Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:19 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,895,079 times

Advertisements

gorgeous!!!

reef tanks are just stunning!
and if you go to 3:04 it looks like a bulldog :P!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,100,767 times
It has always been my fantasy to have a room sized Amazon tank! I figured on doing in pretty much like the op mentioned. I would have two ajoining sides of glass, but they would face different rooms in the house. The other sides could be done with other material. I would have an room beside it with an air compressor, filter, sink, drains and access to the top of the tank. I would also have a skylight above the tank. In fact, you could have a terrarium type "second floor" with plants and a waterfall built above the tank, viewable from the second floor of the house. Ahh, dreams I'll never see

Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 PM

61,949 posts, read 87,574,290 times
I would be happy with any of those: Custom Residential Aquarium - Custom Home Aquariums - Large Aquariums - Living Color Enterprises, Inc

Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 PM

61,949 posts, read 87,574,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Would like to know of food dealers of big tanks for future project.
I don't know your location but check this:

Aquarium installation & re-creation step by step photo gallery
http://elitechoice.org/2008/04/01/customized-aquariums/
Custom Aquarium Builders
http://livingcolorcabinetry.com/residential-test-page (broken link)

Last edited by elnina; 02-28-2011 at 11:43 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 AM

713 posts, read 3,441,050 times
Those thanks looks wonderful!!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 AM

livingcolor do some stunning work

if i had an infinate amount of money id have an entire wall aquarium.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM

pet smart for some reason does not sell ammonia to begin the cycle but they did give me this, NUTRAFIN Cycle - Biological Aquarium Supplement. From what it says on the label just pour in 20mL per gallon a day for 3 days and your tank will be fish ready. It has a small colony of bacteria in it so they begin to colonize the tank.

So far I have 12 plants just floating in my tank since I filled it up before adding them and now am having a hard time getting them to stick in the gravel I placed which is designed for aquarium plants. Also now after 15 minutes of adding the plants and some of that supplement I have a film of bubbles on the surface of the water. I only noticed it when I took my arm out of the water and had it covered in a bubble colony of bubbles. Bubbles are also brownish like they have dirt in them.

Hopefully I can soon begin adding fish to my tank but am going to have to do something about those pesky plants that are floating around. Dont know how long they can stay like that before dieing.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 PM

bubbles on the plant are normal...dirty bubbles just means the plants were probably sitting in sub quality water, they will release and eventually clean up as the silt washes off the plants surface. bubbles on the leaves men the plant is producing oxygen
getting them to stay down can be all kinds of fun, once their roots become established itll be easier, but plants straight from the store tend to have trimmed roots, my best suggestion for you would be to get some larger rocks and kind of wedg the plants in the gravel and use a larger rock just to give it a litl eextra support while they bury their feet in, once there in or about a week you shoudl eb able to remove the rocks. if no rocks plant the plant as depe ad possible then make a litle mountain of gravel aroudn it, the idea being the extra weight will hold them untill they have a good hold.

in terms of starting the aquarium the little bacteria in a bottle ar a ncie idea but ive never had much luck. suggestion #1 put an add on craigslist (or if any of your friends have fish tanks) and get a dirty filter from them and a hand full of their gravel. sit the filter in your filter and drop the gravel in their too, itll already have good bacteria living in the media.
you can also use frozen shrimp, just toss a couple of small peices in there to quick start and get the cycle going

your going to have so much fun with this

Old 03-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Well I do have a gold fish community going on in my 20 gallon tank that I can use to seed my new tank. Only problem is that the filter is smaller than the one that goes in my new tank. I managed to get all the plants down by putting my hand in the tank and pushing them down but I think some might be dead . Some of my plants leaves are brownish and are curling and no bubbles are being produced from any of the leaves on the plant. Would just plot my goldfish in this tank and let them get to work on bring up the ammonia levels but then they will be sad when its time to move on.

Just got a water test kit and here are my readings:

20G tank(w/fish)
Ammonia 0.5 out of 6.0
Nitrate 80 out of 200
Nitrite 5.0 out of 10.0
Hardness 150 out of 300
Chlorine 0 our of 4.0
Alkalinity 120 out of 300
pH 7.8 out of 8.4

75G tank(no fish)
Ammonia 0 out of 6.0
Nitrate 0 out of 200
Nitrite 0 out of 10.0
Hardness 150 out of 300
Chlorine 0 our of 4.0
Alkalinity 120 out of 300
pH 7.8 our of 8.4

Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM

youve actually got a pretty good starting point right there you could keep pretty much anything in there

just a hand full of gravel out of your goldie tank sprinkled into the filter (about 1/2 a cup or so) would help seed the new one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish