Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,623,559 times

Advertisements

How big are goldfish supposed to get?

My daughter won a gold fish at a carinval. It was just a little bit bigger than the biggest fish in the tank (a scissor tail I've had for a few years) when we put it in. Here we are 6 weeks later and this thing has been, appropriately, named "Goldzilla". It's HUGE. It's over three inches long. I swear it increases in size daily.

I'm afriad it's going to start eating the other fish. So far, it seems happy to just eat food off of the bottom of the tank but it seems to be getting more aggressive. I think it's too big for a goldfish bowl now. So what do we do with Goldzilla? Unfortunately, my daughter is attached to the fish. If she weren't I'd just dump him in my neighbor's pond.

Is there any danger of a gold fish eating smaller fish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,561,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

My daughter won a gold fish at a carinval. It was just a little bit bigger than the biggest fish in the tank (a scissor tail I've had for a few years) when we put it in. Here we are 6 weeks later and this thing has been, appropriately, named "Goldzilla". It's HUGE. It's over three inches long. I swear it increases in size daily.

I'm afriad it's going to start eating the other fish. So far, it seems happy to just eat food off of the bottom of the tank but it seems to be getting more aggressive. I think it's too big for a goldfish bowl now. So what do we do with Goldzilla? Unfortunately, my daughter is attached to the fish. If she weren't I'd just dump him in my neighbor's pond.

The goldfish you probably got at the carnival is a comet or common goldfish. They can get 7-8" (or more) under good conditions. I'd say 4-5" definitely. I used to own goldfish, fancy and regular ones, prior to the lot I currently have now. I definitely would move GoldZilla and the other one to a larger tank - a minimum of 10 gals. A bowl really isn't a great place to keep a fish, IMO. You can get a 10 or 20 gal set up on the cheap at places like Petsmart/Petco. He could be aggressive because he's cramped.

He may or not go after a smaller fish, as golds are omnivorous. Unlikely if other food is readily available. A very large gold attempted to munch a corydoras and learned really quickly that that was a bad idea. The size difference between the two I must add was quite big, so I was not all that shocked.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:39 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,939,618 times
I have a goldfish pond, your goldfish is probably a Comet, which is commonly sold in pet stores. They will reach 12" in size pretty quickly. Mine are about 5 years old, and two are already 12" in length. You can keep your fish in smaller tank, but it will be "stunted" at best---it will fail to grow properly, with a bent spine etc., it wouldn't be pretty. And yes, in time they will eat smaller fish. If you keep the fish you'd need a big aquarium. Ten gallons will work for a year or two, but then you'd need to upgrade to a bigger one---so it's better just to start big right at the beginning, unless money isn't an option. You might be able to get away with a 20 long size, at the very minimum. Ideally though, you should consider a bigger tank. And goldfish live long lives, up to 25 years or more.

Goldfish: A Guide for Proper Care and Living Environment

A word of warning, it's illegal to put non-native fish into ponds/streams. However, if it's just a small self-contained goldfish/koi pond it is not illegal.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I have a goldfish pond, your goldfish is probably a Comet, which is commonly sold in pet stores. They will reach 12" in size pretty quickly. Mine are about 5 years old, and two are already 12" in length. You can keep your fish in smaller tank, but it will be "stunted" at best---it will fail to grow properly, with a bent spine etc., it wouldn't be pretty. And yes, in time they will eat smaller fish. If you keep the fish you'd need a big aquarium. Ten gallons will work for a year or two, but then you'd need to upgrade to a bigger one---so it's better just to start big right at the beginning, unless money isn't an option. You might be able to get away with a 20 long size, at the very minimum. Ideally though, you should consider a bigger tank. And goldfish live long lives, up to 25 years or more.

Goldfish: A Guide for Proper Care and Living Environment

A word of warning, it's illegal to put non-native fish into ponds/streams. However, if it's just a small self-contained goldfish/koi pond it is not illegal.

25 years!!!!! That will not do. I was hoping for 3 months. I like fish. Really I do but Goldzilla is scaring the other fish. Sounds like Goldzilla is headed for the neighbor's pond, which is a self contained fish pond. He hasn't had fish in it for a few years but he did for a while. He had some big carp.

The fish are, currently, in a 20 gallon tank and Goldzilla seems cramped. He doesn't like the walls. I do have a 10 gallon tank as we just upgraded to a 20 when my daughter won this fish. I suppose we could put him in that but he'd be more cramped unless number of fish count. Including him, we have about 14 inches of fish in the 20 gallon tank. They told me at the pet store that you can put up to 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. We bought 10 smaller fish figuring they'd grow over time and then Goldzillia joined the group. He dwarfs anything else in the tank. I suppose we could consider a long "bookshelf" aquarium for my daughter's room that Goldzilla could live in by himself but I think he'd still be cramped...or I could just see if the elementary school wants him. They have about a 150 gallon tank in the lobby.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,209,622 times
That happened to me I got three tiny little comets and put them in a 10 gallon tank. Had to quickly upgrade to a 20 long. And eventually got a 50 gallon which was quite nice in our living room. The fish had grown to 9, 10 and 11 inches including their long tails, in about two years. They would follow you as you walked past the tank and would poke their heads out of the water when they were fed. My wife said they were like dogs Comets are beautiful because of their sleek shape and constant activity. They seemed to stop growing after we got the 50 gallon tank. I wish I could have some now, but only have room for a ten gallon tank

Old 06-23-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
That happened to me I got three tiny little comets and put them in a 10 gallon tank. Had to quickly upgrade to a 20 long. And eventually got a 50 gallon which was quite nice in our living room. The fish had grown to 9, 10 and 11 inches including their long tails, in about two years. They would follow you as you walked past the tank and would poke their heads out of the water when they were fed. My wife said they were like dogs Comets are beautiful because of their sleek shape and constant activity. They seemed to stop growing after we got the 50 gallon tank. I wish I could have some now, but only have room for a ten gallon tank
I barely have room for my 20 gallon tank let alone a 50. Goldzilla is getting his own 10 gallon tank. When he outgrows that, he's swimming off to the neighbor's pond.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:49 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,026,276 times
I have a goldfish in a 10 gallon tank and he actually stopped growing (he's about 4" now). I was told that if I put him in a bigger tank he'd start growing again -- something about the size of the environment triggering the growth.

A similar environmental concept is that if you have two goldfish in the same bowl or tank and one is orange and the other gold, the gold one will turn more orange -- I didn't believe that until I saw it happen.

My orange one accidently killed the smaller one -- he wasn't really aggressive, it's just that he tends to try and eat from everything including from the plants and decorations in the tank, from the gravel, and from the body of the other fish. Perhaps he's abnormal with his constant "lipping" of everything. But it wasn't agression -- I could watch him "lip" the gravel, then the glass walls of the tank, then the plastic plant, and then the other fish if it was nearby. He just lipped the other fish too many times and damaged the fins and protective scales.

I'm not sure of his species, perhaps a Comet. He was an inexpensive purchase at $3.95, a "pond fish" was his label. However, I really enjoy him. He's smart enough to see me (or see movement :-) nearby and know food is coming and he gets all excited. I can get him to swim in circles or loop-d-loops by moving my finger along the glass or above the water's surface. And I can hand feed him.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,395,720 times
Default go to practicalfishkeeping's site in the UK this week and..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

see the World's biggest goldfish! Goldzilla is on his way to beat the record!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 PM

62,092 posts, read 87,829,074 times
Here are some interesting facts about goldfish:
- The main factors which control the growth rate of goldfish are feeding and temperature.
- They may grow to around 6 to 8 inches (15 to 20 cm) but possibly more.
- Like the maximum size, the lifespan of goldfish is also variable. The record is 43 years
- Never give your goldfish more food than they can eat in a few minutes.
- You should never keep your goldfish in a bowl or other small container
- You should buy food made specifically for goldfish
Gold Fish Lifespan

Old 08-01-2010, 03:43 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,036,965 times
I think you have the right idea in donating it to the neighbor's pond. The gold fish's organs may be stunted if it is kept i a tank that is too small. It will be much happier in a pond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish