Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:01 AM

200 posts, read 554,922 times

Advertisements

Sorry guys. Didn't explain myself properly. The goldfish are in a different tank as I did know from the get go that the guppies would need a heater and light and that the goldfish didn't. So, they are not in the same tank!

Just happened to mention my other dilemma with the additional two carnival goldfish to add to my other two who are happy. The goldfish I am not too concerned about as I am planing on getting a larger tank for the four of them. Thnaks for the info on two filters though, hadn't thought of that. At some point, when my kids are not so attached, see if I can find a nice pond at a neighbors for one or two of them!

My guppies are my main concern though. Do you think I would shock them if I did a major clean of the tank, remove 90% of the water, clean the rocks of algae etc? Try that, see if that works? My gut is telling me that the mixing of the two fish is what the problem is. It seems weird that there are no new babies in months and that they are dying one by one.

Thanks for your help guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 09:32 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
I'm happy to hear they are separated, a lot of people do mix all types of fish with goldfish. I'd be cautious about a major tank cleaning, though. You don't want to cause a mini-cycle by tossing the good bacteria. Definitely keep the old filter in if you do a large water change, and I wouldn't do such a large water change, maybe 50%. The algae shouldn't make the fish sick, but you can certainly give the rocks a scrubbing for appearances. If you start vacuuming the gravel and it's stirring up a lot of gunk, just do one third of it in a day so you don't get an ammonia spike, and do another third another day, and so on. And of course it's possible your fish are just sterile, that's fairly common with pet shop fish. Have you tested the ammonia and nitrate level recently? You don't add salt, do you? I wouldn't recommend it long-term. Also, you add a water conditioner with water changes, right? I ask all these questions because you just never know.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the help. Good to know about the vacuuming - I do tend to do it all at once, mainly because of time constraints. Never been a problem before though..?
No salt.
Yes, put in water conditioner
Haven't tested levels - to be honest, have been 'winging' it for the past 18 months with no problems, but maybe I should. I see your eyes rolling at this point...

Thanks again!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen123RE View Post
Thanks for the help. Good to know about the vacuuming - I do tend to do it all at once, mainly because of time constraints. Never been a problem before though..?
I just mentioned doing it in steps in case you hadn't been doing it regularly. Sometimes people will skip it for weeks or months, and the gravel can become really dirty.

As for testing, it's a good idea, especially since you're having problems with the fish. It could help pinpoint what's wrong. And no, no eye rolling here.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 PM

Ok, so I bought a test kit and the nitrates were high, so bought something called prime to help with that. Spoke to a very knowledgeable guy at the pet store and he made recommendations to change the water , approx 30% every 4/5 days or so until the nitrates come down. He didn't like to recommend chemicals and interestingly enough had alternative options. Aquarium salt and baking soda, although very small amounts, he suggested these for acidity and something else that I forget at this moment...

Anyway, I think I will be on the right track and will get all the fish back to healh and happiness. even bought a 36 gallon tank for the goldfish today. I know its not as big as it should be, but, to be honest, its all I could afford right now. If all 4 goldfish survive, then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

Thanks so much for all your help....and not eye rolling!!

Cheers!

Old 09-20-2013, 06:43 AM

The goldfish will be fine in the 36 for some time to come, and very happy.

I agree that water changes are necessary to get the nitrates under control, I'd do them even more frequently to start with. And to keep it under control, do 20-25% water changes weekly once you get them back to normal, you do have a fully stocked tank so you'll need to keep up with that. That's how nitrates get too high in the first place, lack of water changes and gravel vacs. The baking soda is just a temporary measure, you wouldn't keep adding it here on out. Baking soda will raise your ph, which can be lowered from high nitrates, but unless your water is naturally low in ph (you can test it yourself) you wouldn't need to keep adding baking soda w/water changes. It would be easier adding a sea shell to the tank to raise the ph if necessary. What about the salt, did the LFS person recommend it temporarily, or long term? There has long been debate over whether or not to add salt to aquariums with mollies and guppies, with most believing it should only be used during illness. I do not add salt to my tanks, and they thrive. I have mollies that are 4-5 years old. Your goldfish certainly don't need salt, it would irritate their protective slime coating. Keep in mind too that there are different types of salt. Marine salt provides the brackish water, and is more suitable for mollies. But again, salt is not necessary long term. Whether chemicals or natural additives, once you start adding salt/baking soda/etc., it's hard to keep up with the appropriate amounts. Here's a discussion of adding salt to tanks so you can get an idea of what I mean. (I like to add links including other discussions on fish forums, to show I'm not pulling advice out of thin air. ) So if you want to go brackish this will help. I think more frequent water changes should do the trick, good luck!

To salt or not to salt, that is the question..

Old 09-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Just seeing this now. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Update, goldfish are loving their new tank!!!! Im kinda loving it too, have it in my office and enjoy watching them discover that there is a world above the floor of the tank!!

As for guppies, I have done a water change, about 50% and vacuumed some. Hopefully this will help. I will check numbers again tomorrow.

Have not put the salt in, its still unopened aquarium salt. Read that its doesn't disolve so was hesitant. Was not planning on doing anything with the goldfish as they are happy for now! I'll take a look at that link - thanks.

Thanks again!!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,827,945 times
Im glad they are liking thier new tank

Please tell them I said hi!!

Merci
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish