Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 AM

35 posts, read 97,484 times

Advertisements

I know dogs and cats are probably the most popular pets, because people think they are smart. Many people also think fish are dumb, boring.

But it is not true.

Take a look at the videos of my fish, then judge it by yourself

1. Fish with personality
My home bred female Dwarf Gourami would shoot water out of her mouth at me whenever I open the top panel of the tank. She expects food every time I do that. If I don't feed her soon, she'll move away.

2. Fish that takes care of their offspring
Her(the spitting Dwarf Gourami from the first video) parents spawned under a bubble nest built by her father. Her mother would "kiss" the father on the side near the rear fin, then he would wrap around her to squeeze out the eggs. Then the daddy would pick up all the eggs one by one and place them into the bubbles in the nest, then add another layer of the bubbles to make sure they stay in place.

3. Fish that builds his own nest for spawning (I'd like to see a dog building a dog house haha... )
Here is the video of her father trying to build a bubble nest with plants and his own bubbles. Obviously he had succeeded as you see in video #2.

Once I tried to pull his nest away from filter outflow, he attacked my finger pretty hard lol. Brave little thing.

4. Fish siblings that don't like each other
Here is the video of her and her brother @ 8 weeks old. Her brother started to show adult color. But they obviously do not like each other.

5. Fish who might have problems with each other from time to time.
My two German Blue Ram cichlids. Both are female. They always stay together 100% the time ... when they are not fighting lol.
Caught them fighting on video

6. Fish that will defend their nest
Video of my two German Blue Ram defending their own little nest from the "brother" dwarf gourami, and a Platy. Usually GBR would clean a spot on a flat rock to spawn on, but I don't have such rock in my tank, so they would dig a hole in the substrate in a corner to lay eggs. (right rear corner of the tank in the video... behind the plants)

Although, the eggs would never hatch because there is no ... male friend.

7. Fish that will show off to each other to see who is the boss of the group
My Black Phantom Tetra would dance against each other from time to time to "show off" with their fin extended to the fullest.

8. Just videos of full view of my planted community tank after I remodeled it(replaced that shining heater with a black one, rearranged the plants)
My cardinal tetra spawned in my community planted tank. All the eggs became instant fish food. As you can see, a Black Phantom tetra got too excited at eating Cardinal Tetra eggs that her color had changed.

As you can see, it is fun to keep fish. Not boring at all. They don't need attention like dogs and cats... at least not all of them lol. I certainly don't have to walk my fish every day.

It is also said that by watching aquarium fish, there is a claim effect on you, blood pressure can get stabilized, and you will get into a better mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 07:13 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,129,247 times
Cute fish and your tanks are beautiful. I used to have an Oranda goldfish who would jump to sit in my hand if I put it just above the water.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:44 PM

438 posts, read 947,390 times
Right on. Fish are great and although they do require upkeep, they make good pets for people who can't have a dog or cat for whatever reason. My fish definitely have personality, and my flowerhorn in particular shows surprising awareness of her surroundings. When I got her from her breeder, she understood that I was not her original owner and was very cautious of me. Eventually, she starting warming up to me and now she will follow my movements when I walk by her tank, just checking out what I'm doing. She recognizes my husband and I are different from other humans and gets excited when we approach her tank. I can't "pet" her like I used to do with my betta, because she associates my hand with food and has some fierce teeth! My little guys are not quite as smart, but are still quite fun to interact with.

BTW your tank is great. I haven't been able to get a planted tank going yet

Old 02-15-2012, 01:31 PM

41,975 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Great videos!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Fish are great. Over the years I had a roommate who had a tank and later a boyfriend who loved tetras. My ex kept an incredible tank for his parents that had all kinds of brightly colored fish and coral. So much fun to watch them.

Last edited by Yzette; 02-29-2012 at 12:32 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I LOVE aquariums and a fantasy of mine is to have a big one that acts as a replacement to a wall in my home...with exotic salt water fish, including a dog fish roaming around - looks like a shark (bc it is one)!

Too expensive and ridiculous maintenance. But I love aquariums! Could stare at them all day. This is why I free dive and snorkel - like being in a giant aquarium!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM

247 posts, read 266,580 times
Your tank is so beautiful!

Old 02-29-2012, 03:06 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Getting back to fish, many years ago, the fellow I mentioned who liked tetras had a tank. We had neon tetras, rummy-nosed tetras, and Bala sharks. It was a great tank, and they lived for a long time.

I didn't realize that Bala sharks are endangered, though. This was in 1991, so maybe they weren't endangered at the time, but as I understand it now, they are decimated in the wild and it's basically the pet trade that's keeping them going.

I wish I could remember the different fish my ex had in his parents' tank. It was so peaceful to watch them. If I had the room, I'd consider getting a beginner's tank, myself.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,861,634 times
One tip I can give you is that large tanks are actually easier to keep than small ones. When I was a beginner I thought I had to start with a 20 gallon, but actually 55 gallon tanks make good beginner tanks.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:14 PM

460 posts, read 982,396 times
I recently bought two oranda goldfish for a 5-gallon tank. I love dogs but with my career and lifestyle, I would not be able to uphold my responsibilties in taking care of a dog.

Oranda goldfish are easy to maintain and aesthetically pleasing. One is calico and the other is orange. They are social creatures and keeping one fish in one tank is not a good idea. I plan to move them to a 20-gallon tank in the next few years.

If you move around, it is much easier to move goldfish around too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish