Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:54 PM

726 posts, read 1,231,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
AWSOME story! Thanks for sharing : )
I concur
Muse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 12:06 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,426,229 times
Default My Einstein...

I really am nuts - or must be - because I was sitting here crying as I read your story. My Einstein recently died - a case of fishy euthanasia (I had to help him along as he was suffering in the tank) & this story reminded me of him.

He, too, was a warrior fish & made me fall in love with him. My grandson was in love with him - when he was upset, watching Einstein swim back & forth in the tank was the ONLY thing to stop him from screaming. Einstein had several of his own survival stories including surviving a badly diseased tank that many others failed to live through. Einstein has gotten sick & always survived.

As I read your story I was a bit horrified that I gave up this time & helped him along. I was scared he'd suffer dying some long drawn out death like some of my other fish had suffered. I was so attached to Einstein that I didn't want to sit & wait for him to die.

I know this all sounds ridiculous because it is about a fish - but, I'm just corny that way - he was a living being & he really did provide real calm, warmth, & entertainment for my world. I miss him when I look into the tank. I missed him as I read your story - when I have my repping powers back - I'll shoot a couple your way...

Thank you -

Oh, yeah, in an effort to try & save him, I held him up in the tank & kept him swimming, I hand fed him (as I often did), I did this for a LONG TIME... he kept curling in two (as you described) & falling to his side on the bottom of the tank & then when I'd gently hold him up to swim him around - he'd get going again. I called the Emergency Vet (as I often do with Fishy emergencies - they're used to me sorta) - They are the ones who suggested that flushing him would be more humane than allowing him to die slowly in the tank - he'd likely not survive the flush in his sickened state. I flushed & I sobbed my eyes out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Last Saturday night my seven year old son comes down stairs and informs my wife and I that his fish has something black or green stuck in its mouth. I trudge upstairs thinking it's likely a flake of fish food. Nope. Somehow the poor thing had lodged a piece of gravel in its mouth.

I call my wife to join us so we can figure out what to do. She walks into the room, looks down into the tank and without hesitation reaches in and grabs the fish. She starts gently pinching around the mouth eventually working the gravel out. She places the fish back in the tank and we both immediately notice that it's bent at almost a 90 degree angle. It was still swimming and looking otherwise normal, just that it was literally bent in half. Again without hesitation she reaches in and pins the poor little guy against the side of the tank and starts massaging it where the bend is most pronounced eventually getting it almost back to straight. We assure our son that the fish is likely to be alright but we can only now hope and pray. Neither one of us expects that the fish will live through the night.

Fast forward a week and the fish is doing fine. By morning he'd straightened out completely and returned to his normal food begging ways. You just can't make this stuff up.

Finally I would point out that this fish has served as a metaphor for how to get by in life. Last year we found him floundering on the floor after one of our cats scooped him out of his tank. We don't know how long he'd been air-locked but we placed him back in the tank and he recovered. We recently relocated from New York to North Carolina and he rode shotgun with me for 10 hours and did just fine. And the irony behind his life story is that he was a feeder fish we'd bought for my son because the higher end gold fish we'd originally stocked his fish tank with didn't survive their first week (we have him two years now). Having spent a lifetime not really liking fish as pets I find myself curiously attached to this one. He knows how to survive and I sort of like that.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,585,374 times
Default Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
I really am nuts - or must be - because I was sitting here crying as I read your story. My Einstein recently died - a case of fishy euthanasia (I had to help him along as he was suffering in the tank) & this story reminded me of him.

..... They are the ones who suggested that flushing him would be more humane than allowing him to die slowly in the tank - he'd likely not survive the flush in his sickened state. I flushed & I sobbed my eyes out...

Sorry for your loss. It's funny how we connect to living things in unexpected ways. But a rewarding relationship comes in many shapes and sizes and are all worth mourning when they come to an end.

An amusing update regarding my fish Gupper. We recently adopted a new kitten to add to our menagerie. He of course fell in love with the fish tank, the water and the little darting orange thing within. What our newest addition doesn't know is that Gupper has already broken in another kitten and knows how to handle himself. He often swims near the surface, waiting for the little guy to get just close enough and when he does, up comes the fish tail, slap goes the tail back into the water thus showering the unsuspecting feline. And it works every time because the cat avoids the tank for days at a time after each shower.

I'm thinking it was an experience similar to this one that inspired Theodore Geisel when he gave a starring role to the goldfish in his classic "The Cat in the Hat".

Old 09-29-2007, 07:30 AM

27,383 posts, read 27,429,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Last Saturday night my seven year old son comes down stairs and informs my wife and I that his fish has something black or green stuck in its mouth. I trudge upstairs thinking it's likely a flake of fish food. Nope. Somehow the poor thing had lodged a piece of gravel in its mouth.

I call my wife to join us so we can figure out what to do. She walks into the room, looks down into the tank and without hesitation reaches in and grabs the fish. She starts gently pinching around the mouth eventually working the gravel out. She places the fish back in the tank and we both immediately notice that it's bent at almost a 90 degree angle. It was still swimming and looking otherwise normal, just that it was literally bent in half. Again without hesitation she reaches in and pins the poor little guy against the side of the tank and starts massaging it where the bend is most pronounced eventually getting it almost back to straight. We assure our son that the fish is likely to be alright but we can only now hope and pray. Neither one of us expects that the fish will live through the night.

Fast forward a week and the fish is doing fine. By morning he'd straightened out completely and returned to his normal food begging ways. You just can't make this stuff up.

Finally I would point out that this fish has served as a metaphor for how to get by in life. Last year we found him floundering on the floor after one of our cats scooped him out of his tank. We don't know how long he'd been air-locked but we placed him back in the tank and he recovered. We recently relocated from New York to North Carolina and he rode shotgun with me for 10 hours and did just fine. And the irony behind his life story is that he was a feeder fish we'd bought for my son because the higher end gold fish we'd originally stocked his fish tank with didn't survive their first week (we have him two years now). Having spent a lifetime not really liking fish as pets I find myself curiously attached to this one. He knows how to survive and I sort of like that.

This is for real???!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,371 times
This made me really, really happy, and probably saved my fish!

We have 3 goldfish, a black moor (Nox, who we've had a little while), and two comets (Pi and Max, later additions). Since getting the comets Nox has learnt a lot of fun new tricks like how to eat bubbles (I swear he never did before) and how to stuff his face with as much food as possible in 5 seconds. We had been giving the fish peas for the last couple of days to flush out the system, so to speak. While I was making dinner tonight I happened to look over at the tank and noticed Nox making weird faces at me. Now, they're still little guys, a couple of inches from nose to the tip of the tail, so I had cut up the defrosted peas so they could eat them. Nox had lodged a larger piece I must have missed in his mouth and was attempting, unsuccessfully, to either swallow it or spit it out (probably the former). Frantically searching the web, I can across this post and promptly got the piece out.

Thank you so much for helping me not freak out about my favourite fish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish