Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times

Advertisements

The only fish I ever had were the occasional goldfish won at a fair as a kid. I've thought it might be fun but don't wish to dive in immediately to the expense of an aquarium etc... .

Are betas as easy as they look? Can I really just place one or two in a nice vase with a rooted plant for them to eat the algae or is there more involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 06:13 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The only fish I ever had were the occasional goldfish won at a fair as a kid. I've thought it might be fun but don't wish to dive in immediately to the expense of an aquarium etc... .

Are betas as easy as they look? Can I really just place one or two in a nice vase with a rooted plant for them to eat the algae or is there more involved?
I'll weigh in on this one I had betas for a long time and they do great. It's been a while but I seem to remember that I was told not to put more than one in a vessel at a time they will fight. I had two of them and I had each one in their own vessel.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,213 times
Betas need to be separated other wise they fight. I had two and kept them separated. I used big fish bowls and a water treatment added in. I fed them Beta flakes. I've not had any with plants in the water with them, but have seen them all over that way. You can ask what plants are good for them. Betas really aren't that much to take care of once you get the initial supplies. You can spend as little or as much as you want on a tank/bowl- but one tank/bowl for each beta. Fish flakes are under five dollars and I think i went through maybe two a year. Water treatment is around 10 dollars a bottle. And I think I went through about maybe 2 year.

So water treatment and food per fish is the equivalent to a jug of cat litter every six month. Plus whatever your water company charges for a gallon of water.

I have four goldfish for and had them for about a year now and I finally went through their container of food
and am working on their second bottle of water treatment.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the tips. I was not aware of the need for water treatment.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:52 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
Betas need to be separated other wise they fight. I had two and kept them separated. I used big fish bowls and a water treatment added in. I fed them Beta flakes. I've not had any with plants in the water with them, but have seen them all over that way. You can ask what plants are good for them. Betas really aren't that much to take care of once you get the initial supplies. You can spend as little or as much as you want on a tank/bowl- but one tank/bowl for each beta. Fish flakes are under five dollars and I think i went through maybe two a year. Water treatment is around 10 dollars a bottle. And I think I went through about maybe 2 year.

So water treatment and food per fish is the equivalent to a jug of cat litter every six month. Plus whatever your water company charges for a gallon of water.

I have four goldfish for and had them for about a year now and I finally went through their container of food
and am working on their second bottle of water treatment.
Thanks chasey for telling MoGal about the water treatment I wasn't even thinking when I posted or I would have mentioned thatGood to see someone take up the slack.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:59 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
Thanks chasey for telling MoGal about the water treatment I wasn't even thinking when I posted or I would have mentioned thatGood to see someone take up the slack.

You are welcome!

The water treatment helps get out chlorine and other things fish really don't need and it helps protect the the protective slime the fish have on their scales. In general it keeps a fish healthier.

My aunt when she moved gave me a female beta who was around 3 when I got her and she ended up living another four years. And at the time I'd been fishless for years and water treatment was fairly new. So I was like- hey that's pretty cool stuff.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Bettas do better with filtration in a tank 2.5 gallons or larger, but if you are going to keep one in a bowl be sure to do frequent water changes. Bettas are susceptible to fin and tail rot from dirty water. Also, they don't do well in cool temps like goldfish do, so if your house drops below 78 degrees in the winter you should consider getting a small heater for the tank/bowl. They make flat low-wattage heaters specifically for bowls, like this:

ZooMed Betta Therm- Betta Bowl Heater - 7.5w

Oh, and bettas aren't algae eaters, they are carnivores. That's why their lips are on the top of their heads, for eating insects from the water surface in the wild.

Betta Fish Care Guide | Are bettas carnivores or veggies (http://bettafishguide.blogspot.com/2008/02/are-bettas-carnivores-or-veggies.html - broken link)

betta food

My bettas would never eat pellets, and would/will eat only certain types of flakes. The one I have now absolutely loves flaked earthworms and flaked brine shrimp. They can be super finicky, and sometimes just refuse to eat if they don't like what you offer them.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 11-02-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Bettas do better with filtration in a tank 2.5 gallons or larger, but if you are going to keep one in a bowl be sure to do frequent water changes. Bettas are susceptible to fin and tail rot from dirty water. Also, they don't do well in cool temps like goldfish do, so if your house drops below 78 degrees in the winter you should consider getting a small heater for the tank/bowl. They make flat low-wattage heaters specifically for bowls, like this:

ZooMed Betta Therm- Betta Bowl Heater - 7.5w

Oh, and bettas aren't algae eaters, they are carnivores. That's why their lips are on the top of their heads, for eating insects from the water surface in the wild.

Betta Fish Care Guide | Are bettas carnivores or veggies (http://bettafishguide.blogspot.com/2008/02/are-bettas-carnivores-or-veggies.html - broken link)

betta food

My bettas would never eat pellets, and would/will eat only certain types of flakes. The one I have now absolutely loves flaked earthworms and flaked brine shrimp. They can be super finicky, and sometimes just refuse to eat if they don't like what you offer them.
Great info attw3! Thanks. The temp. part is very good to know because I do keep my house temp in the mid. 60's during the winter as not to run up the heating bill.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
bloodworms were my bettas favorite
ive found that unless you do a min of 2.5 gal with filtration and heat your doing your betta a disservice, ive known many people "sucessfully" keep thie rbetta in little vases ect...for 2-3 years! they tell me this is wonderfull...
what they dont realize is given the right circumstances (heat, proper filtration ect) they can live ALOT longer, i reacently lost my 8 year old betta when the power whent out in my house and his water temperature dropped drastically

spend a little xtra money on the right set up and youll have a beautiful fishy companion for many years to come, they do develop strong personalities too!

bettas, as already said are carnivores, so if you find yourself having algea issues a couple of snails or a trio of ottos are perfect, never put your betta with a pleco or chinese algea eater, plecos get much too large and CAE's become very agressive as they mature.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Yes. Betta's are nice fish. I had one for a few years before it died. I named him after my ex, a person who also had to be alone, in his own little tank, otherwise he would be mean to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish