Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 06:02 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,445,884 times

Advertisements

We have 2; Pierre and Claudette. We initially introduced clown loaches to our tank because we tried going with live plants and managed to bring a single snail into the tank, which very quickly multiplied to hundreds. It got completely out of control, so I researched what fish eat snails and voilà, found out about the adorable and precious clown loach!

They went to town on those pests, and within just a few days we were completely snail-free! And since they are snail-eaters, we thought they simply must have French names.

We must be doing something right, because they are growing extremely well -- too well! They were no more than 2" when we got them, and they are easily 4" now. Unfortunately, that means they've seriously outgrown the 18 gallon tank we have them in, so we're either going to have to get a much larger tank, or find them a new home that already has one.

The largest clown loach I've ever seen in captivity was 11-12" long, and they had to be returned to the pet store because the owner simply didn't have the capacity to house them any longer. Clown loaches can live up to 40 years!! We've had these for 6 or 7 already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 06:50 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,907,992 times
They are beautiful fish, but because they do best in schools and get so huge, I just don't have tanks large enough. My largest is only 29g. Some day when the kids have finished college, I'm hoping to get a 55 gallon. From what I've read though, even that is too small for clown loaches. Maybe you could find a bigger tank on Craigslist if you want to keep them forever. But for now, enjoy them!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,445,884 times
They do get huge, that's for sure, but they are (or were supposed to be!) very slow growers, so I figured I had plenty of time before I had to upgrade the tank. Looks like it's going to be sooner, rather than later!

These guys just love each other. They dance a kind of fish ballet together that is so amazing to watch. When we upgrade the tank, I may add a third one, but they are thriving just the two of them. You never, ever want just one, though. They will literally mope and pout themselves to death.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,974,254 times
Yeah Clown Loaches are whoppers I have seen some that are 16 inches in zoos.

I would search craigslist or local fish forums if I were you. some people sell huge tanks on forums for less than 50 bucks. The last tank I bought was a 125g for 40 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish