Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 AM

356 posts, read 829,930 times

Advertisements

I recently upgraded my one gallon tank with a guppy in it to a 2.5 gal with the guppy, and a couple of glofish. When I purchased the glowfish and brought her home, I realized her belly was huge! I went out to dinner and when I came home it had gotten tremendously smaller! She was back to normal size. I did some research thinking maybe it was pregnancy and sure enough there are now little black specs on my fake plant. I'm not sure how to see if the other glowfish I have is male or female to see if he will fertilize them. I have enough room for 2 or 3 more in the tank so it'd be cute to watch them grow.

Can someone show me where I can view some pictures of the difference between a male and female glowfish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:26 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
I hate to tell you this, but you really need a bigger tank for your fish. If you want to keep danios in your little tank, you should take the guppy back to the pet store, and get another glofish. Glofish are actually zebra danios that have been genetically modified to "glow". A lot of people are against this for obvious reasons, but I won't go there. But danios are schooling fish, and really need to be with a minimum of six of their own kind. But that would be a tight squeeze for a 2.5 gallon aquarium, and even more of a death sentence for your guppy. You might get away with just three glofish, but that's still awfully small for them and you'd need to keep the tank very clean. Danios can nip and harrass one another if there aren't enough of them to school with, too. And you'd never be able to keep any fry alive in it. To tell the difference between male and female danios, the females have bigger bellies.

Here are some links regarding danio care:

GloFish, Danio rerio, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding nformation for your tropical fish

Zebra Danio (Danio rerio) - A Profile of the Zebra Danio (Danio rerio)

Zebra Danio - Danio rerio Fish Care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish