Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,887,257 times

Advertisements

my 40 gal tank cracked so everyone had to be moved to a 30gal...
this is not making for happy fish ad i cant afford to replace it right now...

so after alot of deliberation ive decided to rehome my 4 most agressive cichlids and just keep the parrots and 1 odd tigerbarb.
its just not fair on them to be in a smaller tank (true its only a little over 10 gals smaller but its made a huge difference in their agression levels, fish that got along before are chasing eachother and once perfect fins are not nipped.

so i put a listing on craigslist and got 2 enquiries right away, one guy came out and took one of them...
but the other guy, who was adamant he wants the most agressive, a gorgeous little jewel male, was supposed to come yesterday and still hasnt got back to me *grumbles*
meanie the jewel is currently in a little iso box because he is soooo agressive right now (he makes the zebras look sedate lol).

i just dont get it, why do people say there going to come and then just change their mind?

ive got a red zebra, a ob zebra and this red jewel left to find homes for and my local petstore (the only one of 3 that i would trust) doest usually take them in. im going to call them again today and see if they might at least take the jewel as hes the most desperate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:26 PM

196 posts, read 697,690 times
Depending on where the crack is you may be able to patch it. I've placed a piece of glass with aquarium sealer around the edges over cracks like a bandage with a good success rate. Not the most decorative thing, but it works. It won't work on tempered glass ( the kind that shatters, not cracks) though.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:36 AM

its temperd ufortunatly, looks like someoe bit it with a baseball bat with a beautiful spiderweb pattern (to the poit where im woderig if i can preserve the peice as it realy is pretty lol)

im waiting on hearing back form 2 equiries today, if not one of the local petstores is willing to take a look at the 3 that need homes and if they "look healthy" they might be willing to take them as long as im not expecting anything in cash...*rolls eyes*
"look healthy" my butt...i know the warehouse they get their fish from, their lucky if 1/2 of their shipment survives to sale. and lucky if at least 1/2 of those doesnt come back as deads.

so ive got my fingers crossed, meanie the red jewel is not happy about living in his little box, and im not looking forward to dismantling the 30 gal again to get OB1 and red out if someone wants them...but rather that than have everyone else torn to shreds because they are acting out.

sad part is, in the 40 gal, these guys have all been together with no issues for 3 years, no agression, no problems, the occasional chase, even meanie was relaxed...but now, 10 gallons less makes for 3 VERY unhappy africans!

Old 03-05-2011, 03:02 PM

2 more no show, no email *grumble*
these poor fish, i swear im going to have to dose the water with valium just to keep them all calm!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:07 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,921,685 times
I sell shrimps and plants and fish on Craigslist from time to time too, and I've had people be "no-shows". I try and think of it as a blessing, I really don't want to give anything live to that sort of person anyway. Sorry to hear about your cracked tank!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:09 PM

good way to think about is ATTW3, you are of course correct, if there not going to drop me an email, do i realy want them taking the fish...

i keep having people tell me "there only fish"
i tell them they just dont get it...just becaus ethere fish doesnt mean they dont deserve a GOOD home with a suitable tank with someone that will apreciate them!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM

GOOD NEWS, the 3 that needed a new home have found one, theyve gone to a 175 gallon mixed african (primarily mbuna) tank with 15 other mbuna, its a 3 yr old tank and these 3 will be the first new additions in over a year (so i know it should be a nice healthy tank)

and even better news is the absolute difference in my tank already.
the 3 stooges have only been gone for about an hour...
left in the tank is pinky, a pink jellybean parrot about an inch, and green bean, a green jellybean parrot, also about an inch (yes i know jellybeans are dyed, wont stay brightly colored to maturity and its a horrible practice, but i didnt pay for them...) strawberry whos about 2 1/2 inch purple blood parrot (and going to be a stunning adult if he stays full colored (hes not actually purple, purple is just the desrcirption for the very red parrots, rather than the orange color of the normal blood parrots) and gigantor whos my 7-8 inch blood parrot...

now...in the bigger tank everyone pretty much got along but since moving them gigantor was getting beaten on by meanie the jewel so he just tried to hide all the time...OB was out to just kill strawberry, poor strawberries tail is now a little tattered, so he spent the entire time hiding, and greenbean and pinky both found tight little corners and hid 24/7.

since the 3 stoogest left an hour ago EVERYONES out and swimming about...MUCH happier. even oddball my 1 random tiger barb (ive no idea how he even got into my origional tank) is out and about and swimming around...
im hoping now that the 3 stooges are gone i can find some more tiger barbs to join oddball (but finding tiger barbs that will match him size wise is going to be tough) hes a full grown tiger barb lol.

id also like to add a little clean up crew, i just dont know what kind of clean up crew yet...

everyone left in the tank right now is soooo much happier!!!

it sucked to say goodbye to OB1, ive had him 3 years, but he needed a much bigger tank.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:05 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,921,685 times
That's great that you found a new home!!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:09 PM

im so happy! there going to be spoilt little fish, the guy seemed incredibly passionate (hes off the forum you gave me ) and knowledgable.

in the mean time the remainding fish are sooo much happier...
gigantor keeps giving me goofy face :P

Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,386,504 times
Default are you very sure it's a jewel cichlid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
my 40 gal tank cracked so everyone had to be moved to a 30gal...
this is not making for happy fish ad i cant afford to replace it right now...

so after alot of deliberation ive decided to rehome my 4 most agressive cichlids and just keep the parrots and 1 odd tigerbarb.
its just not fair on them to be in a smaller tank (true its only a little over 10 gals smaller but its made a huge difference in their agression levels, fish that got along before are chasing eachother and once perfect fins are not nipped.

so i put a listing on craigslist and got 2 enquiries right away, one guy came out and took one of them...
but the other guy, who was adamant he wants the most agressive, a gorgeous little jewel male, was supposed to come yesterday and still hasnt got back to me *grumbles*
meanie the jewel is currently in a little iso box because he is soooo agressive right now (he makes the zebras look sedate lol).

i just dont get it, why do people say there going to come and then just change their mind?

ive got a red zebra, a ob zebra and this red jewel left to find homes for and my local petstore (the only one of 3 that i would trust) doest usually take them in. im going to call them again today and see if they might at least take the jewel as hes the most desperate...
particularly with other cichlids I've never seen a jewel extremely aggresive; they're from the Congo and usually in with catfish and congo tetra, etc. without issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish