Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:48 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,623,897 times

Advertisements

I was introduced to the "Steampunk" movement last December in the Museum of the History of Science in Oxford and am now a great afficionado. Is anyone into it ?

I love the way they blend science and art and it is very Jules Verne/HG Welles . Some really unusual and beautiful contraptions like Steampunk keyboards and flat-bed scanners.

Datamancer.net - Technical Art and Steampunk Contraptions

MHS - Museum of the History of Science, Oxford - Video: Steampunk at the Museum

Here's a short "steampunk" film which I really enjoyed .

YouTube - The Mysterious Explorations of Jasper Morello
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 04:24 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I was introduced to the "Steampunk" movement last December in the Museum of the History of Science in Oxford and am now a great afficionado. Is anyone into it ?
Oh, man. Not me, but I have family and acquaintances who've been into it for years and I--I who have also been involved in many a subculture myself--am astounded at the immersion and participation of steampunk enthusiasts.

My nieces and their friends are going to San Diego Comic Con this year and I'm certain they'll be costumed up. Here's a hint of the kind of stuff these steampunks get up to:

YouTube - San Diego Comic Con 2009 Steampunk Meetup

The good thing is they'll clear out your garage of a lot of junk for their projects! That's four or five less carloads of crap to haul to the thrift store for donation.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:02 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,623,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Oh, man. Not me, but I have family and acquaintances who've been into it for years and I--I who have also been involved in many a subculture myself--am astounded at the immersion and participation of steampunk enthusiasts.

My nieces and their friends are going to San Diego Comic Con this year and I'm certain they'll be costumed up. Here's a hint of the kind of stuff these steampunks get up to:

YouTube - San Diego Comic Con 2009 Steampunk Meetup

The good thing is they'll clear out your garage of a lot of junk for their projects! That's four or five less carloads of crap to haul to the thrift store for donation.
I don't quite have that level of dedication but I must admit I do love it. Theur contraptions are really quite beautiful and I was really very taken by it !

I might just turn into a "Steampunkette" one day !

Old 03-01-2010, 06:57 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,970 times
I've noticed that steampunk intersects with the manga and anime communities too, here on the West Coast anyway where Japan and the Far East are heavily influential. It's all very fluid and exciting and promises all kinds of imaginative and surface oriented pop amalgamations.

Takashi Murakami is a contemporary media artist/sculptor/painter who embraces a mix of high art and low art. The statements are instinctively relevant, from issues of consumerism to popular sexuality. He's kind of like Warhol without the ennui. Here are a couple of fiberglass sculptures, about 10' tall. Warning: They're sexually explicit but not in a lascivious way; they're rather hypersexual, funny, grotesque and thought-provoking.

Attachment 58893

Edited to add: I dunno if I can get into those marzipan babies, Virgode... They're...not meant to be eaten, right? Just...I...well... I guess it's also grotesque and funny in a Murakami way too, but what are we saying here...? LOL. Or LN (laughing nervously).

Last edited by kris; 01-09-2014 at 05:26 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,108,404 times
Many years ago I bought this record on the face value of it's album artwork.

Oh, and the recordings/scores are dynamite, too.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 PM

527 posts, read 467,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
I was looking for something else and I found this. Try it out! It took me a while to actually see it (do it), but I was finally able to.

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are using your right brain. If you see it the other way, you are using left brain. Some people do see both ways, but most people see it only one way.
What does it mean if I can make it go back and forth when I want it to?

Old 03-11-2010, 01:25 AM

9,930 posts, read 13,924,166 times
If you can make her change directions at will, you are one of the lucky ones! You are adept as using both sides of your brain.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:34 AM

9,930 posts, read 13,924,166 times

Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,108,404 times
Here's a cover of one of ace cartoonist Robert Crumb's underground comix.

(Possibly objectionable adult content)

Spoiler

®R.Crumb ®R.Crumb ®R.Crumb ®R.Crumb

Old 03-13-2010, 12:38 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I've noticed that steampunk intersects with the manga and anime communities too, here on the West Coast anyway where Japan and the Far East are heavily influential. It's all very fluid and exciting and promises all kinds of imaginative and surface oriented pop amalgamations.

Takashi Murakami is a contemporary media artist/sculptor/painter who embraces a mix of high art and low art. The statements are instinctively relevant, from issues of consumerism to popular sexuality. He's kind of like Warhol without the ennui. Here are a couple of fiberglass sculptures, about 10' tall. Warning: They're sexually explicit but not in a lascivious way; they're rather hypersexual, funny, grotesque and thought-provoking.

Attachment 58893

Edited to add: I dunno if I can get into those marzipan babies, Virgode... They're...not meant to be eaten, right? Just...I...well... I guess it's also grotesque and funny in a Murakami way too, but what are we saying here...? LOL. Or LN (laughing nervously).
Compare to sculpture, imagine the technique involved in sculpting those teeny tiny babes....no there not made to be eaten...sheesh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts