Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
^^^
Nice bugle but this is the "Fine Arts" thread. You might want to post this in hobbies or antiques.
I'll leave that to the mods. I'm sure they can keep things under control. Most of the "original art" on this particular thread may or may not qualify as "fine art" but I'm pretty sure that my montage is as fine a quality as the other stuff on this thread - most of which I find to be refreshingly original, unique, and evocative.

By the way, the fact that you mention only the bugle tells me something about your perspective. It's not just a bugle, or just an antique picture frame, or just some ribbon - it's the total effect that's artistic.

Not all art is accomplished with a paintbrush, pen, or pencil.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-23-2015 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 05:30 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
I am not suggesting that all of the artwork represented in this thread should be displayed in a gallery or museum...but neither does a piece that looks like it was purchased at Home Goods belong under the fine arts section. Your project is more suited
in the interior design or hobbies/recreation threads. What other section on CD would you suggest people comment about Da Vinci, Rothko, Warhol, Baryshnikov, Donatello? I just didn't want to see the fine arts section watered down.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I am not suggesting that all of the artwork represented in this thread should be displayed in a gallery or museum...but neither does a piece that looks like it was purchased at Home Goods belong under the fine arts section. Your project is more suited
in the interior design or hobbies/recreation threads. What other section on CD would you suggest people comment about Da Vinci, Rothko, Warhol, Baryshnikov, Donatello? I just didn't want to see the fine arts section watered down.
Please.

The antique bugle is British military, from 1915-1925. I doubt seriously that you will find anything like that at Home Goods. The antique frame is probably from about the 1930s at the latest. You also won't find that at Home Goods.

This is a thread about ORIGINAL ART. You won't find anything about DaVinci, Rothko, Warhol, etc under a thread titled "We want to see your original artwork."

I am a great lover of "Fine Arts," and always have been. This thread, however, is an outlier of sorts - since it's title is " we want to see your ORIGINAL artwork." Not sure if any of this art on this thread would be considered "fine art" by you, but in my opinion there's some fine art on this thread - as well as some mediocre art. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this particular thread isn't about Donatello or Baryshnikov or Reubens. It's showcasing original art - and my project is original art. You can like it or not - doesn't matter to me - but it doesn't change what it is, which is...wait for it...ORIGINAL ARTWORK.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-23-2015 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-24-2015, 07:11 AM

And keep in mind that under the heading "Fine Art" we've also got thread about tattoos, sand artists, paper mache, and Instagram photos.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:40 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
People will never agree on the meaning of Fine Art.

Traditionally, Fine Art is more drawing-based but also includes sculpting and photography. Personally, I have trouble accepting Photography under that designation. The art world disagrees with me so I defer to their expertise. Tattooing is drawing-based so makes sense to be under Fine Art (regardless of my opinion of tattoos).

Repurposing objects is traditionally called Crafting, or Decorative Arts, if you prefer, which is more technique/design-based.

We seem to be moving toward encompassing all under "Visual Arts"

Old 11-24-2015, 04:38 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love to repurpose interesting items. When my dad (who knows me so well) brought me this awesome antique bugle that he found at an estate sale, my mind went crazy! I had an antique frame that I'd snagged for next to nothing, just waiting for a project - and here's what I came up with:
I'd love to see a print of that arrangement, with bugle framed within a larger frame to include its total setting, on my wall. I love it.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:05 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times

Old 12-14-2015, 12:15 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,148 times

Old 09-14-2016, 02:08 PM

10 posts, read 6,074 times
Hi, Im new here. I mainly joined this site to share my artwork with a global audience. I've been creating art since I was a young lad. I mainly prefer to do portraiture. The materials I use vary from pastels, pencils, charcoal, and acrylic paint. I will be posting here repeatedly. Message me if you have some specific requests. Well here are examples of some of my pieces:

Old 09-17-2016, 09:51 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
toadelpsycho

love your paintings but must admit the puppy is my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts