Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times

Advertisements

This is my boy, Bontaleer:

And his tank:

He has a coconut cave on the left side and a temple with an opening on the right. If at all possible, your betta will love anything with a cave-like opening...Bontaleer sleeps in his coconut cave or the temple every night. They don't swim while they sleep and need a safe spot to rest where the current won't push them.

He won't mind the hum of the filter. Fish have been living in tanks with filters for centuries now and they do just fine. The only thing I will warn of is the filter intake. Some small tanks have wide filters and a fish can get caught up against them. I'm thinking of Whisper in-tank filters. You can see in the picture how Bontaleer's filter has basically a stick that comes down...that style is less dangerous. You can also see that there is a square of floss over the filter's outlet. Bettas don't generally like very strong currents...they aren't particularly strong swimmers because of those long fins. My tank is overfiltered, meaning the filter is a larger size than the tank needs, so I slow the current by putting floss over the outlet.

You'll still need to do frequent water changes for a while until your filter can develop a colony of good bacteria. It's the bacteria that 'eat' your fish's waste and left-over food and keep the water clean.

Good job upgrading your happy betta's home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 09:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Bettas can live in almost anything. In the wild, they frequently live in water buffalo footprints that fill with water. Your bowl is fine. Much nicer than a water buffalo footprint.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:37 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Bettas can live in almost anything. In the wild, they frequently live in water buffalo footprints that fill with water. Your bowl is fine. Much nicer than a water buffalo footprint.
Please do everyone a favor, and do your research. That is an old wive's tale perpetuated by ignorance. For anyone seriously considering getting a betta, please see the links below to learn how bettas will not thrive in mud puddles.

Mythbuster: Do bettas really live in "tiny" puddles?

bettas buffalo footprints - Google Search

Old 08-22-2012, 07:08 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Please do everyone a favor, and do your research. That is an old wive's tale perpetuated by ignorance. For anyone seriously considering getting a betta, please see the links below to learn how bettas will not thrive in mud puddles.

Mythbuster: Do bettas really live in "tiny" puddles?

bettas buffalo footprints - Google Search

Thank you, saved me the trouble.

Personally, I wouldn't keep a betta in anything less than a 5 gallon. Bontaleer's tank is a 10 gallon (which he shares with 3 micro moth catfish.) He could SURVIVE in a tiny 1/2 or 1 gallon bowl, but he wouldn't thrive. It would also be a loss to me because I wouldn't get to see his natural behavior like sleeping in caves, pushing his ping pong ball around, or investigating for any tiny food bits that fall.

I think this myth continues because people are used to seeing 'lazy' bettas in bowls. Of course they are lazy! There's no room to do anything!

Betta actually do have a wide range of activity levels, which means some fish are quieter and some are always on the go. You'll never know what your betta's real personality is if you keep them cooped up. Also, just because bettas can survive the high ammonia levels that occur in bowls doesn't mean it is healthy for them. You would survive too in a house filled with smoke, but the damage it caused to your body would be cumulative. Ammonia causes the same kind of cumulative damage to the fish's organs and immune system, making them more vulnerable to disease and early death.

Basically these fish get punished because they have the amazing ability to breath air and can endure conditions other fish can't.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
The more I read about betas, the more I want one for a little 5 or 10 gallon upstairs or in the kitchen or something.

Here comes another 6 week cycle, I am sure...

Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
thank you to the ones who busted the betta puddle post...
that little bit of "information" has ended many a betas life short...
peple keep telling me bettas only live a couple of years and thus i must be lying about my now almost 6 yr old betta...
they cant seem to grasp the concpt that idiots made up the myth about the puddles in order to sell them a easy pets in an "i want it now" society. and given the right conidtions these fish are long lived!

YES they often live in rice paddy feilds...yes these rice paddy feilds are muddy "pudles" but these puddles are far from SMALL flooded pady feilds take up acres and acres and acres of land!
add to that that betta are not very strong swimmers and often get washed into and stranded in small puddles and tada...
just becaue they are found there doesnt mean its their prefered habitat.

one more case of "just because you CAN...doesnt mean you SHOULD"

Stan, i LOVE my little betta, he lives in a 7gal in my bedroom and hes such a character, he swims right to the front when he sees me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish