Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times

Advertisements

Other than fish that naturally school, I don't think Koi get lonely.
What you might do is get one of those "Crackerjack" clickers and train the Koi to come when called!
It works great.
Or a dinner gong. That works too.

Just remember that koi/goldfish/carp create a LOT of waste, so underpopulating the pond services them better and doesn't attract as much attention from predators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:47 PM

603 posts, read 2,093,224 times
What does everyone think about goldfish in the house. Do they need "friends"?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:47 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
again all carp (this includes goldfish) are "social" fish and need company in order to feel safe and display "normal" behaviour...
while some people think fish get lonely i can tell you 100% from experience over 26 years that fish that naturally school typically hide are listless dont eat well ect when kept alone...
meaning they are much happier when with others of their kind...

so yes, even in a tank in the house goldfish need "friends"
however the same "goldfish are messy" rule applies and those tiny little feeder fish WILL grow over 12 inches if properly fed. you need a minimum of 20 gallons for the first gold fish and 10 gals per additional goldfish.
no matter how small they are when you buy them...

if buying comets shubinkins sarassas, feeders ect any of the "torpedo" shaped goldfish you need a longer tank than tall, a standard 30 gallon is fine for 2 goldfish, a 55 gallon is better...
if your going with "fancy goldfish" fan tails, lionheads, ect they are a rounded bodied goldfish and perfer a taller tank than long so a 29 high or 40 gallon tall tank work out better.
reason being the torpedo shaped goldfish need lenght to swim correctly, rounder bodied fish need depth for their funnage as they mature.

and goldfish do NOT "only grow to the size their tank allows" they will grow to their pre-genetically programd size if fed correctly and dont die before hand...
those that have kept golds in smaller tanks sucessfully usually dont feed correctly (goldfish have fast metabolisms and should be fed quite frequently) and the fish dont live neer as long as they should. so make sure you give them room and give them at least 1 buddy.

and remember a well cared for goldfish can live a very long time.
the worlds oldest goldfish lived untill it was 43 years old, a more "normal" lifespan if properly cared for is 15-20 years! unfortunatly most goldfish dont survive past 3 yrs old due to overcrowding bad feeding practices and underfltration.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:03 PM

603 posts, read 2,093,224 times
foxywench, it's awesome how informed you are. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I would like to take the time, effort, and money to get goldfish and raise them properly. But, I hate the heat and like to keep my apartment at 63 degrees in the winter , so I don't know if this is possible...

Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 PM

goldfish are cold water fish, 68 would be better for them but the water wil hold a thermal balance quite well if you realy need to bearound 63 degrees id probably put a small tank heater in there, (one rated for about 1/2 the gallons you have) and put it on low, or a low heat fishtank heater rated for your tank on its lowest setting, goldies seem to do best in 68-72 degrees, anyting over 75 degrees and they seem to fade fast under 68 they tend to eat less and get a little sluggish but it wont kill them they can survive neer frozen temperatures as long as the water doesnt freeze solid and theres open surface area for gas exchange so even at 63 degree water theyd survive, just be kind of slow and go into a mild hibernaton state until the temps rose again.
but personally i tend to try and keep my goldfish water at about 68 in the winter

i love the deep bodied fish the veil tails and the ryunkin are some of my faves but i also love a nicely tailed shubunkin or sarassa...i love goldfish and koi they have such unique personalities and are smarter than given credit for our pond fish know when its feeding time eat from our hands and even enjoy being petted (they will brush against our fingers if we dangle them in ect...)
our fish are currently in a pond during most of the year then brought into an unheated 55 gallon tank in the main house for the winter as out pond isnt realy deep enough right now to overwinter.

and thank you for the compliment i love to share the infromation i do have i dont know much about much but animals i do know and ive been involved in the aquaria hobby since i was a very tiny child thanks to my dad

Old 07-16-2011, 01:48 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,906,622 times
I agree with foxy, you could definitely add a heater to your fish tank indoors, the same as you would if you had tropical fish. Just keep it set low. I have five fish tanks with heaters in all of them. You'd just need a tank large enough to house goldfish. That is very important, to get a tank large enough. And as already mentioned, you'd need good filtration too, along with occasional gravel vacuums and partial water changes. Goldies produce a lot of waste.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:20 AM

207 posts, read 535,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Fish aren't my thing, but we became the owners of two koi when we moved (they were already in the pond). We were so proud that we managed to keep them alive over the winter, but a few days ago we noticed one fish is missing. Natural predator I'm sure. So now we're not sure if we should buy another fish (or 2). I don't want the remaining fish to be lonely
The fish probably ate the other fish

Old 07-31-2011, 07:23 AM

not likely with koi...especially not complete "missing"
generally carp will only consume eachtoher if the fish is already dead, and you will typically find the skeleton and head still intact.

fish eating other fish purposly (killing to eat) is mostly seen in agressive tanks with the likes of cichlids and barbs.
however ALL fish will consume an already dead tank mate but you will typically find evidence.

completly missing id absolutly say bird, racoon, cat ect took it.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,112 times
I can't afford a larger tank and my goldfish is kind of a biter, but I don't want him to get lonely. Would it be okay to get one of those fake ornamental fish that float around as a "companion"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish