Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,252,697 times

Advertisements

so i have a 75 gallon freshwater tank that houses 2 large fish. 1 oscar that is around 8 years old and gigantic. 1 algae eater (pleco?) that is equally as old and huge. i have had these fish for their entire lives and all of a sudden this past week the tank had developed a serious funk to it. to the point that it was making most of the house smell too. i though it may just be time to clean the water. so as i am cleaning the tank i go to move some plants that my pleco was hiding behind (while up against the glass). i go to move the plants and the pleco just falls over.....he was dead for a good week! i had no idea because the plant had kept him propped up on the glass. when i removed him the stench was so powerful i nearly puked. no real moral to the story. but anyway, RIP J.D. McNugent II. you were a cool fish. sorry i let your corpse stay for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,080,828 times
aww, I am sorry.

I know the smell quite well.

The bayous here are filled with 2 ft long plecos that get beached everytime the bayou overflows. They get trapped in puddles and smell hella bad when they die

Old 09-19-2011, 12:44 PM

i could imagine the smell, along with the humidity in the bayou. now i have an old as hell oscar that is all alone in his tank. he lived his whole life with other fish. i may get him a tank mate but im afraid he'll just eat it.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:25 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,080,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
i could imagine the smell, along with the humidity in the bayou. now i have an old as hell oscar that is all alone in his tank. he lived his whole life with other fish. i may get him a tank mate but im afraid he'll just eat it.
lol. If he is that old I think you may just wanna wait him out.

Unless you have a really big tank with lots of distractions, and hide-y places

Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,941,999 times
unless your willing to buy a fish as large as he is i wouldnt bother.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 PM

yea i will probably let him just live out his life alone. maybe a few feeder fish here and there. i had wanted to turn this big tank into a lizard tank for a while now.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:23 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,505,569 times
We have had in our past, 150 gallon tank with every fish you could think of in it. I remember that smell only too well, and we had a very elite cleaning system. However as you stated, we had a lot of plants and castles and hills for the fish to hide under. Yep once ok more then a while, you miss a fish that dies, you just don't see it. We had a beautiful see thru fish tank thru 2 rooms, alothoug i miss some of the fish who started out as so little, grow so big. The smell of rotting fish, is something i will never miss.

We too had a huge huge algae eater, he got so big, he was scary looking, he got that big, he got bigger then any fish we had. I could not believe just how big this algae eater had gotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish