Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 10:06 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times

Advertisements

Ok this is bugging me now. Our tank currently has the following:

2 cory cats
5 platies
4 black skirt tetras
3 red minor tetras
1 7" pleco
3 rasboras

The 5 platies are terrible gluttons. They not only clamor and eat the food on the top, they (supposedly top feeders) also go to the bottom and eat whatever is down there as well. Their bellies are all distended from gluttony. I dont' know what to do about this gang of five, because I am forced to leave algae wafers out for the pleco since there really isn't another dedicated food source for him. Once the gang of five have eaten their fill of the flake food, they go down to the pleco's food and peck at that too. I've tried so hard to better distribute the food/hide the pleco's wafers...to no avail. Those platies are really getting bothersome right now. The pleco has taken to coming out in the day now. I thought it was because he was happy with all the company he now has, but the petstore tells me it's probably because he's hungry.

Any advice appreciated regarding hyper-feeders such as the platies. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
... Maybe they are pregnant???

also please check here:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Freshwate...ated-Platy.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebi...atyfdgfaqs.htm

Last edited by elnina; 08-10-2010 at 11:30 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
many plecos don't stay nocturnal forever. Mine are all active during the day

how long do you feed the fish for?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:24 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
My plecos are active during the day, too. And my platies love to eat, both top and bottom. You are not going to be able to stop the platies from pecking at the algae wafers, that's normal, they are omnivores and also eat algae. It's also quite possible some of your platies are pregnant, as was already suggested. The other fish could be eating any fry they have. Many fish are opportunists and will eat food wherever they can find it. How big is your tank, and how much/often are you feeding the fish? Do you have any live plants in the tank? One little trick you can do to help your pleco find food, is to feed the algae wafer at night before you turn off the tank light.

Editing to say be careful of any advice you get from a pet store, most of them are clueless.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 08-11-2010 at 06:36 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
To answer all your questions - the tank is 55. I feed about a pinch and a half...the food is gone in minutes..with whatever's remaining being picked up I guess by the cories, since they don't look like they're starving. I tried putting the wafers in a "secret spot" at night, just before the light is turned off. I also tried putting the wafers in when the light is off when I go to bed, and sure enough, those damn fish got to it before Plecky did. Plecky just isn't an aggressive feeder at all, even though he dwarfs all the other fish in the tank.

They aren't pregnant..they are all female Just fat. Very fat. I don't intentionally overfeed them but they are getting overfed by simply being greedy. they're far greedier than the tetras, who don't bother going after food once it falls beyond the mid-level.

TIA.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Unless your females were born in your tank, they most likely didn't come to you as virgins. They can store sperm and continually drop fry for months. But again, it's normal for them to be greedy feeders, and they need algae, too.

The next time your pleco is stuck to the glass showing his belly, have a look at it. If it's nicely rounded, he's getting enough food. They are pretty good at scavenging. My plecos love fresh zuccini. I cut the end off a zuccini, and stick it to a screw that is stuck through a heavy plastic plant base--- I tossed the plant and kept the base for that purpose, the base has holes drilled into it. I just drop the zuccini and base into the tank, and it falls to the bottom. Because it's raw it would otherwise float. The platies will nibble it of course, but the pleco gets plenty for him, too. I leave it in there no longer than 24 hours, so that it doesn't foul the water. You can also microwave the zuccini piece in some water for several seconds and let it cool, and drop it into the tank, and it will sink to the bottom. I have found fresh zuccini is less messy though, and my plecos prefer it to "cooked". Do that once a week or so, and all will be well.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:40 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Your pleco is seven inches? Then it's not a bristlenose. It may be an omnivore (panaque). Try the above and then try something dead

Old 12-13-2010, 12:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Wood... for pleco

I know this is an old thread, but just for the record, Plecos eat wood, so make sure you have some driftwood in there, and you won't have to worry about feeding the lonely guy. A film of algae will grow on the wood, and the Pleco will gladly eat it, and no competition from the others.

I have a Bushy-nose Pleco, and I never "feed" it, but I have a lot of driftwood for him in the planted tank. I've so many plants, I see the Pleco maybe once every two weeks if I'm lucky, they are shy creatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish