Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2010, 08:16 AM
 
Location: NE CT
1,496 posts, read 3,387,396 times
Reputation: 718

Advertisements

I have a 10 gallon simple tank that supports only six tetras. During about 4 months after a complete cleaning, the tank developed what looked like angel hair on the bottom of the tank on top of the gravel. It would also gather around the fake aquatic plants and on top of the small granite rocks. I used to have to scoop it out almost every other day so it didn't gum up the filter intake if the water was disturbed in the tank.

I went away for a weekend and when I returned, it was entirely gone and the tank was crystal clear. Does anyone know what this stuff is and why it disappeared so rapidly? I am not complaining but merely wondering about this phenomeneon. Anyone have a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 AM
 
5,064 posts, read 15,907,992 times
Reputation: 3577
That's weird. You say you did a "complete cleaning", which must have messed with the tank's cycling/beneficial bacteria. Did you empty the tank of all it's water, or just partially? Generally it's best to do a partial water change each week with a gravel vac, rather than a complete cleaning. If you also replaced the filter at the same time, all the beneficial bacteria would have been lost. I wonder if it is string algae? Was it green? What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? It's my guess that the reason it disappeared so suddenly is because the tank cycled again. (the bacteria returned to normal)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,272 posts, read 2,375,352 times
Reputation: 719
Going to take a guess also that it was normal after you had been away.
Possibly you have been overfeeding the tank/fish.
If it begins to come back now that you have returned and are feeding as normal I'd
guess it's too much food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 10:42 AM
 
Location: NE CT
1,496 posts, read 3,387,396 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
That's weird. You say you did a "complete cleaning", which must have messed with the tank's cycling/beneficial bacteria. Did you empty the tank of all it's water, or just partially? Generally it's best to do a partial water change each week with a gravel vac, rather than a complete cleaning. If you also replaced the filter at the same time, all the beneficial bacteria would have been lost. I wonder if it is string algae? Was it green? What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? It's my guess that the reason it disappeared so suddenly is because the tank cycled again. (the bacteria returned to normal)

Yea it was weird. I had green algae on the inside walls which I keep clean with a special sponge for this purpose. I used to use those sucker fish but they would get too big for the tank. I would buy one about 2 inches long it it would be 12 inches long in about 9 months to a year.

So I would take it to a small shop and trade it for a small again.

But this algae looked like dirty "angel hair", and it was dirty milky white in appearance in the tank, but when it dried, it dried green.

Yes I did a total water / filer change, so I knew I was killing all of the good bacteria. I just couldn't believe how fast this algae disappeared over one weekend when it covered most of the bottom of the tank.

Thanks for your input because it has confirmed what I already suspected but was looking for diffrerent perspectives on this. Thanks again..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Glen Burnie, Maryland
2,040 posts, read 4,558,096 times
Reputation: 3096
This happened to me once and it was pretty bad at one point. I did a little research and discovered that it is usually caused by overfeeding. I now feed every other day and haven't had the problem since. Also, algae was a problem for me because I would usually have the light on in the tank. Again, once I stopped doing this, I have an algae free tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 12:35 PM
 
5,064 posts, read 15,907,992 times
Reputation: 3577
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
I used to use those sucker fish but they would get too big for the tank. I would buy one about 2 inches long it it would be 12 inches long in about 9 months to a year.

So I would take it to a small shop and trade it for a small again.
Yeah, those common plecos can get enormous quickly. I have two bristlenose plecos, which only reach about 5" in length, but they are still too big for a 10 gallon. If you ever come across a mystery or apple snail though, they are good at cleaning algae off the sides of the tank. They get as big as a quarter. They are fun to watch, too. You have room for one or two. They don't breed prolifically like the common pond snails do, either. I wanted mine to breed, but they never did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 PM
 
Location: NE CT
1,496 posts, read 3,387,396 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Going to take a guess also that it was normal after you had been away.
Possibly you have been overfeeding the tank/fish.
If it begins to come back now that you have returned and are feeding as normal I'd
guess it's too much food.
I only feed the little fellas one a day in the am. And only a small amount maybe two thumbs of crushed up tetra food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 12:42 PM
 
Location: NE CT
1,496 posts, read 3,387,396 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
This happened to me once and it was pretty bad at one point. I did a little research and discovered that it is usually caused by overfeeding. I now feed every other day and haven't had the problem since. Also, algae was a problem for me because I would usually have the light on in the tank. Again, once I stopped doing this, I have an algae free tank.

I do have a light over the tank. Perhaps I should cut it back from the 12 hours to about 8 hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
 
Location: NE CT
1,496 posts, read 3,387,396 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Yeah, those common plecos can get enormous quickly. I have two bristlenose plecos, which only reach about 5" in length, but they are still too big for a 10 gallon. If you ever come across a mystery or apple snail though, they are good at cleaning algae off the sides of the tank. They get as big as a quarter. They are fun to watch, too. You have room for one or two. They don't breed prolifically like the common pond snails do, either. I wanted mine to breed, but they never did.
Excellent suggestion I see if I can get one or two..Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Glen Burnie, Maryland
2,040 posts, read 4,558,096 times
Reputation: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
I do have a light over the tank. Perhaps I should cut it back from the 12 hours to about 8 hours?
Definetly, if not even more. My fish get natural light during the day and I only turn the light on for a couple of hours at night (or when I have company and I want them to see my nice set-up). I used to get so frustrated with the algae and trying to clean the ornaments and plants. It would get so bad I would just throw out the stuff and buy new stuff.

When I started getting the white floaty stuff, I almost gave up on my tank. I was ready to get rid of it. However, a little internet research showed me the error of my ways (lol) and I learned the right way to take care of a tank. Now if I could just get my big ugly catfish to stop being a bully, I think I would have fish utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top