Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 09:23 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,902,074 times

Advertisements

i added a 9" blood parrot to my peacock tank yesterday (no worries he was quarrenteined for 3 weeks prior...)
his name is gigantor and hes sooo funny (he likes to chase my sever macaw who loves to "talk" to the fish...)

but the poor guy, he was aparently bought form a petstore a few years ago, was put in with an oscar (about his size) well after a few years the oscar decided to chew on him, alot...
the guy begged the petstore to take him back, they did and of course being someones pet they didnt want to mix him with their stock fish...so they set this very large parrot fish up in a 7 1/2 gallon fish tank with nothing but a heater and an airstone. he had JUST enough room to turn around heck he was almost as tall as the total height of the tank...and he just kind opf lay on the bottom, as soon as someone walked past though hed come to the glass, well ive been checking on him every other day for the past 3 weeks and just felt terrible.
did some reserch as ive never delt with the Sa's before, and after much debate i couldnt stand to see him in that tiny tank any longer.

Gigantor is now enjoying a 55 gallon tank and dwarfs all his tank mates.
hes missing some scales on his sides/rump but is looking much better after a couple weeks without oscar intervention...
its kind of sad realy though, considering his size i was a little worried about my smaller fish, the tank has a 1 1/2" single tiger barb who was also a rescue who i was a tad worried about being eaten...but gigantor has such a tiny mouth and is soooo slow!
the other fish swim circles round him and sometimes he gets huffy and tries to chase them but he reminds me of a blimp.

hes got a cute personality though, loves to eat!

once i get my own place i think im going ot give him a nice 75 gallon set up with a couple of other parrots and mabe some peacefull larger communtiy fish, but right now 55 gallons and 5 peacocks as tank mates is better than 7 1/2 gallons!

i understand why they wanted to quarrentein him, but they couldnt give him at least a 10 gallon tank? *grumbles* the good news is they gave him to me for a $5 "adoption fee" because they needed the tank back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,250,648 times
Hope it works out, would love to see some pics,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish