Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 02:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,386 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure exactly what type of print this is, but it looks to be an etching. There is a fairly strong embossed or raised area surrounding the portion where the paper was pressed into the original etching.

Any help would be extremely appreciated. Besides being a wonderful piece of art (and professionally framed!), I was lucky to find this for $5 at the local Goodwill.

Thanks! -Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 06:43 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
Can't tell due to the reflections in the glass of other images (frames, person taking the photo). Right now I'm guessing
it's a lithograph done by William W_____? 13th print out of 30. Does it have any writing on the back of the frame?
(if the the back of the frame has a paper backing - behind that -but be careful not to damage the original main matting).

Old 09-14-2015, 07:07 PM

Thanks, Bailey

After looking at the back, there is a framers mark, as well a curators mark that looks to be from Carey Ellis Co.., based out of NY. So, this afternoon after I posted this thread, I called them. Seems that it's a piece that was purchased from a high end modern art gallery...can't remember the name! I scribbled it down on paper at work..I'm at home now. So, it seems I have the start of a lead. Hoping that I can speak to one of the gallery folks to get more info on this, as well as it's value. Another thing, the curator sticker on the back has been scraped off partially, so the name of the artist and title of the piece are missing. It does list the type of print it is. It's a gravure aquatinte, which is a variation of an etching. What a fancy process

Here's a couple more shots that are of better quality.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:49 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
^^^
Nice set of pics. There are several types of printmaking processes and that image had many
variations of lights to darks (value) I thought it looked like a lithograph (example below)
where you could use a waxy pencil for drawing.
http://www.mcescher.com/wp-content/u...phere-1935.jpg

I haven't heard of the term gravure aquatinte before but I'm more familiar with Intaglio:

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/images/wo.../T04374_10.jpg

Old 09-16-2015, 12:24 PM

Thanks, Bailey! The gallery called me back and I sent them the photos. Hopefully they'll have a record of it.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 PM

Well, looks like I didn't do too bad for my $5 purchase on this piece at Goodwill! Turns out that this was part of a series created by known artist William Wood, based out of NY. The piece was originally exhibited by Pace Prints out of NY and is an edition of 30. Although I prefer not to reveal the value of this piece of art, the gallery director helped me know its value range when the series was initially released. I gotta say, this is the first time I've ever thrift hunted and found something like this...really lucky.

William Wood's art is highly collected. He is still putting out wonderful pieces of art and his work can be found in great museum collections today.

More on the artist
edward_ winkleman: Artist of the Week 09/19/05
http://www.srcart.com/wp-content/upl...-BIO-final.pdf
William Wood (American, 1960)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts