Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 02:16 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,924,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Absolutely fascinating. First I could only see it going anti-clockwise, then I manage to "make" it go clock-wise and now I after doing it for about q0 minutes I can do it both ways, sort of at will ( easier if I start to move my index finger whicever way I want it to go) . Thanks for posting this.

Mooseketeer-Thanks for posting! Today is the first time I ever saw this. I was fascinated too. I also saw her turning counterclockwise originally. It took me a while to see it turn clockwise. I wonder if the way we see it at first depends on our gender.

Saucywench-Female-counter
Mooseketeer-Female-anti

I'm interested to find out which way the guys will see it!

Everyone who tries this...PLEASE tell us your gender and which way you saw it spinning originally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 02:19 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,970 times
Bunjee, male. I saw it counter-clockwise, clockwise for a bit, but CCW is persistent now.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:24 PM

Hello Bunjee! Thanks for sharing! This is very interesting to me. Saucy

If anyone needs a hint (what worked in my case anyway) as to how to get it to spin the other way, let me know!!!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:42 PM

160 posts, read 1,161,905 times
Cool. I have seen this before. And I could only see it clockwise. (F) But not seeing it again, if I stare at the straight leg/foot long enough I can make it switch the other way. It takes concentration tho and easily moves back to clockwise.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4me View Post
Cool. I have seen this before. And I could only see it clockwise. (F) But not seeing it again, if I stare at the straight leg/foot long enough I can make it switch the other way. It takes concentration tho and easily moves back to clockwise.

That's how I was able to switch it also. At first I was concentrating on the upper body (head, shoulders), that did not work for me. When I watched the leg/foot, I was finally able to do it.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:28 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
Female...... counter
just asked someone else here to look their male and saw it clockwise, amazing test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
I was looking for something else and I found this. Try it out! It took me a while to actually see it (do it), but I was finally able to.

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are using your right brain. If you see it the other way, you are using left brain. Some people do see both ways, but most people see it only one way.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:03 PM

462 posts, read 1,876,908 times
Clockwise only.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:55 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,970 times
With fresh eyes I dither between CW and CCW. I've found the secret to deliberate reversal is to concentrate on the ankle. Perhaps it's to isolate the pivot point or some kind of dissociation from the image, but it's still a rather poetic strategy, calling to mind Achilles or some rococo coquette or just modern issues of sexual frankness, the object and indifference.

Here's another example of unusual art:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hYUnkW4sNA

A lot of you might recall this. Michael Landy is a conceptual artist who back in 2001 decided to destroy all his belongings in a public performance piece. Everything from credit cards to his art portfolio to his Saab was reduced to shreds, and he even was approached by buyers wanting bits of those shredded remnants. He refused. It all went to the dump.

Conceptually, OK, there's a remark on our collective relationship to material possessions and that's an easy statement to make. But can we be utterly without anything? Is there such thing as a void and still be human, really? I question the Zen asceticism, if the gesture is to be defined on those grounds. Excessive self-abnegation is a form of vanity, after all. Because that's precisely all you have left, therefore it's exalted. And if there is a signal here, surrendering of the Self, then where is it articulated? It was just a really, really unusual exhibition that was both pointed and pointless and if that was the point then my one hand is clapping for the guy.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 PM

^That's wild! I can't ever imagine doing that. My books, my music. No way!!!

Check out these video artworks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcWws...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL8vZ0iEX3Y&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTY8f60JxUI

Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Due to a suggestion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=518XP8prwZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uYne5ezkfw

Also I might look for some Indonesian shadow theatre. Not that it's that unusual, but it might be to us in the West.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fVxPoRu2bw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts