Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 PM

553 posts, read 1,635,231 times

Advertisements

We'll soon be moving into a new house that has a decorative pond with waterfall in the backyard. There is at least one fish in the pond. It looks like a large goldfish to me. I have never been a fish person (don't keep 'em as pets, don't go fishing and don't eat them ), and I don't know anything about caring for fish. Current owner is not taking the fish with them and stated they toss in a food tablet from Lowe's every few months, and that's it.

I don't want the fish to die on my watch. Is it really as easy as tossing in a food tablet every so often? What about winter? It gets pretty cold here. I am wondering if I should rehome it to someone who has a pond with fish, but have heard it can be hard to adapt to new water.

What to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 04:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,922,796 times
I've never heard of those food tablets, I don't see how in the world they can be effective. That would be like humans eating a large buffet only once every several months. I suspect the previous owner once had several goldfish, and this is the last remaining one. (who buys just one goldfish for a pond?) At any rate, goldfish don't eat during cold winters, their metabolism slows down. They cannot properly digest food once temperatures drop into the 40's and below. Do you have plants in the pond? Approximately how many gallons? The goldfish will nibble any algae present in the pond, and catch insects that land on the surface of the water, but in warmer months you should still toss in a few tiny pellets of goldfish food every few days, especially if the pond is on the smaller side. Frankly though, it doesn't sound like you have the desire to maintain the pond for fish. There should be a pump with some kind of filtration which would need maintenance. Also, in the heat during dry spells the water can rapidly evaporate, and you would need to occasionally top off the pond with water, and toss in some liquid dechlorinator along with the water. And in the winter, you need to put a floating heater on the surface of the pond if the water freezes over, as trapped gases in the pond are lethal to fish. Goldfish have no trouble being moved from one pond to the other, they are very hardy. You can advertise on Craigslist to find someone who would take it.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,462,548 times
Um, sounds like a koi pond...? Plenty of online resources to help you take care of it.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:24 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,136,696 times
Please do some reading - here are a few links.

Fish pond keeping. Goldfish ponds koi health care. Bradshaws pond equipment

Google is your friend: fish pond, koi pond, pond care are all terms you can use
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish