Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,888,676 times

Advertisements

i think ponding him is your best bet, a commet can eaisly reach 12" (they, like koi, are ornamentals related to carp...)
ive got a commet in my pond right now from the feeder tank last year whos actually 13" from nose to tail tip.

what other fish are in the tank?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 06:01 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,235,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I have a goldfish pond, your goldfish is probably a Comet, which is commonly sold in pet stores. They will reach 12" in size pretty quickly. Mine are about 5 years old, and two are already 12" in length. You can keep your fish in smaller tank, but it will be "stunted" at best---it will fail to grow properly, with a bent spine etc., it wouldn't be pretty. And yes, in time they will eat smaller fish. If you keep the fish you'd need a big aquarium. Ten gallons will work for a year or two, but then you'd need to upgrade to a bigger one---so it's better just to start big right at the beginning, unless money isn't an option. You might be able to get away with a 20 long size, at the very minimum. Ideally though, you should consider a bigger tank. And goldfish live long lives, up to 25 years or more.

Goldfish: A Guide for Proper Care and Living Environment

A word of warning, it's illegal to put non-native fish into ponds/streams. However, if it's just a small self-contained goldfish/koi pond it is not illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
25 years!!!!! That will not do. I was hoping for 3 months. I like fish. Really I do but Goldzilla is scaring the other fish. Sounds like Goldzilla is headed for the neighbor's pond, which is a self contained fish pond. He hasn't had fish in it for a few years but he did for a while. He had some big carp.

The fish are, currently, in a 20 gallon tank and Goldzilla seems cramped. He doesn't like the walls. I do have a 10 gallon tank as we just upgraded to a 20 when my daughter won this fish. I suppose we could put him in that but he'd be more cramped unless number of fish count. Including him, we have about 14 inches of fish in the 20 gallon tank. They told me at the pet store that you can put up to 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. We bought 10 smaller fish figuring they'd grow over time and then Goldzillia joined the group. He dwarfs anything else in the tank. I suppose we could consider a long "bookshelf" aquarium for my daughter's room that Goldzilla could live in by himself but I think he'd still be cramped...or I could just see if the elementary school wants him. They have about a 150 gallon tank in the lobby.

I wouldn't put Godzilla into a 10 gal tank when he is growing to the size of the 20 one. That can really mess a fish up. I sadly know from beginer's inexperience. I'd put him in the neighbor's pond if he'll let you or take him to the school. Watch how big he'll get being in either one of those!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,888,676 times
side note, keeping a goldfish in a tank, the minimum size for 1 comet is 30 gallons with an additional 10 gallons per additional gold fish simply because ot the waste output.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish