U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 04:27 PM

13,773 posts, read 34,885,446 times

Advertisements

I have a 20 gal aquarium and just recently have really high alkaline. Previously it was nitrates but now they are normal.

I have killed 4 sucker fish and this is the only thing that is out of whack. I bought other fish at the same time and they survived, so far.

I have cleaned it and change the filter every week or 2 depending on how dirty it is.

What can I do to reduce the alkaline? The owner of Pet depot said to just change the water but that isn't working. I read somewhere to put in vinegar but it didn't say how much.

Thanks for your help
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM

196 posts, read 626,753 times
If you have hard water with a high pH you may find it difficult to lower. Check your replacement water and see if the pH is similiar to the readings you have in the tank. If so water changes are not likely to help the problem. I f the pH is lower in the replacement water the problem may be in your tank decorations, likely gravel or rocks. This seems to be a pretty good link for more information. Adjusting pH in the Freshwater Aquarium - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

Old 11-14-2010, 09:08 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,798,357 times
Do you have well water or city water? I don't know where you live, but where I am in Birmingham some places are notorious for having high ph in the drinking water, a simple ph test kit on your tap water can help determine this. There are ph reducers you can purchase, but it is not a permanent fix. Try adding as much driftwood as you can to the tank, this will help reduce it, possibly even a plant or two. Change half of water every few days for now. I know 20 gallons is kind of a smaller size, so you might want to temporarily try doing the water changes with half your water, and half from another source, in case the problem is your drinking water such as using distilled water from store, or maybe asking your petstore if you can bring in a really big container to fill with their tank water on days when they are doing their tank changes and use some of their water in your tank. Lastly, you could always try fish that prefer a higher ph, such as African cichilids or even brackwater fish. Cichilids can live through just about anything.

Last edited by pvjd; 11-14-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 11-14-2010, 04:22 PM

13,773 posts, read 34,885,446 times
I live north of you so I am glad to know it isn't just where I live.. I bought the PH balance and it worked but I don't want to depend on that. I was told not to get live plants as they are 'dirty' according to the pet store. Can I get driftwood in the pet store?

The test strips read normal at least as of Friday. I am going to try another pet store to see if I can find an algae eater that can survive/.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:54 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,798,357 times
The driftwood you can get in a petstore, it comes in different shapes and sizes and is mounted to a piece of rock so it doesn't float to the top. The ph dows stuff works ok, but you are rightto not want to become dependent on it.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:28 PM

5,592 posts, read 13,198,137 times
Default Dirty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I live north of you so I am glad to know it isn't just where I live.. I bought the PH balance and it worked but I don't want to depend on that. I was told not to get live plants as they are 'dirty' according to the pet store. Can I get driftwood in the pet store?

The test strips read normal at least as of Friday. I am going to try another pet store to see if I can find an algae eater that can survive/.

'Just curious, what did the person at the store say was dirty about live plants? In what context? Thanks

Old 11-20-2010, 08:23 AM

6,591 posts, read 21,977,134 times
live plants if theyve been properly cleaned are wonderfull for a tank (though beginners can have both absolute luck or absolute failure with live plants) my biggest concern would be introducing snails into your tank via live plants.

in terms of algea eaters, please dont get a pleco, there are some fancy dwarf pleco that would do fine in your tank but you wont find them in most fish stores without special order (and they wont be cheap either) common pleco the ones sold in most stores grow huge!
also remember new tanks do NOT have the algea needed to support most algea eating fish and diet will need to be suplimented with alge pellets, peas and other greens.

given your high alkalinity if you ind your still high mabe try looking into stocking your tank with fish who like it high, there are some stunning cichlids out there that would greatly apreciate high alkalinity, peacock cichlids for example are stunning! shell dwellers are always interesting ect.
rather than fight your water, work with it...this is what i did and ended up with 5 stunning male peacock cichlids who i just love to sit and watch.

if your plannign a community take though and absolutly "need" an algea eater (most tanks dont need) look into the tiny little otos (Otocinclus Cats) they are small and prefer to be in schools of 5 or more, but they are cute, active and are one of the few algea eaters that will devour ALL types of algea even through their adult life (many algea eaters dont eat algea once mature)
Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE's) commonly mistaken for chinese algea eaters these are different and like the ottos will devour almost all algea types...
unlike their chinese cousins siamese are peacefull.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 15,447 times
Hi. I have well-water and the alkalinity was very high, so I diluted it with distilled water. After awhile, I wanted to find an easier alternative to buying gallon jugs of water on a regular basis. In the basement of my home, I have a dehumidifier that has to be regularly emptied. I decided to test the water and found that the moisture from the air was highly acidic. So, I combined the well water and dehumidifier water and came out with a nice ph.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:52 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,387,761 times
Plants are your friend, so dont let the store people tell u different. I have a 50 gallon and when i take my plants out for a few days, the PH and other chems are way off the charts and algae will start to grow. The plants help filter nitrates and keep the PH balance. Secondly, great to keep algae under control. Good filter with bio filter will do wonders too, just change the carbon filters out, and only rinse the bio filter. If you do get a live plant, it will have snails. That is fine, some are good and some are bad, but hey its a free algae eater. Get a Assin snail and your snail problems are taken care of. Drift wood are great for tanks, you can get some near a river or creek bed that been moving alot. They add great minerals and vits to the water for the fist. They might murk your water up for a few days, but it will clear up. Suggest you soak them in a bucket for a couple days to prevent this and they soak up water to weigh it down or they will float. Good luck, and if you need guppies, i got millions i been donating to the local pet shop and schools. Got 2 females that been overtime.. both working on their 7th deliveries. PRoduce some great males, red tails, green bellies, and few yellow rainbows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or