Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times

Advertisements

Can anyone share their experienced with tiger barbs? I have been thinking about getting them for my 65 gallon tank. It is full of tetras and cory catfish. I know that tiger barbs are fin nippers so fish like angels, bettas, and guppies are out of the question, but what about tetras? Will they get along with little ones like neons or cardinals? I don't have those but am thinking about adding them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 02:24 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
i have tigers, i LOVE LOVE LOVE them...

my suggestions for you if your thinking about them...
go big...the more barbs you have, the less likley they are to pick on your other fish, i like to have a minimum of 7 but more is even better and odd numbers seem to work best.

make sure to provide plenty of rock work, plants (real or otherwise) ect to break up lines of sight and provide territories for everyone.

ive actually keps my barbs with all kinds of flowing finned fish with no issues. right now they are in with blood parrot ciclids which are large with large finnage and ralitilvly slow compaered to the tigers, the parots also are not that agressive, and yet the tigers never bother the parrots, but right now i have a group of 9 tigers and they do chase eachother.

now many of the tetra species are also semi aressive bleive it or not (serpeas, bloodfins ect) so the larger tetra tend to do well with barbs...
neons and cardinals though i probably personally wouldnt risk, neons and cardinals are generally incredibly elicate to beign with and barbs and tetras can contract the same illnesses and neons are incredibly notorous for introducing illness into a tank. not to mention neons are small (angel fish eat neons in the wild) so id think theyd probably be overwhelmed by the very active and much larger tiger barbs...
but i also dont think neons or cardinals would do well with any of the larger tetra species either so...

that being said i think tiger barbs do best in a "semi agressive" tank...
larger gourami and "king" betta (they have shorter finnage) or paradise fish make excelent "focal" fish with tiger barbs assuming you have a large enough group.

many of the smaller cichlids do very well with tigers, larger cichlids will eat your tigers though.
you might want to look into peacock cichlids.
they also seem to do incredibly well wiht my red parrot cichlids.

tiger barbs if kept in large enough groups can be kept with larger angels...but you need to get the balance right as angels will eat smaller fish (thier natural prey is the neon tetra) so ideally full grown tigers with full grown angels ect.

of course they do well with most of the other barbs. though cherry barbs tend to be a little too peacefull...
(if you were dead set on doing a neon tank you could do cherry barbs instead of tigers)

most rasboras and danios do well with the tiger babs

look into clown loaches and rainbow fish too...

realy tigers depend on the kind of tank your looking for and what tetra you already have in there, the barbs wont bother the cory, but the existing tetra need to be in large enough groups too as they can get nippy too so go with at least 5 of each of what you have now...

i LOVE my tigers and once i move and get my 55 set up ill be geting more tigers.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:12 AM

95 posts, read 504,471 times
Years ago my husband had an awesome tiger barb and clown loach tank. I want to say he kept platties & cory cats in with them but will have to ask to make sure. Some of the tiger barbs had a beautiful green shimmer and the others were just the regular stripes. I agree with foxy, they look fantastic in large numbers!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
I love tiger barbs too, but I'd be cautious about mixing them with smaller tetras. I've actually been researching something similar to tiger barbs for my 46 gallon, and have been considering the Hexazon or Panda Barb which are considered peaceful. (in large enough schools) The panda gets up to 5", though:

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Panda Barb

Hexazon Barb

Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Those are some really pretty fish andthentherewere3. I might have to look into them.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 PM

some other barbs to look into
odessa (the females have a sparle but the males are stunning!)
clown barb

and if you like beautiful tetras and dont want to go small, look into the congo tetra, they are STUNNING!

in the future once i get my new tank up and running ill have my existing parrots, expand my group of tigers, add a couple of rainbowfish and a nice group of congo tetra.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
expand my group of tigers, add a couple of rainbowfish and a nice group of congo tetra.
I know you are local to me, so I wanted to share this. I recently bought several Praecox and Threadfin rainbowfish from Exotic Aquatics in Norwalk. I ordered them on a Tuesday, and they arrived Thursday. I asked for 6 each, and the owner gave me an additional 4 each, free. My total was only $45 for all twenty! He said he can order absolutely any kind of fish. The fish were healthy, too. He picked them up at the airport just that morning.

Good luck Wyoeagle, I bet you'll have a nice tank when you make your final decision.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:40 AM

NICE attw3!
will have to check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish