Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:44 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times

Advertisements

thanks, unfortunatly everything in the parents house is electric, and they do have a generator but its not a huge one, enough to keep the fridge, freezer and pellet stoves going, they tried their best by it was just too much for the fish...i absoltuly agree, temperature for these fish is the most important thing, too cold for too long and they just cant do it.

their pond fish survived the ordeal though thankfully, i think mum would have lost it if she lost all those fish too (shubbies and commets)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 10:44 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
We got walloped yesterday by bad weather (snow even!) and lost power. I was really concerned about my tank. I just developed a new community tank so the bio load is much larger than what I usually have with just one angel. Another concern is that it has been cold so keeping the tank at a decent temp is important. And finally aeration to keep oxygen levels up. Fortunately, my electricity came back on today. Last night around 2am I added water (1 bucket) to the tank that was a bit warmer than usual. I know this isn't great for oxygen levels, but the temp was freaking me out. I put some of the bio filter in another bucket of de-chlorinated water. I was so tired that I had to go to bed. The electricity came on twice during the night. The filter woke me up as I had to deal with it. When I got up this morning there was no power again.

I headed for the home depot and purchased two Black and decker electromate power stations ($100/ea). It can jump a car, has a compressor to inflate, a 12v and 120v AC adapters. I'm charging them now and will test next weekend. I did use it for the filter for a little while before I charged it up because there still wasn't power in the house when I got home and it was partially charged. The filter pump seemed to be weak, but it was working. I'm just hoping for future outages that these two will work for my filter, air pump, and heater.

What do you use, if anything, during power outages?
Thanks for the idea. Not used to such power outages when the wind blows or the snow comes like it's been since I've been here in Maine. I will have to look for some of these.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Thanks for the idea. Not used to such power outages when the wind blows or the snow comes like it's been since I've been here in Maine. I will have to look for some of these.
The price isn't too bad. As I mentioned in a previous post, at some point I want to get a couple more so I can have two charging at work while two are running at home. And I just learned that my glass front on the fireplace can have the fireplace sort of work like a wood stove. I have a fire place in the same room as the tank. I don't know how true that is, but I'm going to test it out this winter. My other tank, which isn't set up yet, happens to be in the den with the wood stove. I'll definitely keep it there when I build that tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish