Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:02 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,040 times

Advertisements

We have a little koi pond with three 5'' fish. Today when DH fed the fish there was a 4th fish in the pond, only it's a brown fish, and approximately the same size as the other fish. Where the heck could it have come from? I really doubt anyone came into our backyard and put a fish in the pond - if a neighbor wanted to, they would ask first, and my dogs would have let us know if anyone trespassed!

About two weeks ago I let a little neighbor girl put some tadpoles (from a school project) into the pond. They were only about the size of a dime though.

First we lost a fish (prob to a bird or raccoon) and now another fish just appeared. Anyone have this happen before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:08 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Picture, perhaps?? Maybe this is one of the tadpoles?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
It might be a young goldfish, one of your own offspring. Because of the color, it could have gone unnoticed by you until it got pretty big. Often a goldfish will be brown, or olive, until it reaches maturity. I used to have several "brown" baby goldfish, and eventually they turned orange.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:39 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
agree, could be a surviving offspring form previous years...but dont rule out neighbors dumping fish either...
we ended up with 10 more fish than normal (we knew they wernt ours because they were rosie minnows and we didnt have any before hand) turns out a neighbor bought them to feed his turtles and the turtles wouldnt eat them so he brought them over in the middle of the night (our direct next door neighbor saw him putting a bag of something in our pond...*gee thanks for letting us know there was somoen snooping around....rolls eyes*
i confronted the guy because our pond is pretty much max before then, and told him he should have asked because he managed to throw our ecosystem off whack and i had to adjust quick to make up for the new bioload...i ended up rehoming them to another neighbor who has a small pond that he wants to cycle but didnt want to spend money on fish and it isnt big enough for goldfish...the rosies only grow to a few inches so it worked out well.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 PM

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a pic. The fish hide if we're within five feet of the pond, and the brown fish doesn't show up very well in pics. It actually doesn't look like the other goldfish, but it's about the same size. Since they seem to be getting along we're going to leave it be. If the brown fish gets a lot bigger than the other fish we may rehome him to the neighborhood pond.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:35 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
walking catfish?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
It may have slipped in with the tadpoles. some fish really grow quick. I put in some minnows I caught from a creek into my turtle tank (but the turtles have not seem to be bothering the fish because I feed them pellets). Some cichlid type fish slipped in with the minnows and they are growing at alarming rates.

Birds could have also be to blame. Birds often fish and carry their pray to other areas to enjoy their meal. Often though they get distracted and drop their catch. Yours could have probably been one such lucky escapee.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
It's likely a young goldfish. We had three in our pond and eventually two more appeared. I'm guessing the other eggs and fry got eaten but two managed to survive.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:33 PM

I finally, just barely managed to get a pic of the dark fish a few weeks ago - that guy is FAST! I blew it up, but it's still kind of hard to see. The little floaters are pieces of fish food and the green thing is part of a water hyacinth

Last week I noticed he's getting orange spots!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
looks like a carp. It is most probably a Goldfish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish