Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:00 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times

Advertisements

Michael Parkes is my #1 Favorite artist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xxs3jEIcgQ

I love Surrealist, Realist, and any Human Form
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:45 PM

527 posts, read 467,697 times
Impessionism-the earlier years of the 70's and early 80's when they were painting in a strong manner-not too fond of the later periods when I feel they had lost the intitial strength and are just getting lost in technique of brushwork
Dada/ Surrealism- as far as the painting-I like the stuff that DeChirico did in his early period- Dali lost it after the 30's- Tanguy did some nice stuff but ended up just repeating himself-Ernst in his prime-I find their objects are strongest- Picasso during his surrealist phase did some real nice sculpture-
Regionalism- I really like a lot of what the Regionalists were doing-real midwestern stuff
WPA style-I love the style that most of the WPA murals were done in- a sort of mashing of modernism of the 30's and early 40's as done by Americans
POP Art- I like some of what the Pop Artists were doing- the strongest in my opinion was the Frenchman Arman, whose collages of objects embedded in polyester resin and burned objects have a real beauty to them-I like when he slices up objects-his sculptures using tools such as a school of fish made out of visegrips welded together are just wonderful-
Outsider Art-sort of a cliche term but true outsider art can be magical-
Barbizon School-French school of painting that was the precursor to Impressionism-mostly landscape painters working in the Forest of Fountainbleau- some real nice stuff-
Native American- What can I say- beautiful stuff whether its baskets-pottery-woodcarving-etc.
African- Particularly the carving done in wood-
Pacific- Island cultures particularly the carving done by the Maori-
Japanese -I am real fond of the woodblock print tradition especially some of the work of Hiroshige, and Hokusai
Arts & Crafts-furniture- architecture of supreme simplistic beauty and wonderful craftsmanship
Art Deco- Streamlining the everyday life for the future- the Chrylsler building is a prime example-
50's- everyting from tailfins on cars to formica furniture- the atomic world seen through the eyes of post war designers
Comics- some great drawing to be found in the funny papers and comic books
Toys- some of my favorite objects were issued as toys- Japanes robots, space toys, tin windups- good stuff
Cave Art- some ofthe best style representations of animals ever done are cave paintings

Old 03-14-2010, 01:24 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Photorealism:

Old 04-03-2010, 01:39 PM

957 posts, read 1,133,381 times
Iperrealism
Optical
Cinetic
Informal
Megalithic
Liberty
Gothic
Romanic
Magic realism
Simbolism

Last edited by Italian (x)lurker; 04-03-2010 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 06:37 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,926,048 times
I love Baroque!

Bernini sculpture. Apollo and Daphne. She is being transformed into the laurel tree. Don't rest on your laurels.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
I'm a fan of the Wyeth family-three generations and three different styles. Some of the stuff Jamie did as a teenager is amazing. Their art may not have snob appeal, but I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts