Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:41 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times

Advertisements

Last Saturday night my seven year old son comes down stairs and informs my wife and I that his fish has something black or green stuck in its mouth. I trudge upstairs thinking it's likely a flake of fish food. Nope. Somehow the poor thing had lodged a piece of gravel in its mouth.

I call my wife to join us so we can figure out what to do. She walks into the room, looks down into the tank and without hesitation reaches in and grabs the fish. She starts gently pinching around the mouth eventually working the gravel out. She places the fish back in the tank and we both immediately notice that it's bent at almost a 90 degree angle. It was still swimming and looking otherwise normal, just that it was literally bent in half. Again without hesitation she reaches in and pins the poor little guy against the side of the tank and starts massaging it where the bend is most pronounced eventually getting it almost back to straight. We assure our son that the fish is likely to be alright but we can only now hope and pray. Neither one of us expects that the fish will live through the night.

Fast forward a week and the fish is doing fine. By morning he'd straightened out completely and returned to his normal food begging ways. You just can't make this stuff up.

Finally I would point out that this fish has served as a metaphor for how to get by in life. Last year we found him floundering on the floor after one of our cats scooped him out of his tank. We don't know how long he'd been air-locked but we placed him back in the tank and he recovered. We recently relocated from New York to North Carolina and he rode shotgun with me for 10 hours and did just fine. And the irony behind his life story is that he was a feeder fish we'd bought for my son because the higher end gold fish we'd originally stocked his fish tank with didn't survive their first week (we have him two years now). Having spent a lifetime not really liking fish as pets I find myself curiously attached to this one. He knows how to survive and I sort of like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 09:27 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,852 times
Thanks for the great story@!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:08 PM

302 posts, read 1,444,071 times
Tough fish!

Old 09-03-2007, 12:15 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Last Saturday night my seven year old son comes down stairs and informs my wife and I that his fish has something black or green stuck in its mouth. I trudge upstairs thinking it's likely a flake of fish food. Nope. Somehow the poor thing had lodged a piece of gravel in its mouth.

I call my wife to join us so we can figure out what to do. She walks into the room, looks down into the tank and without hesitation reaches in and grabs the fish. She starts gently pinching around the mouth eventually working the gravel out. She places the fish back in the tank and we both immediately notice that it's bent at almost a 90 degree angle. It was still swimming and looking otherwise normal, just that it was literally bent in half. Again without hesitation she reaches in and pins the poor little guy against the side of the tank and starts massaging it where the bend is most pronounced eventually getting it almost back to straight. We assure our son that the fish is likely to be alright but we can only now hope and pray. Neither one of us expects that the fish will live through the night.

Fast forward a week and the fish is doing fine. By morning he'd straightened out completely and returned to his normal food begging ways. You just can't make this stuff up.

Finally I would point out that this fish has served as a metaphor for how to get by in life. Last year we found him floundering on the floor after one of our cats scooped him out of his tank. We don't know how long he'd been air-locked but we placed him back in the tank and he recovered. We recently relocated from New York to North Carolina and he rode shotgun with me for 10 hours and did just fine. And the irony behind his life story is that he was a feeder fish we'd bought for my son because the higher end gold fish we'd originally stocked his fish tank with didn't survive their first week (we have him two years now). Having spent a lifetime not really liking fish as pets I find myself curiously attached to this one. He knows how to survive and I sort of like that.
Hey send it to a parents mag and see if they publish it. or better yet pay you for it.
Your right you just cant make this kind of stuff up... Great story.....

Old 09-04-2007, 05:05 AM

578 posts, read 2,529,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Hey send it to a parents mag and see if they publish it. or better yet pay you for it.
Your right you just cant make this kind of stuff up... Great story.....
As a tropical fish owner for years as a hobby; I preferred Tiger Oscars (they are Cichlids) and have lots of personality; I bought 'feeders' for them, when small they eat baby guppies, then go on to the goldfish for lunch.
That is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. We used to have a 'fantail goldfish" that lived to 12 yrs. old. SO BE PREPARED. he might be with you for while.
ALTHOUGH: I WAS DISAPPOINTED THAT YOU DID NOT DOWNLOAD A PHOTO OF YOUR LITTLE HERCULES GUY...OR IS HIS NAME PHOENIX? What is his name BTW? WE NEED PICS, please, I'd love to see this dude.? gal? gotta name?
CONGRATS! Submit that story to someone; Fish Monthly, Parents, McCall's Pet dept. whoever; but that is a doozie.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:27 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,466,049 times
Do you folks make housecalls ? We have a fish that will only swim around the tank counter clockwise... If you guys could work with him a bit... Ahhh nevermind ! Great story, lucky fish.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:56 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,023,363 times
what a wonderful story! a congratulations to you and your wife for saving the fish's life. 2 years ago i purchased 2 feeder fish for my outside pond (not knowing any different) and right after i put them in the pond they immediately swam out of sight never to be seen again or so I thought. this year i purchased 5 fish (a variety of fish) for the pond a week after putting the 5 fish in the pond, 7 showed up to feed one morning. turns out my 2 feeder fish survived (on what i don't know cause i never fed them - thought they were dead) and they look just as beautiful as the other slighty more expensive fish.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:14 AM

417 posts, read 1,282,515 times
NYC2RDU--OMG, thank you, thank you, I so needed the laugh. I could just picture the bent fish getting a chiropractic adjustment against the side of the tank. And leave it to a mom to leap right in and save the fish--can't let a fish die and break a little kids heart.

And as Miborn said, submit this story to a magazine and get a few $$ for it--don't change a word of it, it is perfect. Reader's Digest pays for stories, too.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:38 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,691,229 times
Cool ty for sharing neighbor!

A very refreshingly, funny, worthwhile story to tell to your
grandkids one day,

Old 09-16-2007, 10:18 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,580 times
AWSOME story! Thanks for sharing : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish