Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times

Advertisements

Have had ich problems in the past, and it's a beep to treat! Noticed all of a sudden what appears to be a tiny white dot or two on the fins of my sunset gourami. The fish all appear to be ok...swimming around and such. Don't know whether I should take this fish back, monitor it, treat the entire tank (which didn't work and all the fish ended up dying). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:43 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,906,622 times
It could be ich, or the early stages of fin and tail rot. Do you have a "hospital" tank, a small spare one with a filter/heater/etc.? It's best to isolate sick fish. In fact, it's always best to isolate new fish in their own hospital tank for a few weeks after purchasing it, as pet stores often sell sick fish.

Ich will often respond to raised temps of 80-82. Not always, though. I'd either isolate the fish and treat it, or return it to the LFS. Rather than go into great detail on your options, I did a quick google and found a site that is pretty thorough---good luck!

Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot

Old 07-01-2010, 06:43 PM

121 posts, read 402,523 times
In my experience raising the temp + medicines are the quickest way to get rid of it, but it leaves a nasty clean up afterwards even in a quarantine tank.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:09 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,096,026 times
Ich spots look like sugar granules, if they are very large, very small or oddly shaped, it could be something else.

The ich paraite is very common and can stay in a tank for a long time. Fish usually only get outbreaks when in a weakened condition. Most fish that "die" of ich are actually dying from something else, usually water condtion, the ich just hits them on the way out. Healthy fish will usually recover fine from a few spots without treatment.

There are lots of meds to treat it, but make sure they are safe for your kind of fish. Tetras, catfish, scaleless fish, fry and weak fish can often be sensitive to certain meds.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:31 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't know what was going on. The spots seem to have disappeared now and (knock on wood) everyone seems fine. To be on the safe side, I've upped the water changes and am not putting in any new fish.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM

196 posts, read 697,190 times
This link contains a lot of information that may help.

Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish