Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,918 times

Advertisements

A house with a small outdoor koi-style pond that I pass on my daily walks went into foreclosure while I was gone for two weeks, and a large commercial trash receptacle was parked in the driveway to clean up the mess left by the tenants.

When that was picked up and carried away and the For-Sale sign went up, I peeked into the pond and saw at least half a dozen small (4-6 inches in length) orange and brown fish dart away to hide under the lava rock and decaying pond plants. (The pond is sited out from any overhangs so it gets fresh water from all the rain we've been having.)

Not knowing a thing about fish as pets (my only goldfish pet as a first-grader a million years ago went belly-up the first week), I was concerned and called the realtor who had the listing. His reaction was along the lines of "not our concern."

So no one will be feeding these little fish. That bothers me. They shouldn't just be left there to die because of idiot humans. Or does my ignorance cover up the fact that they'll be just fine with whatever insects they can catch that land on the pond surface?

The water will eventually go bad and/or evaporate when we get into summer.

I already experimented with trying to catch one in a cup and they darted into the lava rock nooks and crannies where I'll never be able to reach them. The pond (about 3 feet by 6) would have to be drained to recover them.

What should I do? I can't just ignore them like everybody else has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 05:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,974,254 times
can you dismantle the lava rock? The koi are easy to catch with pellets and a net. they eat like pigs.

I don't know where you would keep them though, they can grow more than ten inches in a year. You may try putting adds on craigslist to see if someone wants them. They will be able to come with buckets and nets and scoop them up themselves.

I was walking by an abandoned house once and saw a pond at the back. I walked around and saw that birds were in the pond just picking out fish. These were huge fish in just inches of water so all the birds had to do was stab. because the fish were big the birds couldn't eat all of the carcasses and there were dead fish all over the yard. I had to walk all the way home to get a bucket and a net and walk all the way back and then walk home again with the rescued fish.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:35 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,221,725 times
Call the local SPCA. They actually do rescue fish, at least the one around here did.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:37 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,221,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
can you dismantle the lava rock? The koi are easy to catch with pellets and a net. they eat like pigs.

I don't know where you would keep them though, they can grow more than ten inches in a year. You may try putting adds on craigslist to see if someone wants them. They will be able to come with buckets and nets and scoop them up themselves.

I was walking by an abandoned house once and saw a pond at the back. I walked around and saw that birds were in the pond just picking out fish. These were huge fish in just inches of water so all the birds had to do was stab. because the fish were big the birds couldn't eat all of the carcasses and there were dead fish all over the yard. I had to walk all the way home to get a bucket and a net and walk all the way back and then walk home again with the rescued fish.
Not a good idea, taking them without permission could be considered theft. Need to do things the right way.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Not a good idea, taking them without permission could be considered theft. Need to do things the right way.
pfffft they were abandoned.
The right way is saving those poor things

Old 05-11-2011, 07:09 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,869,986 times
in terms of food, they will eat algea, insect, the plants and prettyuch anythign that makes the mstake of being small enough to swallow and getting close to the waters surface...

however they are at risk form the pond evaporating if your prone to long hot dry summers.

personally since the agent has no concern, id personally try and catch them...a big net (pool nets work great) a large bucket, and as the water level drops in the summer itll get easier, if you can dismantle the rock their hiding in that will help. offer them for free on craigslist to knowledgable people with a pond...

if however you tend to get rain year round, the fish should be fine...

Old 05-11-2011, 07:30 PM

See, Foxy is on board

Old 05-11-2011, 07:38 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,869,986 times
if this was a dog or cat id say call the authorities, but few places will "rescue" fish and as the water level drops there at risk fo death, not to mention theyre at risk every day from birds, racoons (who LOVE to fish) neighborhood cats ect...

if anyone says anything...well there outside with little to no protection, its not unusual for pond fish to dissapear a few at a time to hungry racoons ect...

Old 05-11-2011, 09:08 PM

196 posts, read 697,250 times
Try a minnow trap if the fish are small enough. You can get them online or at most bait shops. Maybe donate it to the shelter when you are done.

I can take the rock out of my ponds so I use 4' x 8' seines to catch the fish in the fall. Many bait shops and sporting goods stores also carry seines.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:12 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,918 times
Lots of great advice and suggestions -- thanks!

Hubby and I are going over there today to get the specific address and the condition of the pond to report to the SPCA. (That was really a good idea I would have never considered!) If they're not interested, then we'll try to connect with someone on our local CL who might be.

It just makes me feel a little bit better that all of you care like I do, even if they're "only fish."

People who abandon living creatures of any species just burn my butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish