Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:13 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times

Advertisements

I want to learn airbrushing, so need some advice on what I should look for when buying a airbrush? I am not looking to do anything too advance, mostly for model kits and maybe some case modding for xbox 360.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 22,084 times
If you can borrow a compressor that will save you the largest chunck of change. I went to Sears and got a 5 gallon compressor for less than a $100 bucks.

Brush... I wouldn't buy the cheap ones (less than $50 bucks) The first one I got from harbor freight blew apart in my hand once hooked up to the compressor. Spend the $100 on a decent one.

Siphon feed brushes let you use more paint at once, interchange paint easier and keep you working. They work very well. Gravity feed seems to be the choice of the professional but limit you as to the amount of paint they hold by the cup size. If you're like me when I started I tilt the pen alot and would probably have spilled all over me.

Double vs. Single action. If you want to learn to airbrush pictures or artwork you are going to want a double action eventually so you might as well get it to start. I bought this brush. Badger Hybrid 3155 Custom Detail Airbrush Sets - BLICK art materials

Badger Hybrid 3155 Custom Detail Airbrush Sets - BLICK art materials

Make sure you get a vapor mask too.

The 3M 5 P71 is a respirator style disposable that runs around $20.[

SALE - 3M Half Facepiece Respirator - 3M 5_P71 - $20.30 - PK Safety Supplies

Old 02-02-2009, 08:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
Thanks, good info there. I was looking at this brush, what do you think about it?

http://www.dickblick.com/products/pa...tion-airbrush/

I figured it would be good to start learning how to use a double action from the start too. Do I need a specific type of compressor that is made for airbrushes? Or can I use any type of air compressor? Any pointers on how to practice the art?

Old 02-05-2009, 06:11 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Eastwood company has airbrushes and instructional books and vidos.

You can get a compressor specifically for an airbrush, if you want to use the airbrush in an apartment or such that's what you will need. If you have the room for it, a 1hp "regular" electric portable air compressor will run the airbrush and also larger air tools, inflate tires, etc. A very handy thing to have. Sears has them.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 22,084 times
Danameless,Looks like a hot deal on the brush and starter kit.
Looks like you'll just need a set of paint, a particle mask, some paper (or a car!) and you'll be off and running!
SafetyN8
www.pksafety.com

Last edited by SafetyN8; 02-17-2009 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: everything was on one line

Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 9,479 times
hi my name is gary i enjoy going to this site and reading all the info im new at this i just ordered a airbrush on e-bay i was hoping that someone can tell me were to buy airbrush paint local i beleave i need auto or is there a certain type paint that will do any painting i have a lot to learn i just wish i could understand all the paints and primer and then there clear coat how can you explain what to us on what if anyone can help me out with the different paints and primers and which goes with each other thanks from gary in acton ontario thank you very much my friends

Last edited by gary beeso; 05-12-2009 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 23,361 times
for any airbrushing paint, Createx is always a very versatile brand. also, for the beginners, they have basic uses and knowledge info on their website. info is very helpful. any airbrushers in san antonio (or beginners) with questions, feel free to call, always glad to help chavez airbrush 210-772-7518 thanks =o)

Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,720 times
You can buy a nice airbursh for ~120. Compressor can set you back quite a bit. Although a tankless one is around the same price. Go for a double action regardless. If you stick with it you can invest is something a little nicer down the road and keep your first one for spraying basic coverage areas or paints that are harder on your brush. And then get a compressor with a tank so you don't get air that pulsates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary beeso View Post
hi my name is gary i enjoy going to this site and reading all the info im new at this i just ordered a airbrush on e-bay i was hoping that someone can tell me were to buy airbrush paint local i beleave i need auto or is there a certain type paint that will do any painting i have a lot to learn i just wish i could understand all the paints and primer and then there clear coat how can you explain what to us on what if anyone can help me out with the different paints and primers and which goes with each other thanks from gary in acton ontario thank you very much my friends
What will you be painting? You would be surprised what people paint and what kind of paint they use. I paint models with enamals, acrylics and laquers. Some use automotive paint. Just make sure that you have the right thinner for the job and know what to use for the different surfaces. Takes lots of practice. Eventually you will be able to notice a difference in the brands of paint you use.

For the longest time I painted with enamels (thinned with enamel thinner) and sealed with a laquer clear coat. Have been trying to switch to acrylics because of fumes etc.

In general, and this is just my opinion:

Enamels stick well to plastic and I have had no problem with applying a clear coat. I have no experience with using them on metal.

Acrylics are less forgiving. Without a good primer or a clean surface I have noticed that acrylics peel away when masking. I have been priming with enamels to give it a surface to grab to. I have not used a laquer coat over acrylic. I usually spray Future over it for decal prep and then a dull coat of laquer.

I have never sprayed laquer paints.

You can spray acrylics over enamels, and enamels over laquers. Be careful spraying enamels over acryclic. It can be done but if you get to much paint on, or the underlying paint is not cured, you could get nasty results. Read up on hot and cold paints.

If you are painting models check out model sites. They have lots of info and I learn new stuff every day.

In general you can spray all kinds of stuff through a brush if it is thinned correctly. Just about everyone will tell you to thin it to the consistancy of milk. But I adjust depending on what I am detailing, air pressure etc.

I spray future (a floor sealer) straight, although sometimes thinned with Windex. Paint obviously. I thought I read that auirbrushes were originally designed to spray ink. I don't get too fancy, usually just paint and the same brand of thinner.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 PM

Little bit off topic, but a good say 1-hp portable air compressor that runs on ordinary 110V house current is worth having, it's way overkill for just an airbrush, but it's what I started spraying with back in the Jurassic, provided you keep the condensed water drained and if you want to get into serious work you may want to put in a filter/dryer/oil extractor, although, with the airbrush drawing such small volumes of air, it usually stays pretty clean.

I should break my airbrush out.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:21 PM

For automotive applications, you can just thin regular laquer or enamel somewhat thinner than you would for a regular gun. The label proportions would be where you would start, and/or talk to someone who is working with an airbrush.

Of course there are purpose-built paints for making art on paper, but for custom paint on cars, I would stay with automotive paint that will hold up in the elements (to some extent, you can't leave a good custom paint job out in the weather 24-7 and expect it to keep looking good....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts