Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times

Advertisements

All great tips, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 12:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,984,680 times
I found two old ozarka water bottles (you know the kind you turn upside down in those water fountains) at an old house that was being cleaned out. They are cool because I didn't know that they were made out of glass.

It is something like this:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:KIhJTqoLDgTEyM:http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh102/Mainline_traders/IMG_1760.jpg&t=1 (broken link)
http://www.worthpoint.com/pmimages/images1/1/0507/16/1_122425293959240a22469f1d1635bad3.jpg (broken link)

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/6/-/6-5-gallon-glass-carboy.jpg (broken link)

It is cool because it is very large (5 gallon) and I am growing anacharis in there. The Betta's love it (I have two bottles so two bettas). They have grown nicely these past two years.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:21 AM

387 posts, read 608,213 times
I had a betta years ago. My brother did too. They're beautiful fish. Unfortunately, mine developed kind of a murderous streak one day. We had a molly, and I think a darter? It was silvery. Anyway, apparently one day they made it mad and it proceeded to murder them. I wasn't there, but I got a shock when I went back to feed them. It lived on for 2 years, and finally died when it got sick with something, still not sure what.

I believe it somehow mistook the molly for another betta. And then the darter just got caught in the crossfire? I'm still not sure what happened...

Old 11-13-2010, 11:07 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
thats pretty typical for male bettas, they should never be housed with any fish with longer fins or any of the more colorfull fish because they will kill. they are incredibly territorial.
when i worked in a pet store i had one little girl bring her betta back in tears, nothing wrong with the betta but the idiot who had sold her the betta also sent her home with 1/2 a dozen male guppies to "keep him company" within 3 days hed torn all 6 guppies to shreds and she didnt want mr betta anymore because he was "evil" poor kid was pretty traumatized
guppies, mollies, platties and swordtails all tend to end up on the wrong side of bettas. lol

those glass jars are realy cool...id be worried about keeping them clean or having to get in there though due to the narrow neck, your growing live plants so at least theres some good o2 exchange but is there enough surface area being they are surface breathers...

i think id be tempted to take a glass cutter to it and CAREFULLY give myself acess to the main jar, but ill bet they look awesome full
one of my future projects is i want to take an old computer monitor and turn it into a betta tank

Old 11-13-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
those glass jars are realy cool...id be worried about keeping them clean or having to get in there though due to the narrow neck, your growing live plants so at least theres some good o2 exchange but is there enough surface area being they are surface breathers...

i think id be tempted to take a glass cutter to it and CAREFULLY give myself acess to the main jar, but ill bet they look awesome full
one of my future projects is i want to take an old computer monitor and turn it into a betta tank
oh yeah, you fill the bottle up to about 14 inches high (about 3 inches from the top so that leaves a surface area that is about 12 inches across for air exchange.

because the volume of water is more than most bettas receive the water quality remains great for a long time. the plants probably help with that too

Old 11-13-2010, 11:56 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,084,553 times
The biggest mistake I have seen with bettas is the assumption that you can put them in a flower vase with a lid and plant roots dangling down for food, and with the glass marbles at the bottom. They are omnivores, so they can't really live on just plant roots, and the water needs to be changed every now and then. Also, without proper aquarium gravel as substrate, they do not get the proper minerals that they need that would be absorbed through the aquarium gravel. Bettas are labyrinth fish, and create their own air bubble clusters (you can see them on top of the container they are in, looks a little bit like someone spit in the water). They make their homes in the wild among the rice patties in shallow Asian waters, so a small container is usually fine, but it needs to be enough room for them to not just be sitting still all day. It is also a fallacy that they cannot be kept with other fish. Other bettas, yes, (although female bettas can be kept together many at a time, but they are not sought after due to not being as pretty), but they can be kept in a tank with other non-aggressive fish, as long as they are not fin-nippers as they will constantly have their long flowing tail chomped on, creating stress and infection. They will usually just pick a hiding spot in the corner or toward the bottom and chill out, leaving other fish alone.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
The biggest mistake I have seen with bettas is the assumption that you can put them in a flower vase with a lid and plant roots dangling down for food, and with the glass marbles at the bottom. They are omnivores, so they can't really live on just plant roots, and the water needs to be changed every now and then. Also, without proper aquarium gravel as substrate, they do not get the proper minerals that they need that would be absorbed through the aquarium gravel. Bettas are labyrinth fish, and create their own air bubble clusters (you can see then on top of the container they are in). They make their homes in the wild among the rice patties in shallow Asian waters, so a small container is usually fine, but it needs to be enough room for them to not just be sitting still all day. It is also a fallacy that they cannot be kept with other fish. Other bettas, yes (although female bettas can be kept together many at a time, but they are not sought after due to not being as pretty), but they can be kept in a tank with other non-aggressive fish, as long as they are not fin-nippers as they will constantly have their long flowig tail chomped on. They will usually just pick a hiding spot in the corner or toward the bottom and chill out, leaving other fish alone.
I have seen some really pretty female betta. they may not come with long flowing fins, and they are rather smaller, but they do come in pretty colors

Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,084,553 times
I agree, they aren't ugly or anything, just not as sought after. Kind of like guppies, females not as pretty, but still pretty.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
I agree, they aren't ugly or anything, just not as sought after. Kind of like guppies, females not as pretty, but still pretty.
yeah, same with guppies they have developed some brightly colored female guppies, they now look as good as the males

guppy female

betta female:

Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,218,942 times
I love Bettas. I especially love female bettas! They tend to have more "personality" than the males, although I have had a couple of really nice males. We have one male in the fish tank and I have a female in a big glass bowl right here beside me. Some of my bettas live long lives. Some as long as 5-8 years. I use spring water for my female. The male is in with gold fish, guppies, tetras, albino algea eaters. Our female guppies are quite beautiful now, after years of interbreeding with each other and having some gorgeous father genes. We could breed for stores but that's just not us, we let them breed for us. Of course we now have 5 tanks! We used to save the babies all the time but now we let nature take it's course un such a confined world. There are always babies that make it with all the places we provide for them to hide.

I've never bred Bettas though. I used to have three males in a seperated three fish tank but stopped that when I learned that it decreases a Betta's life when you make him fan. Decreasing their lives was not worth watching them fan for my human amusement. I'm glad I found that out. Everyone loves to make a Betta fan but not me anymore.

I feed my Bettas freeze dried blood worms and Tetra flakes! I've even seen the male down at the bottom of the tank nibbling on the zucchini(sp) we put in the tank. All the fish love the zuch! Summer squash...no. Has to be zucchini(sp)! Spoiled brats!

The only problem with Bettas is the end. Being air breathers, it kills me to watch them drown. I alweays cry when I lose a Betta. I always struggle with "should I take it out and smoosh it and make it die quick instead of a horrible death by drowning?" I haven't been able to make myself do the euthanasia so I always mourn and cry.

Does anyone else get so effected with the end time of your Betta? Or am I just a little bit crazy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish