Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 PM

196 posts, read 697,717 times

Advertisements

For me fishkeeping is a hobby, and while I have had a couple of fish for more than 7 years I don't consider them pets. How do do think about fishkeeping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,888,676 times
my fish are both a hobby and pets...
i have cichlids so unlike many fish in the hobby these guys actually recognize me, i walk into a room they swim to the glass to see me, they "play" chase with my fingers, if i open the lid of the tank and put my fingers in they swim brushing against them, they actually truly seem to enjoy interaction with me which in my mind is what makes them pets.
our koi are the same way, even if theres no food they are very interested and quite interactive...

however in years of having normal tropical community tanks those were more a hobby, they showed no interest in the world outside their glass box, or in anything unless there was food involved.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:05 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,294,712 times
Default Hobby

To me they are a hobby, no much interraction with fish. I have both freshwater/liveplants and saltwater/corals. I treat them as hobbies.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:13 AM

288 posts, read 693,601 times
Pets mainly...

We had beautiful Discus and Angels (80 gallon tank), they would follow me around in the tank if I was walking around the living room. I used to hand feed them all and they all seemed to have their own little characters

Old 01-01-2011, 06:42 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,237,401 times
I think of them more as pets. My husband got into fish when taking a fish anatomy class. At first it was a hobby, but now these fish really know him and beg for feedings. He has both fresh and salt. I find the salt very personal and we have named most of them. I was just taking some pics the other night, and these fish were showing off for the camera.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,441,628 times
I think it is a hobby...

Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 AM

553 posts, read 1,546,548 times
I agree with some other posts. At first, it started out as a "hobby" or novelty thing for me. Then I had this tough little Beta. His name was Bob and he lived for 5 full years!!! He survived numerous moves, cold temperatures (on accident!) and a garbage disposal mis-hap. No, it wasn't on and that was his fault. He finally died of old age and I buried him next to the house in a flower bed. He was way to good to be flushed down the toilet. I think he lived so long because I always kept his little tank clean and I used distilled bottled water. So eventually he became my pet and I got attached to him. I was so stupid and didn't take any pictures of him. By the time he died he looked pretty beat up and one fin didn't even work anymore.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:34 AM

455 posts, read 1,240,714 times
There is so much involved in keeping fish, it was a hobby for me. Although each one had a name.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,486,453 times
Some are pets. If an owner names a fish, it is a pet.

I am always amazed by the fact that fish often do not receive credit for being animals. Few care when there is a mass die off.

The difference is that they breathe with gills instead of lungs. They swim instead of walk. Their internal organs and digestive tract is very similar.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:38 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,922,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Some are pets. If an owner names a fish, it is a pet.

I am always amazed by the fact that fish often do not receive credit for being animals. Few care when there is a mass die off.

The difference is that they breathe with gills instead of lungs. They swim instead of walk. Their internal organs and digestive tract is very similar.
I would even go so far as to say if an owner feeds something it is a pet. Of course some people don't even feed their fish. I have a neighbor who laughs at how many fish her young son kills because he never feeds them. She actually laughed recently and said, "it is so funny!" I tried to tell her it was cruel but she said, "they are only fish!"

I have several fish tanks and a pond full of goldfish, all are pets as I take care of them all. I'm sad if one dies. It's a hobby, but they are still pets as they require my care and will die without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish