott Press of course, because I'm a graphic designer. He is one of my favorite designers because of his love for antiquity and craftsmanship, as you can see in each of his book designs. He remains an inspiration to me today in this modern world as I look less and less to the computer to create my designs and become more interested in the lost concept of personal handicraft.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:19 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
I like many of the classical paintings by the old masters, (Leonardo DaVinci, etc.) I also like the works of Georgia O'Keefe, (particularly after she moved to New Mexico), and Charles Russell.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I am partial to Kincade. My favorite is Summer Gate.
I do like his style of painting, I would love to be able to do that, I can only do a sort of Bob Ross type
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts