Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:12 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times

Advertisements

Last night I had to euthanize a guppy. My best guess is that he had a slow-growing tumor. Over 6 weeks his body started to swell but he was still able to eat and swim normally. I knew it was time when he starting sinking to the bottom of the tank and the skin on his underbelly started to split.

I started out with twenty four guppies two years ago and I'm down to three. When these three are gone I will never have another guppy. My tank is perfect...ammonia and nitrites 0, low nitrates, PH 7, temp 78, not overstocked.

But over and over again I've had repeated issues with the guppies. Three times I've had outbreaks of bacterial infections that killed groups. The other fish that share the tank (cory cats, rasboras, and sparking gouramis) have never had any issues (knock on wood).

These are petstore guppies and I suspect they are so inbred that they are frail and more prone to disease. I won't support poor breeding practices by giving more money for these poor fish, just like I won't purchase dwarf gouramis when so many will die from the isovirus.

They're very pretty fish with so much variety, but I'd rather have more rasboras that will actually thrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 05:03 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Ahhhhhhhhhh im so sorry buddy

How long did you have him??

Old 05-29-2012, 05:23 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
That's too bad, I'm sorry that happened to you. I've had similar problems with guppies. If you get some healthy ones they will live a few years, but so often the pet store guppies are prone to disease, or already come diseased.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:59 PM

200 posts, read 555,105 times
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and a relatively new fish 'keeper'. I have a couple of questions to do with guppies.

We were given two 'free' guppies by our local library about a year ago. These two turned out to be male and female and the female happened to be pregnant as 8 days later we had 7 new baby guppies!

We went out and bought a 10 gallon tank, with heater, light and filter for our two guppies initially, then hoped that the tank was large enough for 9! I read everything I could and despite reading that adult guppies could eat the babies, they never did. My kids wanted a couple more fish, and so we bought two mollies. Okay, I know some of you are going to give me a hard time for possible overcrowding, but the guppies that we have are the smaller variety, less than an inch long as an adult. So we had 11 fish.

Of course, as seems to be the norm for this tank, the mollies had 3 babies a few weeks later. The two adult mollies died soon after.

So, I had read that the mollies could take almost a year to grow to adulthood, and I was looking forward to seeing what colors they would be. However, no fish in the tank ever grew to be larger than the average guppy in the tank, no more than an inch. I wonder why the mollies didnt grow, or maybe they died? At adolescence they looked similar to a female guppy, so maybe I didn't notice if one of the mollies died, thinking it was a guppy.

Today, we have one little catfish type fish to eat the algae and about 10 'guppies'. I say 'guppies' because I think that the mollies and guppies bred and that I now have some kind of hybrid fish. These fish do not seem to be reproducing either?

So, does anyone have experience with hybrids and their lifespan? I seem to be losing fish recently and with no babies to replace them I wonder whether I will lose them all?

I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 AM

It is possible you have "muppies". Or "gollies". Rare, but I've heard of it, and they wouldn't reproduce.

Also, sometimes fish will become stunted in overcrowded, too small tanks. Their bodies stop growing, but their intestines continue to grow, sometimes even their spine will bend. Not saying that's what happened in your case, but some species of mollies grow to 4" and are not considered suitable for a 10 gallon tank. In such cases they could be stunted, and would not live more than a year or so. I have mollies that are at least 4 years old, they are approaching old age.

I am concerned about your "catfish", not many are suitable for a 10 gallon tank, and some, like cories, need to be in a school with other cories. The common piece grows to a few feet in length. What does your catfish look like?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Thanks andthentherewere3!

It does sound like this is whats happening. I did not think that they would be overcrowded as. like I said, they are the small guppies. I have seen larger ones at petsmart, but these are the smaller variety. Maybe the mollies were not a good idea...

As for the 'catfish', I called it a catfish for lack of its real name. It is not a catfish, but a small, just an inch or so long, light striped fish that is an algae eater that the petstore recommended to live with guppies in a ten gallon tank. It is extremely fast and zips around like its on fire!! Its usually hiding somewhere and doesn't really eat all the algae, despite the petstore telling me it would.

Something else, I have noticed the females bloating before they die. I tried a frozen pea to see if that would help, but it didnt really. You're all probably rolling your eyes at me now, but I honestly want to do the best for them, so am asking advice so I can keep what I have left...unless they are gollies or muppies and therefore won't last too much longer.

Thanks again!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:25 PM

The bloating sounds like dropsy:

How to Diagnose and Treat Dropsy in Aquarium Fish

I've had that before. Argh, I'm so tired of guppies and their diseases! Really diseases in fish altogether. I did two stupid things recently, I bought guppies from one pet store, and a blood parrot cichlid from another. You should always quarantine new fish before adding them to a tank, well, I did put the two guppies into their own tank at any rate. One of them immediately developed columnaris and died during the night. The blood parrot I put in another tank, with fish, and he had parasites. Immediately all the fish in that tank started flashing, and nibbling at one another. The blood parrot flopped over and died. So I am kicking myself for not isolating him first, and hoping that the meds I put in that tank will help with the parasites. As for the tank with the remaining guppy, at least he looks okay so far, I am treating that tank, as well. I am wondering if you should do some medicating in yours too, maybe others will chime in here. It sounds like you have something going on, too.
How often do you do partial water changes?

I have never heard of guppies only an inch long, though. I am curious about that. It's strange that all the fish are staying so small.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 09-09-2013 at 01:34 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 03:34 PM

Oh no! We just got two new goldfish at the carnival (courtesy of my husband!) and Ive put them in a bowl for a few days until they seem fine and I can put them with the others...although now need a much bigger tank! Ugh! and to think we started with two free goldfish and two free guppies!!!!

Maybe meds would work? I change about 10% a week , then about 50% every two months. That seemed to be fine until recently. I clean the bottom of the tank out with one of those suction pipes once a month or so and boy, are those guppies dirty!

My gut feeling is that they have cross bred as the fish look like guppies, but have the more bulging eyes of the molly. Plus, there have been no babies in months, whereas they were always popping out a baby or two.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
If you stuck two goldfish in with 10 guppies and an alge eater you will need a much bigger tank. Goldfish need about 10 gallons and 1 inch per guppy and 1 inch per alge eater, so youre talking a 40+ gallon tank.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:07 AM

Goldfish have completely different requirements from guppies, mollies etc., and shouldn't be kept together. They need cooler water, guppies need warm water. Their food requirements are a little different, too. And eventually the goldfish will grow large enough and eat those 1" fish. Comets get much longer than fancy goldfish. Carnival goldfish are typically comets/commons and grow over a foot long. They are really pond fish, not ideal for aquariums for this reason. Forty gallons for two comets alone would be a tight squeeze once they are adult, and really pooping 24/7. They are dirty fish, and their waste in such a small tank will eventually create health issues. You say guppies are dirty, just wait til those goldfish get bigger. But it's doable if you keep up with water changes. First and foremost, you need another tank for them, bowls are unhealthy for goldfish, that was commonly done decades ago but now most of us have learned about stunting etc. If your want to keep them for a few years, put them in a 20 long (not tall, as they are long goldfish and need length to swim in an aquarium) for now or get a 40 gallon tank. Goldfish live 25 or more years. And get a good filter, it's always best to buy double the size of what they recommend on the filter packaging.
I have two filters on my goldfish tank.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 09-14-2013 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish