Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,427,576 times

Advertisements

The eggs from the Tetra's was pretty cool. I used to watch my Platy's give birth straight into fishfood too. It was cool to watch. I have a video of eggs from my GBR somewhere I need to post too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 AM

315 posts, read 564,686 times
I recently added 2 male bettas to the family and I couldn;t be happier with them! I LOVE them, and they do have their own personalities. My Dad was a huge fish keeper 20-30 years back and he wants to get back into it but it's harder for him now. I do think a Saltwater tank is worth it, but the price sticker is a bit too much for me.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:46 AM

16,914 posts, read 16,160,429 times
Nice....not at all ich-y.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:52 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,371,339 times
Someone told me that you should never keep less than 3 fish. One gets lonely, two - one will bully the other one, but three, the bully fish is outnumbered. True?
Beautiful tank photos btw. we recently tried a ten gallon with my kids, but it was difficult to keep clean even though we only had 3 small fish in it. Could not find a decent siphon/vacuum anywhere that worked for us. Had a good one years ago but the plastic parts got all brittle and tried locating another and could not
That and the filter system we had on it, took those filter cartridges which deteriorated very quickly and the filtercartridges were getting very pricey.
I do like goldfish a lot though and once had a "carnival" goldfish for 7 years before he died.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,863,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
I recently added 2 male bettas to the family
Hopefully not in the same tank!?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,387,003 times
very Zen;
considering what's on TV now a days I can watch this for hours.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Hopefully not in the same tank!?
Same tank, divided.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
Same tank, divided.
Whew!

But seriously, I've wondered about that....don't they spend all of their time glaring and posing at each other? I have a small mirror for my male betta, and he spends a bit of time being angry at it. Once he's out of the line of sight of it, though, he just kinda hangs out and explores.

I suppose it depends partly on tank size, too? Mine is just a 5 gallon.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Whew!

But seriously, I've wondered about that....don't they spend all of their time glaring and posing at each other? I have a small mirror for my male betta, and he spends a bit of time being angry at it. Once he's out of the line of sight of it, though, he just kinda hangs out and explores.

I suppose it depends partly on tank size, too? Mine is just a 5 gallon.
Depends on tons of factors I think the biggest one, however, is the Betta's personality. One of my Betta's, I am convinced you could put him in with another Docile Betta and he'd live very peacefully...lol not that I would ever try that but he's amazingly docile. He does flare sometimes but always at a reflection or something, never at my Guppy he's in with or the other male betta. He actually plays with his Guppy buddy. The other one spends a short amount of times (usually whenever I turn on the aquarium light) in the morning flaring at the other one but when he doesn't get a response, he stops. He's very curious though and is often flaring at everything else LOL. He even flares at me. He's a Deltatail and is a bit prettier than my Veiltail, and I think he knows it. He's always showing off his tail fins and everything but he doesn't seem overly aggressive or anything. I wouldn't trust him with the Guppy though, which is why he's alone on his side.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 PM

Cute. Mine is what they called a double tail, he is always flaring at his reflection. He also flares at me whenever I go near the tank, like yours does. He chases his minnow tank mates, too, on occasion.

And when I feed him, he attacks the flakes as if they were alive, haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish