Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 02:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,896,434 times

Advertisements

i just dont get some people.

in my life ive had thousands of gallons in fish tanks, my dad started me keeping fish when i was itty bitty and ive been keeping freshwater tropcials ever since...i was raised with them...everything from bettas to cichlids to some of the oddballs...

my frineds know this...at current count im caring for about 150 fish including a betta, cichlids, barbs and a pond full of koi and goldfish...
ontop of that i worked at petco and petsmart for years, about 75% of my time spent in guess what department...you guessed it...fish...

my "frineds" older betta (4 yrs old) is aparently showing signs of ich, i havent seen the fish so cant confirm, no new gravel, no new fish he lives in a bowl on his own so it seems odd that hed randomly get ich but shes saying its ich..whent to petco...(ahh petco) where she was handed a box of aquarium salt and told to go home and put it in his bowl...

so i explained ot her the lifecycle of ich and that salt will kill frefloating ich but while the ich is attatched to the fish in the reccomended dosage its useless beyond a tonic...
i told her to put his bolw on a heat pad, slowly raise the water temp to about 86 degrees (speeds the ich cycle the ich becomes free floating and cannot reproduce and dies, the salt speeds the death and is helpfull to the fish....)
keep the tank out of direct sun and add a bubbler for o2 aggitation to help since o2 exchange is lower at higher temps.
i also told her ideally she should disolve the salt before adding it to his tank because without any kind of agitation the salt will sit for a while before fully disolving....

her responce..."well im going to go by what multiple people at petco told me"

so i simply copy and pasted about 10 links saying the exact thing id just told her and am leaving it at that.

i mean you know what i do you call me a friend and weve had the discussion in the past about how much training you get when you start working at petco (take my word for it folks, its not much lol)
yet when i give you advice from literally a lifetime of treating ich, you treat me like im speaking gibberish and havent a clue?!

UGH...

i know i know, its "just a fish" but theres no need for it to die of ich at his age simply because someone who lies to call herself my frined has decided that i havent a lcue when it comes to fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 04:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,014,829 times
I hate when people think that big box store workers know more than experienced pet handlers.

I may get advice from a local fish store that has been around for some time, but petsmart, petco, walmart??? of please

Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 PM

i have NO problem with her going there getting some advice, reading the back of the product ect...
but then comming home posting about how they gave her aquarium salt...NOT doing her own reserch (i mean its not like ich treatment is hard to find info on online theres bajillions of pages on it lol) and then treating someone who comes in with experienced advice like there talking a funny language...

even better is after it all to be told "the info and links you poseter are irrelavant because its for tropical fish and bettas arnt tropical fish...

*blink blink*
given that bettas live in a water temperature of between 73 and 86 degrees, that officially makes them Warm water fish, which officially makes them tropicals as opposed to cold water fish like koi and carp...and then she argued with me more about how the info i posted was for "tropicals" and bettas dont live in salt water...

so i tried to explain then that tropical is simply the temperature of their normal habitat NOT the salinity of the water...bettas are FRESHWATER tropicals...
which as we know here...are completly different than marine fish from warm waters...

but despite trying to explain this im still treated like im clueless because bettas "arnt tropical fish"

she wont accept that im not talking about saltwater fish...and thinks im trying to say bettas need to be treated the same as saltwater fish because she doesnt seem to understand the difference between tropical and marine...

GAH...

final result is...

i realy hope the fish survives, shes acting like 4 is old for a betta and im currently looking at a beautiful delta tail whos comming up to 6...
its sad to think of him dying at 4 simply because the concept of cold water, tropical and marine fish is aparently tough to grasp.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:00 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,928,704 times
That's a shame. It's amazing how some people have tunnel vision! Several of my neighbors have fish, in particular Comets and Bettas. Hmm, but they keep dying. They actually joke about how the latest victim died. At most they'll discuss what a particular pet store advice they might have been given, which is of course wrong. I've tried to explain the proper water conditions for said fish, (not to mention letting your 7 year old being entirely responsible is a bad idea!) but they look at me in amazement, because after all, they are just fish!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:15 AM

i think thats the attitude that bugs me more than anything "there just fish"...*sigh*

my fish learn, they recognize me, they interact and most of all even if they didnt show any signs of inteligence what does it matter, they are living breathing creatures who feel pain and discomfort even if it were only on a primal scale, by taking it into your home you should be taking full responsibility for that life...and in this day of internet acess theres NO excuse for ignorance.

its not like you cant find info on these fish everyewhere onlin by just typing betta care into the serch engine...
but nope, 1/2 gallon tubs with peace lillies growing in them so you "dont have to feed them" and "hey ive had my fish 6 months...its OLD now. *sigh*

i look over at gigantor my 8" blood parrot, missing scales from down his side and remember the state he was in when i got him....hes a very active ravenous and silly fish now but he still bears the scars from people not doing their reserch first...

Old 08-12-2011, 09:04 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,390,257 times
Vent wise people do this with their cars, their tile jobs, their career move; Ask a friend for advice and then turn around and DEBATE them with "quality information" from someone who hasn't a clue, who they don't know, sheesh ----------oh, and my betta was almost six when I returned from Calgary so four isn't old. A friend has one in a nano tank that is at least seven and probably a lot older.........and actually really looks it!

You're done what you can with your expertise........for the fish, that is. Sigh......):

Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 PM

it realy makes me sad...
i mean i know there not people, but still its a living thing that deserved a chance and rather than taking the advice and possibly doing some good with it...
well i dont think anything should have to suffer, be it a person or a lowly little fish.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:59 AM

95 posts, read 505,293 times
I know exactly how you feel. I have been keeping fish for 32 years. I've had people come to my house and set up fish tanks after seeing mine (mine are no big whoop). They'll ask me for advice and when I give it they'll turn around and argue that the LFS told them to do it another way. This has happened multiple times.
Just last week a woman asked me for help setting up her 30 gallon tank. I was excited to help and would do anything to help someone wanting to get into fishkeeping. I gave her live plants, decor, filter media, and established substrate. A couple of days later she called to tell me she bought an angelfish, betta, guppies, gouramis, mollies, a rainbow shark, a pleco and a couple other fish that I cannot remember. She wanted to know if she should do a water change because the angelfish had clamped fins. I just gave her my crazy frustrated laugh and it got quiet.
She can rely on the LFS, I'm done...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish