Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,990,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
for me its a combination of space and money, i know i can pick up the tank relitivly cheap if i keep my eyes peeled, but equiptment, running and stocking it are different matters completly lol.

a small scale jelly tank definatly has potential to come to life eventually but anything bigger than a 55 would just be too big for my new house.
55?? That is a baby tank. go big or go home. LOL

actually I am very lazy and hate doing water changed. so I get big tanks, throw in tiny fish and lots of plants so that I don't have to do changes often.

I was attached to a tank at petsmart this week. it was a tall 150 gallon for 400 bucks (it included the hood, lights filters etc) and was quite a deal, but some newbie who doesn't know crap about fish bought it.

I wish him luck cycling that thing tho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,879,579 times
lol, i dont have a wall big enough to put anything longer then 48" on and width is also a problem lol. so 55 is my max if i also want to put furniture in my small house lol.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:33 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,975,823 times
Quote:
lol, i dont have a wall big enough to put anything longer then 48" on and width is also a problem lol. so 55 is my max if i also want to put furniture in my small house lol.
Alas, I am also limited in my space. I have a 65 gallon right now. If I had the time, space, and money I would love to get a 200 gallon and turn the 65 gallon into a discus tank.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 PM

752 posts, read 2,088,524 times
My dream tank would have to be one of those aquariums that doubles as a coffee or end table. I have seen these on eBay and they look awesome!

Old 02-28-2012, 12:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,116,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I want a really big amazon Tank where I can have odd fish such as freshwater rays and other weird amazon fish among the regulars (angels, discus, tetras,)
Make sure you keep the stingrays well fed or else you'll be spending a lot of money replenishing those tetras!

Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
i have a few...

but i have one realy weird one...
i REALY want (and am planning on having) a jellyfish tank...
yup i know...not realy "fish" but still.

our local aquarium has a room, its pitch black in this room and the walls have big comfy built in seating...and in the middle of the room is a 500 gallon tube with a color chainging light top and bottom...
and its filled with moon jellies...
they just do their thing, floating like etheral dancing ghosts, so soft, so peacefull, and as the light changes color so do they absorbing and reflecting it through every bit of their silk like bodies.

i cuold have sat in there for hours.

so i looked on line....just about passed out from the normal cost of a jellyfish tank and almost set the idea aside as an "in my dreams"
but for some reason today i started looking and ive found a number of small "desk top" kits that are acutally relitivly affordable, at least compared to most units...
i now have a new saving goal once i get my own place. i want it in the bedroom with a color change LED system so i can sit there each evening and just watch them dance!

so whats your DREAM tank?!
Sounds like an expensive living lava lamp to me . There's one exactly like that at the local public aquarium, it has to be round because edges can damage the jellies. They are really cool ethereal to look at - especially at night or when it's dark - would be an awesome feature, I wonder how you'd care for them, would you feed them powdered food?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 AM

I use to dream of having a huge tank/pond in a house designed around it, which would be like a slice of the Amazon (maybe a circular pool/tank about 20 feet in diametre and 10 feet deep) complete with artificial river bank, semi-flooded 'forest', plants, stones etc...it would feature fish of all sizes - not strictly South American, including oddities like freshwater stingrays, Arapaimas, red-tail catfish, Knife-fish, large eels, turtles etc.

Or maybe a similarly sized marine/reef tank.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,990,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Make sure you keep the stingrays well fed or else you'll be spending a lot of money replenishing those tetras!
its more about size of the tank than feeding often.

I saw my dream tank last week. it was gorgeous. I was hypnotized.

It looks like the store took all the rooms that were along one side of the store and got rid of the door, sealed the windows and added tempered glass, added tons of gravel rock and tree stumps and filled that sucker with water. They added tons and tons of fish in there and it looks awesome.

Think they said there were about 8000 fish in there.

I was mesmerized. You always see large salt water tanks but few ever make a 45 ft long by 12 foot deep flooded amazon forest tank.

AWESOME!!!! here is their website. wish they had more pics of the finished product. it looks so much better in person than the crappy pics posted.

I love huge fresh water tanks. Post links to some if you guys know of others.

I want it. I would buy the pet store just to sleep in it.

Back to the Rays. They are crappy swimmers and in a huge tank most often eat dead things on the floor of the tank than chase tetras all over the place.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:18 PM

836 posts, read 1,780,115 times
Quote:
i have a few...
i REALLY want (and am planning on having) a jellyfish tank...
I can't even dream about it - it seems so impossible (as of now)
But, yeah, if I could... I would LOVE to have jelly fish tank!!!!
I, too, always sit there staring at jelly fish at any public "aquariums"...

For now, the crown of my dreams is a salt-water coral tank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish