Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:03 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,425,834 times

Advertisements

This is my first time having fish in a while. We are headed out of town. The 2 betta are in separate fish bowl. What's the best way to feed the bettas for 3 days while we are away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:45 PM

196 posts, read 697,089 times
They will be fine without any food for three days. Or a week or two. Enjoy your trip.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
Three days would be fine, two weeks would NOT. I know someone who went away for two weeks and left their betta without food, and it died. You are taking a big risk to leave fish behind without food for two whole weeks, plus it's cruel. If you ever do plan to go away longer than a week, just ask someone to stop by every couple of days to feed it. I have those weekly pill containers that have a section for each day of the week, and I fill it with the proper amount of food for each visit. The person caring for my fish just has to empty out that daily portion.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
there are also vacation feeders, slow release feeders, just be sure to take out any unused portion when you return as they do fowl the water.

and agree, 3 days is "safe" 1 week is pushing it...2 weeks is just plain cruel...
fish are not magical, they NEED to eat or will starve to death just like any other creature would...
You wouldnt leave your dog for 2 weeks without food...would you?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:43 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Isn't there anyone that could take the fish in for a couple days? After all, they are only bettas. They can live in a drinking glass for crying out loud, lol.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:01 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
This is my first time having fish in a while. We are headed out of town. The 2 betta are in separate fish bowl. What's the best way to feed the bettas for 3 days while we are away?

Guide to betta care while on vacation. | Betta Headquarters

I think that is a good guide. Some people like to give the betta a day of fasting to avoid issues that can come with overeating.

I really liked the tip about covering the bowl BUT remember you have to use a net so you don't suffocate your fish. A clean stocking foot stretched over the top will be just fine. Or get some plastic screen from the petstore and rubberband it on the bowl. My betta is a jumper when he is hungry. They will be fine for your three day vacation. I so suggest to clean out the bowl through just so they are less stressed.

You may want to look into plants that bettas like. They snack on them too.:

Plants for Betta Fish Tanks | bettafishhome.com

Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Guide to betta care while on vacation. | Betta Headquarters

I think that is a good guide. Some people like to give the betta a day of fasting to avoid issues that can come with overeating.

I really liked the tip about covering the bowl BUT remember you have to use a net so you don't suffocate your fish. A clean stocking foot stretched over the top will be just fine. Or get some plastic screen from the petstore and rubberband it on the bowl. My betta is a jumper when he is hungry. They will be fine for your three day vacation. I so suggest to clean out the bowl through just so they are less stressed.

You may want to look into plants that bettas like. They snack on them too.:

Plants for Betta Fish Tanks | bettafishhome.com

That is good advice, although just to clarify for people new to bettas reading this thread, bettas are carnivorous, and are labrynth fish. Their mouths are designed for gulping air from the surface, and catching floating insects. A lot of people mistakenly assume bettas can eat plants, but most will do so only because they are curious or starving. Your link above doesn't actually state that bettas will eat plants.

http://bettacare101.com/mythvsreality2/

Bettas are carnivores (insectivores) by nature; in the wild, they eat a variety of insects, and occasionally the eggs and fry of other aquatic species. While they might will intermittently nibble at plant matter if hungry enough, they can not obtain adequate nutrition from plants. Any betta actively consuming the roots of a plant is likely doing so as a last resort while attempting to stave off starvation. They absolutely must be fed an appropriate carnivore diet.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
That is good advice, although just to clarify for people new to bettas reading this thread, bettas are carnivorous, and are labrynth fish. Their mouths are designed for gulping air from the surface, and catching floating insects. A lot of people mistakenly assume bettas can eat plants, but most will do so only because they are curious or starving. Your link above doesn't actually state that bettas will eat plants.

Betta Care 101 - Myth vs. Reality

Bettas are carnivores (insectivores) by nature; in the wild, they eat a variety of insects, and occasionally the eggs and fry of other aquatic species. While they might will intermittently nibble at plant matter if hungry enough, they can not obtain adequate nutrition from plants. Any betta actively consuming the roots of a plant is likely doing so as a last resort while attempting to stave off starvation. They absolutely must be fed an appropriate carnivore diet.

Yeh its why I said snack. But they do love plants. Its good for the stress level just like us peeps. LOL

Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 AM

Yeah, my bettas lay around on the water sprite like it's furniture. LOL

Old 03-27-2012, 04:47 PM

35 posts, read 97,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
If you are only going away fro 3 days, you do not need to feed them at all.

Fish can go on without food for longer than a week no problem at all.

If you are going away for 2 weeks, then I would have suggested an automatic feeder from EHEIM brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish