Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 03:29 PM
ira ira started this thread

657 posts, read 3,932,539 times

Advertisements

Just got a new 10 gal aquarium. My question is: should air stone work 24/7 or could I turn it off at night?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 03:32 PM

61,749 posts, read 87,217,162 times
I would turn it on 24/7

Old 12-11-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would turn it on 24/7
Thanks!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:30 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
Yes, 24/7. There are quieter pumps available. I bought a battery powered one years ago when I moved to keep the water fresh.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
yeah, the fish needs the aerator to breathe. If you have live plants in the tank I would definitely leave the air stone on at night because plants suck up air at night instead of releasing it, so it would cause your fish to suffocate

Old 12-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Thanks you, all! Yeah, it's day three and the 2 guppies I got seem to be doing great. Hopefully they will survive the cycling process. Once it's over, I am looking forward to adding more fish :-)

Old 12-13-2010, 06:24 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,906,622 times
Do you also have a filter in the tank as well as an air stone? A filter will help with your cycling, by holding the "good" bacteria. It will also add air to the tank, plus help keep the tank clean. I have several fish tanks, but only one with an air stone as well as a filter, the air stone in that tank is just decor.

I don't know if you already know this, but while your tank is cycling ammonia levels will continue to rise---small partial water changes every few days will help remove some of the ammonia while your tank cycles, which generally takes several weeks. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Do you also have a filter in the tank as well as an air stone? A filter will help with your cycling, by holding the "good" bacteria. It will also add air to the tank, plus help keep the tank clean. I have several fish tanks, but only one with an air stone as well as a filter, the air stone in that tank is just decor.

I don't know if you already know this, but while your tank is cycling ammonia levels will continue to rise---small partial water changes every few days will help remove some of the ammonia while your tank cycles, which generally takes several weeks. Good luck!
Thanks for your advice. Yeah, I have both filter and air stone. I checked ammonia levels today (day 3) and they are pretty low, less than .25. Will keep checking every day. This is my first aquarium ever, so keeping my fingers crossed :-)

Old 12-15-2010, 06:23 PM

196 posts, read 697,190 times
If it's your first aquarium I'll offer a little advice.
1. Feed your fish less than you think they need until you have more experience.
2. Don't be too hasty making fish purchases. Learn about the requirements of the species and really look to see if any of the fish in the tank seem sick. Fins clamped, fish shimmying, and so forth. If fish in a nearby tank seem ill ask if it is on the same filter system as the ones you're interested in.
3. My first aid when a home tank doesn't seem right is a water change and stop feeding. If it's cloudy another water change tomorrow and no feed until it clears up.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,935,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
Thanks for your advice. Yeah, I have both filter and air stone. I checked ammonia levels today (day 3) and they are pretty low, less than .25. Will keep checking every day. This is my first aquarium ever, so keeping my fingers crossed :-)

What kind of fish do you have in there and how many? Did you cycled the tank? IMHO, 10gal tank is not the best for someone who is just starting out. With 10gal of water to work with, when the water quality goes.. it dive so keep an eye on your fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish